Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
bec1736
0 Kudos

nook color stuck at start with new software update being install over and over

Bought this nook color last Nov for a chistmas present, when I plugged it in to charge it the welcome screen came up and I tried to turn the unit off, but it would come back on again ( instructions said to fully charge battery prior to use ) I guess trying to turn it off with it plugged in ( and not knowing that you can't turn it off while charging ) I have put it in a never ending loop. Contacted c/s several times with no help ( very bad customer service department ). My question is does anyone know a fix?? I have tried the turn off 8 times reset and the hard restore to no avail.  Thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Re: nook color stuck at start with new software update being install over and over

First - are you running it stock or off a SD card or something other than the way it came out of the box?

Let me recap to see if I understand. When you plug it in to charge (with the charger that came with your Nook Color I hope) the nook turns on. Which it is supposed to do.Since you have had it since November you certainly must have changed it since then.

You say it keeps starting back up. Which makes me wonder if you have completely powered it off. Unplug the charger and hold down the power button until the shutdown message fades and continue to hold it down until the shutdown is complete.  Then power it back up and see if it loads ok.

By welcome screen - do you mean the home screen or does it stick someplace else?

How does the update come into it? Did you sideload the update or was it updating over the air? Are you sure if you sideloaded it that you are loading the correct version 1.3?

New User
bec1736
0 Kudos

Re: nook color stuck at start with new software update being install over and over

Thanks for the questions, I will try to explain exactly what is going on . The Nook color came brand new box still sealed . When I opened it , it had a sticker on the enter wrapped that stated do not use until charged , so I plugged the unit into the orginal OEM charger. At that time the nook color came on and went to the welcome screen and started to do the setup and registation. Thinking that it needed to charge prior to doing this I turned it off by holding the power button down but it would come back on so I repeated turning it off a couple more times then it started going straight from the touch the future of reading screen to a screen that has a sd card outline with a green down arrow with the nook sign in the middle & says "a new software update is being installed. This will take a few minutes" once it completes that it starts all over again . No matter what I do ( I have googled this and have tried several ideas to no avail. ) it keeps doing the same thing. As I said before c/s is very bad and  they have said the unit needs replaced and someone will be contacting me for replacement info to never being heard from again and when you call back they act as if they have never heard of me or this problem, they keep asking about account info but I never got to that point. I know how to do a hard reset ( holding the power,up volume & nook button at the same time and get it to the restore screen but even when you do that it still is stuck in this loop. All this happen with or with the sd card installed . I am unable to attempt any other type of update as to when I connect it to the computer it shows the devise empty ( unable to wake the unit up be sliding the arrow.)  I have tried downloading the update 1.2 & 1.3 to the sd card but the nook never sees it when I power it up. Thanks

Bibliophile
Schwa
0 Kudos

Short version, by your description, nothing is wrong with the unit.

Long version, this is what is happening:

1) The sticker says to not use before charging as a general rule, but this is not a hard and fast rule.  You can turn it on and maybe even register the device, but they don't want you to go "hog wild" with it until you give it a full 100%.  In fact you can;t even see the battery indicator until the NC is registered and you can access teh home screen.  If you can see kate's face on startup then there is enough power to register and get started  :smileyhappy:

2) When you plug in a Nookcolor while it is off it will automatically turn itself on.  This is normal. If it has less than 10% battery, it will still turn on, but will not load the operating system until 10% battery is achieved.

3) You continually tried to turn off the device each time it turned on.  The device probably registered these as false starts. When there are several false starts in a row, the Nookcolor will perform a factory reset.  This is why you were getting the "installing software update" message.  it was actually reinstalling the factory software image as a precaution (it is assuming your NC was not starting due to corrupted software, and was trying to "fix" it).  This is normal, intended, and not causing any harm to your device, especially one still factory fresh.

So in conclusion, it's okay to let it start up, it's supposed to do that.  If you want to follow the advice of the cellophane wrapping to the letter, just wait an hour or 2 before registering.

I hope this helps and have fun  :smileyhappy: