Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

iPad Far Behind Amazon, Barnes & Noble in E-Book Sales

The Apple iPad will make e-book readers obsolete.  People won't want to carry around those inferior devices when they can have all of their media-consumption needs met by the iPad...and the iPad will completely rule the e-book market like they do music sales.

OR MAYBE NOT.  It seems that a year and a half later, even with 2 iPad models available, the unwieldy 10-inch device is still trailing--FAR TRAILING--the two e-reading devices, the Kindle and the Nook, when it comes to total e-book sales.  And let's be honest:  a big part of that has to be that few people want to try to read on a 10-incn screen.  Here's the link that I read that contains the information I'm citing above:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gVzmfW4nqiXYYJ6slmcVEq3io7jQ?docId=11d67449d2e54a9...

What it says is that the iPad has so far been an underachiever in ebook sales, that Amazon remains the dominant frontrunner, but that the real surprise has been how Barnes & Noble has come out of nowhere and stolen some of Amazon's business through its Nook line, and completely trounced Apple. 

Inspired Contributor
bchau
0 Kudos

Re: iPad Far Behind Amazon, Barnes & Noble in E-Book Sales

For users who want a great eReader that can also function as a tablet, NookColor is ideal especially if you are prepared to root it. I have rooted mine using ManualNooter 4.5.25 and the NC is now very capable. Love it.
Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images

This of course, has nothing to do with the fact that you can buy, oh, say, 4 Kindles or Nook WiFi's, or 2 nook colors for what the Ipad2 8 gig WiFi only cost.  

I agree that a 10 inch device is a pain to read books on, but a 7 inch device is no joy to serf the web on either, or try to type using the built in keyboard.   Both devices have their strengths and weaknesses.  

But hey, if you have to continually convince yourself that the Nook Color is the best thing ever invented, go for it. 

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Not sure what your problem is, Wild Images.  I'm just pointing out something in today's news that covers ALL NOOKS.  I didn't even specifically mention the Nook Color....just the Nook Line. Nor did I say that any Nook is always better than an iPad. Merely pointing out that the iPad has failed in its promise to bring about the extinction of dedicated e-reading devices.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

No one is disputing the ipad is a great device, but it has its limitations. Mostly those imposed upon it by its overseers. I think what richardwrite25 points out is interesting and probably explains more than a couple things. Steve Jobs began grumbling about the Agency Model house he built and Apple is changing the way competitors do business with their ereader apps. richardwrite25 didn't say the NC is the device above all, he was merely pointing out sales of ebooks. When the ipad was due to be released witg ibooks, Jobs helped create the Agency Model which he perhaps figured would make any other devices irrelevant and would make people think they needed a great ipad to view such expensive content on. He forgot that bigger ain't always better even though people were already reading ebooks on iphones. This info from richard is interesting.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
MikeNC

I honestly do not get, nor like, these companies all trying to claim their gadget is the new "do everything" sort of thing.  The reality is that every single device has things it is good at, and things it is (at the least) less than ideal for.  Sure, I can edit word and excel files on my iPhone, read eBooks, watch movies or TV, but it is hardly the optimal choice in a device for such things.  The iPad is much better for things like note taking, watching digital media, mobile web surfing and so on.  But, the iPad is not an optimal ereader - it is too large, too heavy, can't be read in bright sunlight, and if reading is the primary intended use, it is far too expensive.  Meanwhile, my NC is a much better ereader, but a much less spectacular tablet.    And neither the iPad nor the NC (or any available tablet) can come even close to truly replacing my laptop or desktop computers for many, many things.  If one really wanted a long battery life, small ereader to carry everywhere with them, the new Nook simple touch is likely ideal.

It just speaks to the truth of the old adage that a jack of all trades is master of none.  I tend to dismiss any marketing or advertising that tries to tell me that any one device can truly replace all my other personal electronics and do all the tasks I use them for equally well.  The iPad is a perfect example - I love mine for what I use it for, but I never got it thinking it would replace my ereader (the weight and size alone make it less than optimal for that role).  And I have a new Nook pre-ordered because even my NC, as much as I like and use it a lot, is not optimal for a grab-n-go carry everywhere ereader.

roustabout
0 Kudos

I caught this online this week.

The sentence that drew my attention was this one:  ""They still haven't moved their e-books into their iTunes store"

Everyone using an i-anything uses iTunes for purchases.  I suspect that many users are unaware of other ways to purchase for the ipad, like, in the books application. 

Apple's problem here is that the apps are so heavily silo'ed  - no real filesystem visibility in non-rooted devices;  every app sees only its own stuff - that apparently getting their books to be sold via itunes is very hard.  Which is a big miss for them, because if they could sell books in the itunes shell, many more users would also have an interface to read them on their PCs or Macs, as they do now with their music, using itunes as a music and video hub on both the device and the computer. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wild_images
0 Kudos

Not sure what your problem is, Wild Images.  I'm just pointing out something in today's news that covers ALL NOOKS.

No Richard, you are not.   You're stating your opinion on an article that you read, but giving people the false impression that what you are writing is what the article actually says.  

Nothing in your opening paragraph is stated in the article.    You call the Ipad  "the unwieldy 10-inch device" which again is not anywhere in the article, and then you say "And let's be honest:  a big part of that has to be that few people want to try to read on a 10-inch screen." Which seems to be pure conjecture on your part because I could not find that anywhere in the article either.  

When you write "Here's the link that I read that contains the information I'm citing above:", one might think they would find the information you are citing in the article.   When you say that the Nook has come out of nowhere and "completely trounced Apple", which again the article does not say,  you fail to mention that Amazon has 60 to 65% of the Market, and the Ipad has 10%, which leaves B&N at best with 25%.   If you're looking for a trouncing, that 60 to 65% number from Amazon compared to the 25% number from B&N seems closer to it than the 25% to 10% B&N to Ipad comparison.   

If asking for a little truth in advertising is a problem for you, well, EXCUSE ME.   But don't try to spin it like politician to prove you made the right decision when you bought a NC instead of an Ipad.   Honestly, it's OK to have a little Ipad envy.   

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

>>Honestly it's OK to have a little iPad envy.<<

Is it also OK that I had an iPad and took it back?  And that I've never considered returning my Nook?  Not trying to boast, but I can have any electronics device that I want....and the iPad does not suit my needs......not at that price point.

I think you're the only one who thinks that I was saying that MY personal commentary was contained within the article. 

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

richardwrite25 wrote:

>>Honestly it's OK to have a little iPad envy.<<

Is it also OK that I had an iPad and took it back?  And that I've never considered returning my Nook?  Not trying to boast, but I can have any electronics device that I want....and the iPad does not suit my needs......not at that price point.

I think you're the only one who thinks that I was saying that MY personal commentary was contained within the article. 

Possibly he is, but I doubt it. You presented an article about total sales, then speculated the reasons. That is in my opinion the biggest reason we post articles here. "Hey gang! Just read this article. Lets disect it as a group." There are bound to be fans of the less than top performers that disagree and will say so in their own way, which is fine. In this case, there was a mild attack on either your presentation or the speculation, i could not tell which. I thought you were clear on what was in the article and what was your speculation though, but there are bound to be a handfull that disagree. I for one find the topic interesting and appreciate your take on it.
Wild_images
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you had said you read an article and this was your personal take on it, I would have never said a word.   

Next time, try that without the embellishments.   If I want spin, I can go to FoxNews.com.   

Example, the article says Amazon has 60 to 65% of the e book market, while Apple has 10%.  It doesn't say what B&N has.   The Nook Line is not the only E reader line out there besides Apple and Kindle, nor are B&N, Amazon, and Apple the only place to buy E books, so B&N may not be "trouncing" Apple as you stated, nor might the Ipad be  "still trailing--FAR TRAILING--the two e-reading devices, the Kindle and the Nook"   You don't have the facts to support that statement.   It's your opinion, and is not supported by facts published in the article you claim to be citing. 

You also left out Richard Curtis's quote that "The iPad offers so many audio visual applications that reading is not given as much priority as it is in dedicated (reading only) devices like the Nook and Kindle,".

You tried to push your fanboy agenda and got called on it and now you want to cry foul.  That's silly.  Suck it up and move on.  

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

If you don't want spin, a thread based on any news article is probably not for you in the first place. EVERY news source has a spin (ugh... I know). Whether or not you see it depends largely on your already established point of view. Spin was already established in the article before it was linked to this thread. If your goal is to avoid spin, I would suggest you avoid ALL news sources and threads that would suggest there may be a link to a report. Its a shades of gray world we live in. Nothing is black and white.
New User
Scoot62
0 Kudos

I am thinking of buying a Nook Color.  IF I order today, is the NC the "newest" NC?  I read here a new version is available June 10.  Is this the color or B&W Nook.  Help, if you please.

I do not own an ereader, iPad, etc.  Thanks for any information.

roustabout

Here, I'll say what the OP didn't:  I owned the iPad last year.  For a week.  It was, for me, a terrible device. 

Part of that is because Apple's multimedia approach requires that your network support bonjour.  My network does not - bonjour is not a cleanly routable protocol, as it makes extensive use of broadcasting.  Apple also did not want me to be able to manage files directly on the device. 

The iPad is a better music player than the Nook, but I already had an ipod which is still quite serviceable for music.  For video, I have a computer and a television, so the iPad was not what I was looking for.  It's very cute to be able to watch Netflix on a little screen, but not something I find myself doing a lot. I don't think adding 3 inches would add much, though the better speakers would be nice to have in the event that I was unable to operate my remote control. 

However, I am  not yet at that stage of decrepitude.

For my mom, the device is a total home run and I'm glad I gave it to her.  She was drawn in initially by the music, and can now send email to her granddaughters, and anything more complicated would be out of her range.  (She's always hated computers with a vengeance, having grown up and worked for much of her career in old school print journalism, including honest-to-god hot lead press plates for the earlier iterations of the periodical she wrote for.) 

Also, the ipad interface is simple enough  that housecats can make use of it.  I must salute Jobs for dumbing down the interface to a place where it is accessible to pets and a substantial chunk of the US electorate. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9NP-AeKX40

(No, I haven't shown Mom this video and snarked :smileyhappy:  )

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Scoot62 wrote:

I am thinking of buying a Nook Color.  IF I order today, is the NC the "newest" NC?  I read here a new version is available June 10.  Is this the color or B&W Nook.  Help, if you please.

I do not own an ereader, iPad, etc.  Thanks for any information.

The new was is a B&W eInk device.  There's only one NookColor and so far, nothing stating there's going to be a new one.  So if you order one today, yes it will be newest since there's only one.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

[ Edited ]

Wild_images wrote:

If you had said you read an article and this was your personal take on it, I would have never said a word.   

Next time, try that without the embellishments.   If I want spin, I can go to FoxNews.com.   

Example, the article says Amazon has 60 to 65% of the e book market, while Apple has 10%.  It doesn't say what B&N has.   The Nook Line is not the only E reader line out there besides Apple and Kindle, nor are B&N, Amazon, and Apple the only place to buy E books, so B&N may not be "trouncing" Apple as you stated, nor might the Ipad be  "still trailing--FAR TRAILING--the two e-reading devices, the Kindle and the Nook"   You don't have the facts to support that statement.   It's your opinion, and is not supported by facts published in the article you claim to be citing. 

You also left out Richard Curtis's quote that "The iPad offers so many audio visual applications that reading is not given as much priority as it is in dedicated (reading only) devices like the Nook and Kindle,".

You tried to push your fanboy agenda and got called on it and now you want to cry foul.  That's silly.  Suck it up and move on.  

"Fanboy agenda?" lol....I love it!  Especially since I, unlike many, have tried, at my home, both the iPad and Nook Color, and made an informed decision to go with the Nook.  But what I love most is how easy it's going to be to disprove your thesis here.  You seem to take humbrage with the fact that I'm saying that Barnes & Noble is "trouncing" Apple in e-book sales, and your whole reason for doing so is that you think I'm inventing my own numbers for BN.  You even state outright that the article does not even say what part of the market Barnes & Noble has....and therefore it's my "fanboy" spin to say that they're trouncing Apple. This would be fine....except that you are 100% wrong.  Allow me to quote the part of the article that you apparently missed:

"But Barnes & Noble has worked to improve the Nook and to offer different types, including a touch screen version announced this week. The company promoted the Nook relentlessly through its superstores and now has around 25 percent of e-sales, publishers say."  This comes right after the article calls Barnes & Noble " strong No. 2 to Amazon" (as opposed to calling the iPad "a disappointment").  Fanboy?  How about someone who is simply relating what the tech media are reporting!

I don't think "trouncing" is too harsh a word to describe one company that has market share that is two-and-a-half times that of someone else. Would it make you feel better if I admit that Amazon is also trouncing Barnes & Noble? Anyway, if a Presidential candidate gets twice the votes of the other guy, that's considered a landslide.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

Awesome video roustabout! Its good to know the pads on a cat's feet are capacitive. It supports my theory that my cat has been checking his stocks online on my NC late at night. It also gives me a great idea for a home made stylus. (Just kidding cat lovers)
roustabout

I have to apologize.  I slipped and added a qualifier in my note.  When I say "for me," I of course mean "for everyone," since as a registered Nook fanboy, my judgement of device functionality is an objective and universal standard, much like the speed of light in a vacuum or the rest mass of the electron. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101

[ Edited ]

I am not taking sides untill Nallia weighs in.  That girl is never wrong and is the gold standard on all things Nook!

vitaminbillwebb

[ Edited ]

Good God. You people can make a massive argument out of anything. 

The real question this article raises for me--remember the article is talking about e-book sales, not device sales--is why Apple has failed to make the iBookstore work. 

The story here is not "Woo-hoo, Amazon and B&N FTW!" nor is it "OMGAPPLESUXORS." It's that iPad users are choosing to go to Amazon and B&N for their e-reader apps and content instead of the Apple-branded iBookstore. Indeed, the lesson to learn here may be that Barnes and Noble and Amazon are outselling iBooks becaues of their cross-platform applications. I can only use iBooks on an iOS device. But I can use the Nook app on my NC, my iPad, my Android phone, my PC, and my Mac, presuming that I have all those devices. Small wonder, then, that conscientious e-book purchasers choose something with cross-platform capabilities. Perhaps some people in Cupertino need to re-think some basic assumptions.

VBW