Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
TheReadingGardener
0 Kudos

free books with nook color

NOT happening. I was told when I purchased my nookcolor thst i would be getting free books. What's the deal?
Wordsmith
alliecatTX

Re: free books with nook color

Generally, there are a few free books that show up when you first register it - a classic or two, a couple of children's books, and maybe a sample of a novel.  They are not always the same books, and I did have difficulty when I initially registered my device, but erasing and deregistering fixed it immediately.  As for other free books, there is a Free Friday selection every Friday (there are numerous threads on how to access this information), and you can find many free books at bn.com (try searching with 0.00 and maybe a genre that you're interested in).

Contributor
TheReadingGardener
0 Kudos

Thanks! Is it normal to opt for a free book. Put you password in and the it tells me I have purchased the book? Seems strange.
Contributor
TheReadingGardener
0 Kudos

Thanks! Is it normal to opt for a free book. Put you password in and the it tells me I have purchased the book? Seems strange. I hope I'm not being charged. I'm new at this.
Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

TheReadingGardener wrote:
Thanks! Is it normal to opt for a free book. Put you password in and the it tells me I have purchased the book? Seems strange.

B&N treats every transaction as if money changed hands, hence the term transaction.  if the book is free, you are billed $0.00.  They have to have something to show in their accounting database.

Jeremy

Contributor
TheReadingGardener
0 Kudos

Thak you. This has been very helpful.
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

If interested in free books, you may want to go over to the nook book discussion board and look fir the free books thread. Also, keep an eye open for Free Fridays where you are offered a free book. It usually shows up at the top of your main shop area, but you may have to scroll through the pages to get to it.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

JinSC wrote:

TheReadingGardener wrote:

B&N treats every transaction as if money changed hands, hence the term transaction.  if the book is free, you are billed $0.00.  They have to have something to show in their accounting database.

Jeremy

I think it is just how they apply your cc number to the DRM. It works for the pay for books, so why add a second method?
Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH

There are many free books available through the B&N Store -- try sorting by price -- and through other sources on the Internet such as Project Gutenberg (older classics that are in the public domain because their copyrights have expired including the first couple Agatha Christie novels which are her only two works old enough to be in the public domain).  Note that for the Project Gutenberg ebooks you will download them using a regular computer and then copy them to your Nook Color via USB cable.  On these boards, copying via USB cable from a standard computer is known as "sideloading" to distinguish from "downloading" directly onto your Nook device with its own wireless connection.

Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
Contributor
omastigia
0 Kudos

You can try nookdeals.blogspot.com , she posts often and every friday does a recap of the books available each week. Also inkmesh.com also posts free e-books.
So much time and so little to do! Stop, reverse that.