Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

ezPDF v1.2.0.0 Now Fixed

[ Edited ]

There have been a number of threads about problems with ezPDF that many were finding annoying.  The initial one being that only content on SDcards was accessible, and it required a card installed your NC to be able to even start up.

Unidocs heard those complaints, and responded to them very quickly, offering an enhanced version 1.1.1.0 last week that, amongst other things, claimed to correct the SDcard problems.  Unfortunately it didn't, and I reported on that in other threads.  :smileysad:  While that version DID work, and well, on rooted NookColors (and other Android devices), it did NOT work on the stock NCs.  In fact it was worse, because an ALL PDFs click would show NOTHING (previously it at least showed the card contents).

I reported these problems to the developer last week, and within 3 days, he had version 1.2.0.0 released, which you could download from the App Shop as of yesterday.  [Wow.  If only B&N moved half that fast!]  It turned out that some code changes unique to the NC had to be made, but it now:

a) no longer requires any SD card to be present to launch,

b) does not require you to migrate PDFs from your internal memory

to the SDcard before use, and

c) accesses internal content without a hitch.

So the major problems that in the past prevented me from recommending it have been rectified.  I still think it's badly in need of a Manual or User Guide, or something, because not every operation is intuitive.  However, it's a very powerful and useful program, loaded with excellent features, and at a super low price.

If you've been hesitant in the past due to negative comments, you may want to take another look.  Other than the learning curve, I think many will find that it addresses all the complaints people had about the stock reader for PDFs, and adds a lot more capabilities.

- Mark

(No, I'm not connected with Unidocs in any way, and bought the program twice myself... once in the Nook Shop and once in the A-Market for my rooted NookColor.)

Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife
0 Kudos

Re: ezPDF v1.2.0.0 Now Fixed

it must have been a significant update as i had to archive 2 apps to get it to install.  i still don't like the way it navigates pages and load times are still kinda slow.  the recently added PDF reader is more intuitive, loads pages faster (although for 2-3 seconds they are blurry so that's kind of annoying), and i like the page turning better.

♥ Children make you want to start life over
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Before I spend the "giant" sum of $0.99 (twice, for normal Android as well), I'm curious as to the ease of zooming in, scrolling about, and viewing the following PDF (FAA instrument chart -- about 6MB):

http://www.airmen.aero/terps/.raw/2011-05-05/enroute/ENR_L34.pdf

I'd also be curious as to the same for RepliGo.

The standard PDF reader on the NC runs out of RAM during loading.

The Adobe Reader for Android (free on the Android Market) handles it OK, but loading (after download) takes about 35 seconds. Zooming and panning is reasonably quick after that.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

Mack_the_Knife wrote:
it must have been a significant update as i had to archive 2 apps to get it to install.
No.  Still ~3.3 MB.  I didn't have to Archive anything, but perhaps you have a lot more apps installed than I do.  I did have to got through some convolutions with B&N's App Shop previously, to get v1.1.1.0 updated.  It said it was, when it really wasn't.  That wasn't the first updated App I ran into that with.
i still don't like the way it navigates pages and load times are still kinda slow.  
Could you comment on that a bit more?  I'm not thrilled with the animated page turns.  They're 'attractive' enough, but even at the fastest speed, I'd really rather just turn them off.  But if I use the thumbnails at the bottom to page thru, it's extremely fast (maybe half a sec).
the recently added PDF reader is more intuitive,
If you're talking about Repligo, I can believe it.  ezPDF needs some basic documentation to explain how it operates.  It leaves everything to discovery, which isn't really intuitive.
loads pages faster (although for 2-3 seconds they are blurry so that's kind of annoying), and i like the page turning better.
Um, if the pages are blurry for 2-3 seconds, then I don't see how that is faster.  I.e., the reason they're blurry is because it's still busy rendering the page images.  ezPDF doesn't take extra any time for that.  Or am I misunderstanding your meaning? 
(Repligo is cheap enough I may just buy it as well.  Then I'd have them all, since I already bought the Quickoffice Pro.  I suspect each will have its own unique strong and weak points.  Thanks for your report!)
- Mark

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

I just updated and I still don't see how to access files on main memory vs sdcard.   Also when I do About it says 1.0.240.  How do you do it?

Mark_OB1

DeanGibson wrote:

I'm curious as to the ease of zooming in, scrolling about, and viewing the following PDF (FAA instrument chart -- about 6MB):

Wow, that's a monster.  Takes about 35 seconds to download, either from my PC or my NC.

Well, not too impressive, in ezPDF.  It doesn't crash, but it's far from fast. The first render took about 40 seconds, while I had the NC in portrait mode.

I then flipped it to landscape, and didn't think it was doing anything, flipped it back and noticed it had started working on rendering into landscape, so I flipped it back again.  Took it about a minute to render.  Panning was extremely smooth, but I couldn't see any details, so I pinched to zoom.  It zoomed in grainy, then started to render again.  Another minute wait.  Sigh.

It rendered and looked good, but I noted that panning just revealed white space.  Nothing seemed to be happening as I dragged it around. I.e., it was just the initial segment in a sea of white space.

So eventually I dragged the whole image off-screen, and that seemed to trigger it to see it needed to "fill in some missing pieces".  Eventually it did so, looked good, and I could scroll over a fairly large panorama.  But the whole chart STILL wasn't there.  Panning was very smooth, with occasional short pauses while it brought a missing chunk in from cached storage, but not too bad.

I had it zoomed to about 4 screen widths and 2.5 heights, and some chunks never did seem to populate.  I'm not sure why.  I never did get the left-hand E segment so show up.  Nor the bottom right J segment (though the top was there).

The Adobe Reader for Android (free on the Android Market) handles it OK, but loading (after download) takes about 35 seconds. Zooming and panning is reasonably quick after that.

Since some pieces were missing, I'd have to categorize this test as a fail for ezPDF. 

Whoops... while typing this, the bottom right J segment appeared.  Must have been over a minute just for that piece to show.  So I went back and repositioned over the white space for E.  Took another 3 minutes for it to fill in.  Perhaps I just zoomed in an unrealistic amount?  (Maybe 1500 x 4000... maybe a 20 MB image?)  When I panned back to the right to check, J was still there.

I'm guessing I was burning some serious CPU cycles there.  I can't say precisely, but it must have been a good 10 minutes for the whole puzzle to fill in.  And it seemed like I had to "jog" it to get it to do so.  All in all, I'd have to say it was pretty painful.  I felt like I had just pushed a bolder up a hill.  :smileywink: 

But if you didn't pan too quickly, it was all there and 100% smooth.  Really fast pans could take a second to fill in the missing pieces.  Really not bad, but WAY too long to get to that point (IMO).

Just for SAG, since I was going to toss it, I decided to try and zoom in even further.  It did so cleanly, again in less than a minute.  Panning revealed there was nothing else to be seen, though as I left it alone, it started to fill in again.

- Mark

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
0 Kudos

Thanks!!!  By the way, what OS?  B&N 1.1/rooted, B&N 1.2, other?

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mogulman wrote:

I just updated and I still don't see how to access files on main memory vs sdcard.   Also when I do About it says 1.0.240.  How do you do it?

If it says the version is 1.0.24.0, then you still have the old version.  With that one, the only way to access main memory files is rather kludgey, and results in them being copied to your SD card.  You don't want that.

For reasons I don't understand, the B&N App Shop "updates" don't always seem to work.  At least on the first try.  With other apps I've sometimes had to  power all the way down and restart.  Or delete the app by Archiving it, then Unarchiving to get the 'real' updated version.

Like I said, I can't explain it... just make note that's it's a PITA, and not the fault of the App developers.  B&N needs to figure this annoyance out and fix it.

Once you get the latest update of ezPDF on your NC, if you tap the About button, you will see it says 1.2.0.0 at the top, with no description of any changes.  Then 1.1.1.0 below, with lots of information.  Then you'll know you're good to go.

- Mark

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:
Thanks!!!  By the way, what OS?  B&N 1.1/rooted, B&N 1.2, other?

Stock 1.2.  It seemed like that would be the most relevant to the most people.

- Mark

Distinguished Correspondent
HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

mogulman wrote:

If it says the version is 1.0.24.0, then you still have the old version.  With that one, the only way to access main memory files is rather kludgey, and results in them being copied to your SD card.  You don't want that.

For reasons I don't understand, the B&N App Shop "updates" don't always seem to work.  At least on the first try.  With other apps I've sometimes had to  power all the way down and restart.  Or delete the app by Archiving it, then Unarchiving to get the 'real' updated version.

Like I said, I can't explain it... just make note that's it's a PITA, and not the fault of the App developers.  B&N needs to figure this annoyance out and fix it.

Once you get the latest update of ezPDF on your NC, if you tap the About button, you will see it says 1.2.0.0 at the top, with no description of any changes.  Then 1.1.1.0 below, with lots of information.  Then you'll know you're good to go.

- Mark

I had the same problem.  As Mark said, Archive the App.  I've seen posted elsewhere that some people recomend doing a full power off, and then power on, so I did that too.  Then unarchive.

Note -- the All PDF icon, which did not seem to do anything before, now lists the folders in main memory that contain pdf docs.  They have arrows next to them.  Click one, and it lists the contents of the folder.

Click the My Docs icon, and it returns you to the ezPDF library structure.  In my case, it is on the SD card, which I don't usually remove.

This is a welcome update.  Good luck.

That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
New User
Denelson
0 Kudos

HI There, I did update my Nook Color with new ezPDF v1.2.0.0, but I cannot find it anywhere.

I just check the about menu from my current ezPDF and I keep seeing v. 1.0.24.0.

I have reboot my Nook Color and nothing happened.

Can someone help me please?

Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife
0 Kudos

i read on another nook forum a developer for a certain app telling someone to archive, then unarchive the app in order to realize the upgrade.  that seemed odd to me.  maybe someone else could substantiate the reasoning behind that or, if you're the audacious type, you may want to just give it a try.

♥ Children make you want to start life over
Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I was able to view that huge PDF but it took a while to open and panning/zooming were very slow.

DeanGibson wrote:

Before I spend the "giant" sum of $0.99 (twice, for normal Android as well), I'm curious as to the ease of zooming in, scrolling about, and viewing the following PDF (FAA instrument chart -- about 6MB):

I'd also be curious as to the same for RepliGo.

Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
Mark_OB1

The reason behind trying Archiving is that it actually deletes the App completely off your Nook, and frees up the space.  Then when you Unarchive, you're guaranteed to download the latest (updated) version of the App (because they don't keep the old ones around on thei servers).

Potentially, when you just do an Update, either the Nook may look like it's doing it, but not actually perform it (maybe it thinks what it downloaded hasn't really changed?).  Or it does download it and when trying to install it, can't write it over the old version if it's still running?

Just speculating, but myself and others have confirmed that just simply Updating by itself doesn't always change anything.  Thus more convolutions are involved.  Since we don't really know why it fails sometimes (and not others), we try whatever we can think of. 

In this case, that's Archiving; and also shutting down all the way and rebooting.  That would clear out cached system information, and may free up whatever was blocking things.  Trying one or both has always fixed problems for me in the past.

- Mark

Inspired Contributor
JedStarkiller
0 Kudos

I tried to update like three times and still no luck I did the arcjive unarchive even tried turning it off after the unarchive. Any other tips?
From the mind of me....

New Tech Support Forum - http://community.jvgeek.com
Contributor
Ross_H
0 Kudos

I tried updating last night without any luck. I even tried shutting down the NC after every step and made sure I hadn't opened ezPDF when I archive the app.

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

I am wondering what the difference between the exPDF app in the B&N store and the one offered in the Android Marketplace.  I am rooted and have the version from the Marketplace.is now 1.2.3.1.  It seems to get updated weekly.

Does anyone have both or know what the difference if any is?

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

rbentley101 wrote:

I am wondering what the difference between the exPDF app in the B&N store and the one offered in the Android Marketplace.  I am rooted and have the version from the Marketplace.is now 1.2.3.1.  It seems to get updated weekly.

Does anyone have both or know what the difference if any is?

Yes, I have both.  1.2.0.0 on my stock NC, and 1.2.3.1 on my rooted unit.

The last two sets of changes were (also available at market.android.com):

- Bug in Voice Reading is fixed
- Rendering Process during scrolling pages is improved
- You can change page location during pinch-zooming

- New Setting, Page Scrolling Type
- New Setting, Page Scrolling Sensitivity
- New Setting, Whether to temporarily disable the function that:

changes page with scrolling on Text-Column-Fitted state

- Above 3 Settings can be found at category, [More-Settings-Page Scrolling]
- Dictionary Search is supported with ColorDict app

You are correct that ezPDF does get updated frequently, and those changes get pushed to the A-Market immediately.  The source code for the B&N version is the same (except for one small change, required for NookColor path handling), so there's nothing extra to do to prep it for the NC (or the Amazon appstore).

Even if Unidocs submits the updates to B&N at the same time, they will always take an extra week (or possibly more) to propagate through the system, and become available on their servers.

- Mark

New User
jmparsons
0 Kudos

After reading the blurb for this app assuring me that the SD card problem had been resolved, I bought it yesterday (6/4). I am using an unrooted NC.

Launching the app, I get an immediate message that it needs an SD card, and there is no way to check the version. I presume it's the 1.2 build.

Yeah, it's only a buck, but I do still feel ripped off.

Apart from buying and using an SD card, is there any other workaround?

Joe Parsons

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

jmparsons wrote:
After reading the blurb for this app assuring me that the SD card problem had been resolved, I bought it yesterday (6/4). I am using an unrooted NC.

Launching the app, I get an immediate message that it needs an SD card, and there is no way to check the version. I presume it's the 1.2 build.

Yeah, it's only a buck, but I do still feel ripped off.

Apart from buying and using an SD card, is there any other workaround?

Joe Parsons

Joe,

sorry to hear you're having problems.  I can tell you that 1.2 does work fine for me, on a stock (unrooted) 1.2 NC, with no SDcard present.

I would also presume that what you got was v1.2.0.0 as well.  The older versions should no longer be available, unless B&N backed up one level.  So that's a mystery I can't explain.

But the only way to check your version if you're getting that message is with an SD card inserted.  :smileysad:  All versions prior to 1.2.0.0 did that for me, and it was really annoying.

- Mark