Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
DaniRose
0 Kudos

password setting problems... help

hey i had it set that everytime i bought a nook book i had to type in my passward but i had to reset my nookcolor and now it doesn't ask for the passward and i don't remember how to set it up to ask for my password. anyone know how? thanks

Wordsmith
alliecatTX
0 Kudos

Re: password setting problems... help

In the Settings menu, choose "security," and then "Set unlock passcode."

Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

alliecatTX wrote:

In the Settings menu, choose "security," and then "Set unlock passcode."

That is for unlocking the nc. I thing the OP is talking about for purchasing books. You need to go to Settings, choose shop, and then choose the option to set the password for purchasing items.
"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Reader 4
summergirlJJ
0 Kudos

I did just that...went to settings then shop and choose to have a password when purchasing anything however, after I enter my password and hit 'ok' nothing happens.....??? Help please? I keep googling it to find out what to do but I can't find it anywhere, all the sites are showing me are how to have an account with more than one person using the nook....

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Settings...

Shop...

Tick the "require password for purchases" box. 

Be sure the password you enter there is your BN password, too. 

Then, go to the shop app and try a free book or story.  It should bring up a confirmation dialog that requires your password. 

If not, you're probably in need of doing a hard reset.

Or, you could do a fast uninstall and reinstall of the shop - I just discovered that using my hack to remove and reinstall the shop cleared that preference. 

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/07/i-want-to-lock-down-browsing-and.html

No guarantee that would do it, but if you have bookshelves built, it might help. 

I would apply the NoShop file, reboot, confirm Shop is goine, then apply the Shop back again and see if the pref was working.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Reader 4
summergirlJJ
0 Kudos

I enter my password and then when I hit "save" or "ok" or whatever the button is, it doesn't do anything, I can only select "cancel". I'm not sure how to uninstall shop, or anything for that matter, I have only had my NC for a week.... :-\

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

The instructions for doing the NoShop are in the link, but you'd be better off trying the Nook Engineer's hard reset instruction, in the sticky at the top of the page. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.