Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
srpimper
0 Kudos

nook2android card part 2

thank you so much for the information about this little card. got mine yesterday, installed it with no issues, and ran down the battery playing with my new toy! oh my gosh! this is so cool. once again i thank the writers on the board for finding out about this and sharing the information, thank you for all the advice and helpful hints. so glad i have my first gen nook to use for reading.  thanks again!

Distinguished Correspondent
gaming_grandma
0 Kudos

Re: nook2android card part 2

I would like to add my thanks, also. The Nook2Android card is excellent. I had already rooted my NC and the N2Acard still worked flawlessly. It has so many capabilities that I am still in my "discovery' phase. It was MUCH easier than rooting and I splurged and bought the 32gb version so I can download all the free apps from the Amazon and Android Markets. Since I can now download library books directly using Overdrive it was truely money well spent.
Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

gaming_grandma wrote:
 Since I can now download library books directly using Overdrive it was truely money well spent.

This was one of the main reasons I bought the card too.  Of course, having the full android market didn't hurt either.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
gaming_grandma
0 Kudos

This is an add-on to my earlier post.

The nook2adroid card came with the "Movie Gallery Free" app which is from the same company that makes "DVD Catalyst" an excellent program for adapting movies to MP4 files for viewing on the NC (rooted or not).  I decided to upgrade to the full "Movie Gallery" for $2 and it is perfect for viewing my movies and well worth the price.  Does anyone have any other suggestions for apps to go with the card?

Contributor
Halchrist
0 Kudos

I bought the 16GB version.  It is excellent.  Overdrive app is wonderful for my library ebooks and audiobooks.  The Nook for Android app is good too.  I do have a small problem with some areas on my NC now, where a press, i.e. click does not register.  For example, and this happens in some apps more than others, in the Nook ap, I can click on "Shop", but, can not click on any of the icons to the right. 

Probably my fat fingers or user error or something.

There is also something about registering for udate or update notifications from, I guess the CM7 servers.  There are two buttons, one for register, and one for deregister.  I keep pressing the register button, but get an error about the server.  I'm not sure if it's because I've already registered, or network problem or what.

Sincerely,
Don
Contributor
srpimper
0 Kudos

where would i find the " register to receive information about updates?"

-shelly

Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment

Halchrist wrote:

The Nook for Android app is good too.  I do have a small problem with some areas on my NC now, where a press, i.e. click does not register.  For example, and this happens in some apps more than others, in the Nook ap, I can click on "Shop", but, can not click on any of the icons to the right. 

Probably my fat fingers or user error or something.

Those buttons are hard to press for everybody, and useless to boot.  Search is the same as the statusline search.  Settings only leads to a page with a "log out" button.  I've never managed to press help at all...

Nooksie
0 Kudos

Those buttons are hard to press for everybody, and useless to boot.  Search is the same as the statusline search.  Settings only leads to a page with a "log out" button.  I've never managed to press help at all...

Question:

Do you mean the buttons don't work when booted up only in n2a or that they do not work anymore when booted up the old way in NC?

I was getting excited about the n2a card but when I read this it seems that I might l;ose sopmething I really need. 

Wordsmith
Droiddict
0 Kudos

Nooksie wrote:

Question:

Do you mean the buttons don't work when booted up only in n2a or that they do not work anymore when booted up the old way in NC?

I was getting excited about the n2a card but when I read this it seems that I might l;ose sopmething I really need. 

The difficult buttons are in the Nook for Android app running on CM7.  I think it has something to do with the resolution differences between phones and the Nook.  The areas around the edge don't register touch very well so it's difficult to impossible to select small buttons that are near the edge of the screen.  If they made the buttons on the Nook to Android app a wee bit bigger, they would work just fine.  Anyway, the app works well without those buttons as the quoted area above points out.  I read something about an app that recalibrates the screen to help with the sensitivity near the edges problem but I'm not willing to run something like that without knowing who wrote it.

Nooksie
0 Kudos

Droiddict wrote:

The difficult buttons are in the Nook for Android app running on CM7.  I think it has something to do with the resolution differences between phones and the Nook.  The areas around the edge don't register touch very well so it's difficult to impossible to select small buttons that are near the edge of the screen.  If they made the buttons on the Nook to Android app a wee bit bigger, they would work just fine.  Anyway, the app works well without those buttons as the quoted area above points out.  I read something about an app that recalibrates the screen to help with the sensitivity near the edges problem but I'm not willing to run something like that without knowing who wrote it.

Thanks Droiddict

Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

I ordered my card and was excited to install it when I received it yesterday. I followed the directions and chose Android/normal mode but my screen went black.  Nothing happened. I got nervous  and stopped and decided to start over today. Is that normal for the installation?  If so, how long does it stay black before it starts up?  Once it is installed is there an easy way to switch back and forth between the regular NC and the Android one?

Thanks!