Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
LeLeCH
0 Kudos

mandatory credit card input??

Does anyone have a way around inputing your credit card information for online orders?   I got my 9 yr old daughter a Nook color for her birthday and she received two B&N gift cards to purchase books.  The gift cards have been a great online purchase option for my children over the years for Playstation network, iTunes, etc...   I am extremely upset that we are being required to input a credit card prior to being able to use the gift cards for B&N online purchases.   I just don't feel comfortable inputing a "default" credit card on her account.  Called B&N customer service and got nowhere so I thought I would try posting here to see if anyone could help.   Thank you!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: mandatory credit card input??

They do require one to set the device up.  A great way to limit the issue is to see if your card issuer issues internet-only credit card #s.

They're basically throwaway numbers with a low dollar value tied to them;  when they max out, they're done and can't draw further against your account. 

After you have the device registered against one of those you can add the gift cards to it. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
nathan_kull

Credit Cards are how the Nook and B&N set DRM on the nook books, to prevent unauthorized copying... There is no way around having a card... I would, however, ensure that the account is locked from purchases with a password.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

They do require one to set the device up.  A great way to limit the issue is to see if your card issuer issues internet-only credit card #s.

They're basically throwaway numbers with a low dollar value tied to them;  when they max out, they're done and can't draw further against your account. 

After you have the device registered against one of those you can add the gift cards to it. 

If you do this make sure you write down the card number somewhere.  If you ever want to sideload something from her account to yours you'll need that number to open the DRM.

Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am giving each of my sons a Nook Color for Christmas.  I have used prepaid Visa or MC debit cards (from Kroger or Walgreens) many times for internet purchases, so I will probably buy a couple of those to set up each of their Nook accounts.  I assume it will work, as the online retailers I have used prepaid debit cards with previously didn't know them from the real thing.  If your own credit card doesn't offer the temp web card number as mentioned before, you might want to try this route.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

tuck229 wrote:

I am giving each of my sons a Nook Color for Christmas.  I have used prepaid Visa or MC debit cards (from Kroger or Walgreens) many times for internet purchases, so I will probably buy a couple of those to set up each of their Nook accounts.  I assume it will work, as the online retailers I have used prepaid debit cards with previously didn't know them from the real thing.  If your own credit card doesn't offer the temp web card number as mentioned before, you might want to try this route.

You can use prepaid cards, but they have to be the type that can be registered to a physical address, just like a normal card.  From what I undrestand, the prepaid cards you purchase in grocery stores, etc, don't meet this requirement.  You might want to do a little searching here on the forums to get more information, as there have been numerous discussions and I know others have used cards that work.

Contributor
BikerHoney
0 Kudos

I personally use a Kroger prepaid Visa card. Once you buy the card, there is an option to personalize the card. There is a small fee for this, (I believe it is $3), they ask you your personal info, name, address and such, then they will mail you a card with your name embossed on it. It does take a couple weeks to get the personalized card in the mail. But it does work for the required credit card that BN asks for. If your child tries to buy anything, and there is no money on it, it will simply deny the charge.
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Check with your bank.  They may have a pre-paid CC specifically for kids.  I have one for my daughter through our bank.  When she needs funds on it we can log in and transfer a few dollars to it.  One of the main reasons I like it is that it is good for emergencies (if something should happen while she is away from home I or my husband or my parents can log in and transfer funds to her card and it's there in a matter of seconds)  and safer than her carrying cash when she is going out with friends.  Most banks will let you have whatever amount you want on the card up to about a thousand dollars.

Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife
0 Kudos

find a bank that allows you to create virtual numbers for your purchases.  they are valid account numbers based on your actual (real) credit card but can be set to any dollar amount and/or expiration date.  the credit card number i gave B&N has $25 in it.  that's its value if anybody misuses it.  they have no access to my real credit card number (which has $10K in it!!).  if i make a purchase at amazon for $25.61, i generate (via a web based secure applet) a virtual number valued at just $25.61.  as soon as amazon debits the amount, that number is no longer valid.  it is the ideal, risk free way of shopping on line.  i use an AT&T mastercard thru Citibank.

♥ Children make you want to start life over