Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

print app?

Does anyone know if there is a print app? I have a wireless printer. I don't know anything about apps because I don't have a cell phone. I got rid of my cell phone and pager when I retired and never want to replace them. I still cringe when cell phones go off in my presence.
Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

Re: print app?

I don't think there'd be anyway for the NC to send a print job to your wireless network printer. I never noticed my NC as a device on my network.

You can, however, take a screen shot of what's on your NC screen, save it as a .jpeg and transfer it to your PC/Mac for printing the next time you mount the NC.

"In order to take a screenshot on your Nook Color device, you need to press Vol- (Volume Down) button for a very short time, while also holding the Nook (Home) button pushed. The screenshots will be available under the Gallery. The notification area will also confirm that the screenshot was taken. If you want to copy the screenshots to your computer, just plug the Nook Color via USB and navigate to root\Screenshots folder."

Nook Color Wallpapers
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Thank, I will give that a try. My daughter has an app on her ipad that let's her print wirelessly at home and work. Ill try to get the name of the app.
Frequent Contributor
solitair
0 Kudos

There are some printers from HP that have an android app that lets you print to the printer. You would probably have to root your nook to install the app though.

Frequent Contributor
solitair

Just found this. http://www.externalprint.com/

Looks like you could use it to print from the nook, but again probably only a rooted one.

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik

[ Edited ]

Veddy Inta-estingk!

Yes, this company offers a pair of Apps that are used together to make the magic happen. One $5.00 App gets installed on the PC or Mac with access to the printer, and the other free Android App gets installed on the Android device.

You set them up similarly to an email client, like Thunderbird. You "send" the document from the Android device - which is actually an automatically generated/formatted email with an attachment. This is then recieved in your regular inbox and any other email. The PC/Mac App is waiting for this "special" email. When it comes a little party happens where the App opens your printer driver and prints it.

Our NC's would definately have to be rooted AND it only works with Android 2.0 or higher.

Nook Color Wallpapers
New User
CowboySS

Hoping the NookColor techs or other android programmers read this site and create a print app specifically for the NC

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Yeah, the externalprint app appears to be more of an e-mail kludge.  The NC needs a true send-to-printer option. Even if it's only a CUPS implementation.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Yes, Riff-raff, that is what I want, even though I don't know what CUPS is. My husband finally agreed to "hide" our printer in the closet, so I don't have to look at it. He calls it our print room. I'm just happy we went wireless, the less cables around here, the better.
Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

Psssst . . . pay Riffraff no mind. He likes to start trouble.

:smileytongue:

Nook Color Wallpapers
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

OESF Labs in Vietnam has ported CUPS to Android. I love google!
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

schatzieWI wrote:
OESF Labs in Vietnam has ported CUPS to Android. I love google!

See?!?      :smileytongue:

:smileyhappy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

DOH!

:smileysurprised:

Nook Color Wallpapers
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Pocket note says it will work on 2.2 and it has been updated to use with a network printer. Will it work with my 3 month old Lexmark wireless printer?
Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

I say go for it! And report back here for us.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya though. Lexmark printers can be fickle!

Nook Color Wallpapers
Wordsmith
mariel9898

I've been researching this because I want an app that prints also. I love my NC and my Droid, but I really don't want them in the kitchen while I'm cooking, even if covered in a Ziploc. Recipes are about the only thing I have to have a printout for. I would love to be able to print out a recipe from the Epicurious app for example and just start cooking.

Here are a few links I found:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/210482/six_apps_for_printing_photos_from_your_android_phone.html

http://thetechjournal.com/electronics/android/google-cloud-print-apps-now-available-for-ios-and-andr...

http://printershare.com/ (though they only seem to support Vista?)

Distinguished Correspondent
tenagail

When I first got my Nookcolor  I printed out the user manual by plugging the special nook cable into the printer and the nookcolor. I don't know if you can print anything else this way, but it seems to me if it printed one thing there must be a way to print other things. I'm just saying...

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

A lot of printers come with the ability to print common file types right from a memory card or flash drive.

When you plugged your NC into the printer's USB port, it mounted to the printer as a flash drive/memory card much the same was as when you plug the NC into the PC/Mac.

Your printer must have a control panel and screen that let you navagate into the NC's memory cards to your file for printing.

Nice. I don't have a need to print off of my NC, so I haven't really explored the topic (I also haven't read the manual). I didn't think of this capability. It's nice to know it's there . . .

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Correspondent
pen_name19
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Distinguished Correspondent
tenagail
0 Kudos

I needed to print the manual to get me throughthe first round of getting the nook to do anything, I am not a techie and my kids weren't around so no one to set it up or show me how to work it. I did manage to set it up, once found these boards. I'm pretty darn good with my nookcolor, considering I'm a Gramma but no one was around to help me and I wasn't about to wait for anyone. If I can manage t Nookcolor ereader, any one can.