Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

Re: "The iPad is better"

@LectorGS: Thanks...trying to be fair-minded, inoffensive and direct...glad it is working!

News to some- if i wanted an ereader, nothing more, nothing less, I would have gone with the N1E...it is great! But, MY nookcolor does quite a bit more, thank you very much! Wasn't a big shocker, as I researched and played with different options before buying the right device for me...to take to Starbuck's, etc. and do all those cool things, too.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

Academically, I would call the iPad 2 the best device in its class, in terms of performance and user experience. I am not, however, in the market for a device in the iPad 2's class. I wasn't even planning on budgeting what I did for the NC.

You don't point out to someone driving an Acura that "A Lexus is better." A Lexus is better if having a status symbol is a significant priority, if the cost does not threaten your financial well-being or inhibit your use of the product, and if the trade-offs favoring the Acura are not high priorities for you. If any of the above is not the case, then a Lexus would be an odd choice, and call your decision-making abilities into question.

The fact that the leading luxury roadster is even being compared to a family sedan of less than half the cost can only be taken as a compliment to the more modest product.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

The thing I HATE about both of them is a closed operating system, with ME not being the boss of it.  I'm sure it protects some from totally crashing the Operating system, and helps the respective companies protect their infrastructures, but thats just me.  The whole "mine is bigger/better than yours" game has been around ever since kids learned to pick on each other.  :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Love the subject line of this thread......
Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

robert93 wrote:

The thing I HATE about both of them is a closed operating system, with ME not being the boss of it.  

I'm sure you've been around enough to know it ain't no thang to open up the NC, at which point Android is at least as open as Windows, if less mature and robust. Cell phones taught me that if you want a device to work for you, rather than maintain a position in the marketing department of the company that sold it to you, you're going to have to do some work at the outset. Even with off-the-rack PCs, step one is to format and reinstall a clean copy of the OS if you don't want to be tripping over bloatware and running up against bassackward settings for the next year-and-a-half. 

Unfortunately, unlike PCs, neither the phone nor tablet markets have reached the point where it makes sense to buy components and build it yourself :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

Ok, ok...."the ipad is a tablet, the Nook Color is an ereader." Fine!  Let me just say this, then, without pretending the iPad is something that it's not and without pretending the Nook Color is something it's not:  Everything that a TABLET like the iPad can do that MATTERS TO ME, I can do even better on my e-reader, the Nook Color.  So call it tablet, call it e-reader, call it a can of RC Cola.  If a cold RC allows me a more convenient, more affordable, way to read books, check email and get on the Web, then I'll take an RC, please.

Inspired Contributor
Trekkie7
0 Kudos

A rose is a rose . . . .  :smileyindifferent:

Wordsmith
robert93

richardwrite25 wrote:

.  So call it tablet, call it e-reader, call it a can of RC Cola.

Drinking a NookColor wouild be much more hazardous to your health, Not recommended :-)

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

I think that the bottom line is why does any of this matter, i.e., one device being superior to another?  If you like it, buy it and use it.  If not buy something else.  This confirmation that "I have the best product" is nuts.  No one cares, except of course the manufacturers and retailers who constantly bombard you with the message that you just have to have the latest and greatest, touting cool but rarely-used or unnecessary "features."  Because as we already know nearly everything in life is about money, and we fuel this by coveting the "best" widget all of the time instead of wanting what we have.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

taosaur wrote:

I'm sure you've been around enough to know it ain't no thang to open up the NC, at which point Android is at least as open as Windows, if less mature and robust. Cell phones taught me that if you want a device to work for you, rather than maintain a position in the marketing department of the company that sold it to you, you're going to have to do some work at the outset. Even with off-the-rack PCs, step one is to format and reinstall a clean copy of the OS if you don't want to be tripping over bloatware and running up against bassackward settings for the next year-and-a-half. 

Agreed that Android is less mature than Windows, not sure about less robust, but it's certainly much more open than Windows.  Windows really ISN'T open; you can't get the source code for the kernel or major routines like you can for Linux and Android.

Regardless, I think the point the OP and others are making is that different people have different needs and the iPad and Nook Color serve those needs differently.  The iPad is (for me) the worst of all worlds:  too big to put in my pocket, too small and underpowered to do real work.  It works just fine for my mother who doesn't feel the need for a big (1920x1200) desktop or to have 5 different programs running simultaneously.  While I was traveling recently, my mother had to choose between carrying a large purse or leaving her iPad in the B&B room.  She opted for the smaller purse and leaving her iPad in the room.  I simply put my NC and NST in my pockets and had my guide books available to me as we were looking for places to eat or going through exhibits.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

I concur with most who have posted. Thr truth is neither product is a a basic need item for me. A basic ereader or paperback book are what I meed. A nicer ereader with some bonus features features for 250 is easier to rationalize than 600. Like the thread starter I have a Toshiba laptop with a big screen, which I need. The bigger size of the ipad isn't a plus for me. The added features camera etc I would not use. The luxury car comparison and the attitude of some who buy them to some ipad owners is spot on. Perhaps they are receiving criticism from family and friends of the expense and feel the neef to justify the expense.
Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle
0 Kudos

The iPad is better?  Better than what?  The Nook Color?  No way!  All things considered, in the final analysis, "The Nook Color is better".  Objectively speaking, of course.  When ya love what ya got, it's the best by definition.

New User
JackOrLaurie__
0 Kudos

I've read through most of these and while there was a bit of snarkey commentary, I was looking for info to help me decide on what sort of device would work best for me. For those of you who were discussing pros and cons I thank you! One topic I didn't see was clarity. Since I'm getting to the reading glasses point and have a weird right eye, does anyone have any comments on clarity or viewing problems with screens? Also, does the Nook Color come without unwanted apps (as the iPad seems to), how is app-pricing between the two and does anyone know if you can pre-view what's available in the iPad's app store? Thanks in advance....
roustabout

JorL, the BN shop is inferior to the Itunes shop, no question.

Once rooted, you have access to Android market, which has enough apps to meet my needs by a long shot. 

I had an ipad for a week and gave it to my mom.  I needed to be able to do things with it I could not do, like manage my own files directly on the device.  I think that a jailbroken ipad can do that now. On my network Apple's network protocols did not work at all well.  (My wireless and my wired side are on different network segments;  Bonjour is a broadcast protocol so it doesn't easily go from segment to segment.) 

It was too large for me (given how much it cost, I was concerned about damaging it) and using it for long periods of time gave me eyestrain.  I think that was because of the larger screen.  When reading, your eyes take 'microbreaks,' darting away from the paper or screen you're reading on.  I've read speculation that the larger screen means that you're still basically looking at the screen during those excursions, leading some folks to eyestrain on the 10" tablets. 

It really is a personal preference issue.  You should spend an hour using each device before buying either.  You'd probably also do well to wait about a month to hear what's being announced and released for Christmas. 

I like the NC quite a lot, because I can tinker with it.  If it were a hard device to root, I wouldn't be interested in using it.  As it is, it's easily the best toy I've had in years. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
JackOrLaurie__
0 Kudos

Roustabout thanks for the info. One of my dilemmas is that every time i've checked a nearby place which sells them they've had dead batteries or they haven't had any on hand...which is I suppose a positive thing!
Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

The only thing more frustrating than the dead battery displays is the ones running the demo under glass where you cant access them.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I agree with most of roustabouts points. I do think the number of apps from BN is likely to increase at a steady rate. Remember they only added apps a few months ago. It takes time for programers to make changes to meet BN guidelines, recompile their code etc., and to get through an approval process. As more nooks are sold more will choose to support this market.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

The real question isn't how many apps are offered but do they offer the apps you want?

I like Evernote and Pandora on my NC -- I have both on my Android smartphone, MacBook Pro and iPod Touch as well.  Pulse is a decent news consolidator although I find the story selections for their "Top 25" lists to be odd (a lot of political diatribes in the Science stories and News & Analysis sections).

Not a big fan of the default browser on the NC but it does what I need it to -- any real surfing is done in Firefox on my MacBook Pro or Mac mini.  The Office document readers do what I need in reading MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint -- frankly any document I'd actually be working on would likely require a bigger screen, full keyboard and maybe a mouse or decent touchpad so neither the iPad nor NC would meet my needs for anything more than just looking at the documents in question.

iTunes has a tone of apps, most of them are just noise to me.  As an example, the compass apps on my Android smartphone (both free) beat the pants off any compass app I found for the iPod Touch.  Same thing with Wifi analyzers.  Look at the apps in both stores and see what each has that tickles your fancy (and that you'd be willing to pay for).

The iPad has much better speakers if you want to watch movies or listen to music without using earbuds.  The only time I can bother to use the NC's internal speaker is when I use it to play music to sleep by (or occasionally to read by if I'm in a quiet area with good acoustics).

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
deemure
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:
I concur with most who have posted. Thr truth is neither product is a a basic need item for me. A basic ereader or paperback book are what I meed. A nicer ereader with some bonus features features for 250 is easier to rationalize than 600. Like the thread starter I have a Toshiba laptop with a big screen, which I need. The bigger size of the ipad isn't a plus for me. The added features camera etc I would not use. The luxury car comparison and the attitude of some who buy them to some ipad owners is spot on. Perhaps they are receiving criticism from family and friends of the expense and feel the neef to justify the expense.

I think of late people who have just accepted that Apple gives them what they need are beginning to question this. It doesn't affect sales, of course. One of the problems that has always existed with iThings is that Apple purposely leaves off features that could be, and some would say should be included, in every iteration. Especially for the price. And, for me I can be more productive and have more flexibility with my laptop and NC. On these forums I see people all but demanding more from B&N as far as features and functionality, but it has almost always been the case that people are willing to shell out a heck of a lot more to Apple for devices "as is". We expect more here, request more, beg for more, and I just think Apple owners should as well. We all wait with bated breath to see wha they will add to the ipad 3 and maybe then they will have found a way for safari to block html5 from a certain unnamed site.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@omnigeek, there was a recent Nielsen study regarding app usage and also web usage on android and idevices. Apps are often used instead of the web. The thing was that although there are millions of apps, very few are used regularly. I have found this with my NC and phone. I don't really need any of them and only want a very few.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.