Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
arecibo00612
0 Kudos

please excuse my stupidity, but, what does it mean when you guys say....

that you rooted your NC.

I have no idea what you are all talking about.  I have a NC and only use it for reading and to go online. What all I can do with it? I'm missing out on stuff, am I? 

thanks for reading and explaining all this rooting stuff. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

Re: please excuse my stupidity, but, what does it mean when you guys say....

Top right of your screen you will find a search bar, type root and hit search. You will find all the info you need and more 

Not being a jerk, just know the "root" subject has been disscussed to death and back on these boards. Search XDA devloper site and you will find even more info on rooting.

If you only want the simple answ... Rooting turns your nook color into a open tablet much like the Samsung, Zoom and Ipad.  :smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Google for "nook color portal" and all questions will be answered.  :smileywink:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad

arecibo00612 wrote:

that you rooted your NC.

I have no idea what you are all talking about.  I have a NC and only use it for reading and to go online. What all I can do with it? I'm missing out on stuff, am I? 

thanks for reading and explaining all this rooting stuff. :smileyhappy:

Rooting basically gives you full control over the Operating System, and allows you to do stuff like install third party applications. Do you have a computer a work? Have you tried and failed to install some program you downloaded off the internet with the computer reporting that you need "Adminsitrative priviledges" to install programs? It's much the same thing. Rooting your nook basically gives you an administrative account (what the UNIX world calls a "root" user) so you can do stuff that normally the Operating System prevents you from doing.

FWIW, I haven't rooted my Nook Color yet, myself. I'm holding off until B&N opens its App Store so I can see what sorts of apps Barns and Noble is goign to offer users of teh stock device  (or until I conclude that they're way behind schedule and I don't want to wait that long to install Angry Birds).

Frequent Contributor
arecibo00612
0 Kudos

thank you so much for your responses. I really appreciated then. I'm very stupid when it comes to gadgets like this one. but i'm learning and I loveeeeee my NC.

thanks for reading!!!!!

New User
hmmngbrd
0 Kudos

Thank you for the simple answer. Some of us are new to this Nook and root game. Mine is coming in the mail today. I am at the beginning of the learning curve at this moment. Can't wait.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Rooting is one of a few ways to change the Nook Color from a tablet with some Android capabilities to a full Android tablet that can run most of the apps in the Android Market.  Another way, which I have used, is to change the operating system entirely--from the Barnes & Noble's own OS to a customized version of Android "Gingerbread" called CM7 (Cyanogenmod version 7).

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

Serolf_Divad's was the correct answer. The process that gives you root or "superuser" access to the operating system on the NC also makes some other small changes that make it possible to install the Google app market and have it work more or less properly, which is most people's main motivation for rooting.

Rather than root the NC's existing operating system, which has been heavily customized by B&N and doesn't very much resemble other Android devices, many people replace it with another operating system altogether, which already has root access and a wider array of settings. The most popular for the NC is CyanogenMod 7, which uses a slightly newer Android base than B&N's software (Gingerbread 2.3 rather than Froyo 2.2), and among other things enables bluetooth.