Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
keliLJ
0 Kudos

games

I'd like to download a few simple games to my Nookcolor, can I do that? and where would I find the games to dowlnoad?

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Re: games

Not yet.  The Android 2.2 update and associated BN app store will be available in January.  Until then, try to amuse yourself with books, magazines, videos, music, sudoku, crossword, chess, and the internet.

Contributor
keliLJ
0 Kudos

Thanks..........I think I can do that.  :smileywink:

New User
Mimi07
0 Kudos

Are we really going to see apps soon for the NC?  I just bought mine a few days ago, and though I am interested in reading, I was moved to purchase one based on the news of android apps running on it.  I have a droid x and love it.  There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on whether or not BN will really do this, but I have seen you respond with confidence to a few posts in here.  Am I going to be very happy later this month?

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

Mimi, yes B&N has released a developers kit and will be opening an app market sometime in the first quarter of 2011.  Please note that this will NOT be the full Android Marketplace.

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

@Mimi

As RedRapier stated there will be an app market in the near future.  It may not be January, just first Quarter of 2011.  B&N has also stated that they intend for the NookColor to be a reading centric device, not necessarily a full tablet, and that intention will direct their process for approving apps for the market.

I'd have to do some googling to find the original articles I read all of this on, but when pressed B&N basically said they intend for all apps on the NC to be something that would interest their reader audience.  Of course that gives them a lot of latitude, and considering the ability of the hardware many people are reading between the lines and assuming (like I am) that many major apps (like video, email clients, and games) will be supported to a degree as well.  Of course this is mostly speculation.

If you cannot wait it is possible to "root" your NC, which is totally legal but may cause you update problems if you are not real tech savvy, so it would be able to access the android market place.

My suggestion, is to enjoy the reading and web browsing for now, and wait with baited breath for the release of the app market :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
momto4wild1s
0 Kudos

When I bought my nook color i was misinformed! I was given the impression that it would support almost all websites and could do many functions! However this is not true! Most websites need to be viewed as mobile in order for them to load correctly! Video does NOT play unless its in mp4 format which leaves youtube out of the picture!   Responding to email or posting on forums from the nook also poses a challenge.  The update they are making will not fix these issues. I suggest if anyone wants something similar to a pad, they should go with the pandigital :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

I would not advocate for anyone else rooting their NC unless they are comfortable with the implications & moderately technical. However, I have rooted mine and it is a terrific tablet. I use some of the built-in applications. The ePub reader is not bad. However, I now have my choice of many other readers, as well as a world of other applications. The screen makes it better than anything else anywhere near the price.

Correspondent
Traff
0 Kudos

momto4wild1s wrote:

When I bought my nook color i was misinformed! I was given the impression that it would support almost all websites and could do many functions! However this is not true! Most websites need to be viewed as mobile in order for them to load correctly! Video does NOT play unless its in mp4 format which leaves youtube out of the picture!   Responding to email or posting on forums from the nook also poses a challenge.  The update they are making will not fix these issues. I suggest if anyone wants something similar to a pad, they should go with the pandigital :smileyhappy:

I suggest that people find out what they're buying before handing over their cash.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

That's good advice, but these are complex products and the descriptions contain words that can easily mislead. For example, the descriptions say "Android" prominently, but the NC is not a full Android tablet.

Correspondent
draksig
0 Kudos

I am hoping that B&N will give wide lattitude to what it allows on their marketplace.  They already have games so I don't see why they will not allow more.  You can already watch videos so I don't see why they would not allow for video streaming or even start selling/renting videos you can watch on computer (Similar to how amazon already does video rentals/sales) or the NC.

The primary thing I wanted a tablet for was reading ebooks and surfing the web, so teh NC already fulfills my needs good,

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

To me, the most important consideration is whether B&N enables "sideloading" of apps form .apk files. If that is enabled, then most Android apps can be put on the NC. If sideloading is not enabled, then the B&N Marketplace will be a very narrow window, and many, if not most, of the excellent and useful apps will be unavailable.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If they make that window too narrow, I foresee a lot of rooted Nooks...

:smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Contributor
MagicMalory
0 Kudos

Youtube works fine for my on my NC. Takes a little while to load. But, looks great.

I haven't come across a website that didn't load right. It sounds like your wireless might be kinda awful.

Inspired Contributor
littlelotus2000
0 Kudos

Yes, youtube is fine: use the mobile version. I haven't had ANY issues with my NC, but shortly before it came out, I bought the Pandigital Novel: I got it to work, but dear god, it was like pulling teeth! It has far less internal memory and a slower processor, so web-browsing was horrible, and the touch screen is a resistive screen, not capacitive like the NC's, so you'd have to tap 4 or 5 times to turn a page: I returned it after a couple of days. I think they did a great job with the NC, and I'm looking forward to any additions to an already-excellent little device!

Contributor
DudetteLB
0 Kudos

There are games online with work perfectly with the Nook Color. This is a membership site (works on almost anything), but there are always 3 free-to-play games at the top of the front page, and they change each Sunday, so it's worth bookmarking in any case.

http://games.net4tv.com

Inspired Contributor
mn55019

Thanks for this link and also the link to the mobile youtube.i have resisted temptation to root my NC so far and am waiting(not so patiently) for the update and more apps.I am delighted with my Nook already but more apps and flash would be icing on the cake.

Contributor
Burke_Read_Terp
0 Kudos

Re: games (Nook Color)

Thank you for that posting. It was just what I needed for my six year old. It takes a min to load the movies she likes to watch and she is going through books like crazy. This buys me some more time until the expected update for the Nook Color. I was told Jan but now its Feb. so we shall see. Thanks again 

Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife
0 Kudos

Re: games (Nook Color)

[ Edited ]

--> I was told Jan but now its Feb

wanna bet it's March...

♥ Children make you want to start life over
Contributor
AryaSerious

Oh, how I hope we get some version of Scrabble available to us.  Even if I have to play against the game, I'd love to have Scrabble.  :smileywink: