Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
tuck229

"The iPad is better"

Given the quite significant difference in price, I'm not so sure why people feel the need to announce the iPad's superiority when they see me with my Nook Color.  I haven't owned my NC a full month and I couldn't tell you the number of times someone sees it and makes some comment about the iPad.  A few days ago at work, someone saw my NC sitting on my desk and said "The iPad's better."

I stood up, said "Well, the iPad can't do this," slid my Nook Color in the front pocket of my khakis, and walked off. (And, I stuck my head back in the door after leaving, and added "And the iPad doesn't play flash.")

I gotta say, I love the size of the NC.  I'm sure magazines are more impressive on bigger tablet devices, but the size of the NC is so convenient and seems just right for holding and reading.  (Honestly, I'm not going to be buying many emags.)  It's nice to be able to slide it into the pocket of my pants/shorts and go about my way.  True, it is a snugger fit in some pants more than others, but the fact is I can pack my NC along with free hands, and more times than not, without anyone knowing I've got it with me.  I don't really have a need for a non-Nook tablet (I make good use of the in-store free reading of ebooks and that was one reason I got the NC), and I never would have bought a ereader-only device, but the size and cost and function of the Nook Color is perfect.  Honestly, I've got nothing against the iPad (well, except for the portion of snooty/annoying Apple owners), but for me, I just can't see any point in a device that costs that much but can't run the programs a laptop can run.  For the price of one 32GB iPad, I bought my dual core, big screen Toshiba laptop and my Nook Color. 

I hope B&N keeps this size and price Nook Color in its lineup for the long haul.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

Re: "The iPad is better"

Agree with you on all points.  Even on this board, I sometimes feel timid about announcing why I think the Nook Color is not just a good reader, but an excellent tablet.....because I know someone will try to convince me why I'm incorrect for enjoying the Nook's tablet functionality.

As I've stated before, I've had both the Nook and the first-gen iPad. I sent the iPad back, because there were a specific set of things that I was interested in a tablet for:

1) Reading e-books was number one.  The iPad does this well enough, but it's too bulky to read in bed for long periods of time.  The NC is about the size of a regular book.

2) Keeping my e-mail with me  at all times.  It felt awkward lugging the iPad with me everywhere, but not so with a 7" tablet.

3) Easy web surfing in bed.  See the main iPad complaint in number one.

I've since discovered many other reasons to prefer the Nook Color, but those are the three that made the iPad not good for me....and made the Nook perfect. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Better is in the eye of the beholder. It doesn't matter much how good something is if it isn't something you'd use. I agree with the size factor, but there are other things that put me off about the ipad. It's a great device, really, for those who need it, but that you are tied to itunes is a big negative for me. I had the opportunity to try an ipad, ipad2, and galaxy 10 inch tab. I wasn't impressed with any of them. To be honest, I didn't see a reason for me to get either of them. And reading and writing on them was cumbersome to me. The ipads had magazines on them and basically they are an exercise in confusion. On some pages you scroll within an article, some within a column. Other pages have you even scroll sideways. To me, it's just showoff stuff. Not very useful. And, all of this stuff makes the magazine into a much larger file and Apple treats them all as apps. The converse is that .epub magazines could feature video, audio, and such within them, and not be treated as apps.
This may sound nitpicky, but I have a relative that creates an organization's monthly journal, and cannot work with Apple to provide it since they have layer upon expensive layer set up for a magazine to be accessible. Their publication is free, but with Apple the cost alone to them approached $100,000. And that does not include fees to other intermediaries. To sell a book with the ibookstore one must use what they call an aggregator of which there are only a handful. They either charge up front or take a percentage of sales. Conversely, B&N and Amazon provide tools for self-publishers. I know this can be good or bad depending on the author, but it's a big difference. At every stage, Apple filters everything put on any idevice, mostly using money as a factor. I would never state that any device is necessarily better than another. I see features that would never work for me on the ipad. I see features that are lacking and meant to constrain free use of a fairly expensive toy. The NC is better for me

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

I don't really care about any of this "mine is better than yours" stuff.  I have a NC because it does what I need it to do, and quite well.  I will pay attention to another device when my NC goes belly up or I need it to do something that it cannot.  Ignore the "noise" and enjoy your NC.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

[ Edited ]

Agreed...my Nookcolors are best for my family for the needs and budget we have...I bought 2 NCs, plus covers, anti-glare screens and microSD cards (plus DVD Catalyst and Movie Gallery) for the price of one iPad (since I would have had to buy the largest memory allowable). The iPad is cool...yep, no doubt! Most Apple products are cool-I still think Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak are cool guys and did cool stuff for personal computing! No doubt! But, my nookcolor is pretty dang cool, too! My nookcolor can do some things that the iPad can't...that works for me because I needed THOSE particular functions. What is good for me is good for me, what is good for others is good for them! Happy world! Love you all...have a good Monday!

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Frequent Contributor
roxmysoxGA
0 Kudos

I take my NC to work with me everyday. It fits into a side pocket on my lunch tote perfectly. I had it out reading the other day after I had finished my lunch, when one of my coworkers walked up and asked if it was an IPad.  I smiled politely and said, "No...it's better!" :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
Undo

To some, a Porche is better than a Hyundai. Not to me.

Correspondent
KLFL
0 Kudos

I think whatever is better is based on personal needs.
New User
John_959
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have a color Nook, a Kindle and an Ipad 2.  I must have a run of bad luck with my Nook, since I'm on my third replacement.  I'm not sure this replacement is even going to work. By the way, the replacement policy is horrible. They give you a refurbished Nook and don't bother to update the software when they send it to you.

The nook is nice insofar as the Kindle does not give me a page number.  The Nook is nice, (when it's working) because it is small and easy to travel with. However, the battery life is short, and traveling overseas, it tends to die.The battery life on the Kindle is the best and the Ipad 2 is far better than the color Nook. The Kindle has never given me any problems.

Which do I prefer the most?  The Ipad 2. Why, it's easier to turn pages, it's a true tablet, I can read my books off of Barnes & Noble or Amazon. I buy whichever e-book I want based on price. If Amazon is cheaper, I buy the book from Amazon and vice versa. 

The Nook is by no stretch of the imagination a tablet. As far as I'm concerned, at this point in time it's a want to be.  On the Ipad 2, I can not only read my books, but I can surf the internet. I have apps that give me the nightly news in video form from NBC and ABC, an app for Netflix, an app for radio so I can listen to numerous stations including NPR. My calculator, weather and latest news are all on there and more because Apple has all the apps for that and more. 

As far as reading the Ipad 2, Nook or Kindle in bed, I've read books much bigger and heavier in bed before they came out with e-books.  If you buy the right cover for the Ipad, you don't even have to hold it in your hand

Inspired Contributor
TaustinOC

For a lot of people, it isn't the bigger size, more memory, or any other techincal feature that makes the iPad superior, it's the fact that it's from Apple. If it's made by Apple, it's superior, and that's that, no matter any other criteria. If Apple were to shrink wrap a pile of horse manure, and put their logo on it, the Appleheads would all agree that it was the best pile of horse manure on the market, hands down.

OK, I'm exaggerating, but not as much as you might think.

Fact is, the nook color isn't a tablet, even though it has some of the capabilities of a table. It's also not priced like a table. My equation says that it does about half what a iPad does, for about a third the price. And what it doesn't do isn't stuff I'm interested in.

On the other hand, the first time my boss saw it, he not only thought it was and iPad, he though it was his iPad (which I was trying to fix something on at the time). And started to walk away with it.

Had the iPad really been superior, in my opinion, I'd have considered it a fair trade. I'm not 100% sure he'd have noticed the difference. He's not always the most observant guy in the world.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

I can surf the internet.

yep

I have apps that give me the nightly news in video form from NBC and ABC,

Haven't looked for nbc and abc apps on the A market, but as a rule if it's on their websites it's available to the NC via that interface, if not via a dedicated app. 

an app for Netflix,

have that. 

an app for radio

pandora, tune in, many others. 

so I can listen to numerous stations including NPR.

the npr app is very nice. 

My calculator,

check, calculator. 

weather and latest news are all on there

local paper, also accuweather.com 

So, all can be on my NC, yep.  plus much more compact than the iPad, and it doesn't look like a great

big calculator, the way the Kindle does. 

Finally, there's Newsrob Pro, which lets you tie your Android device to your Google Reader account and cache up to 2000 news articles for offline use. 

It's the best app of it's kind I've seen since Avantgo died a few years ago.  And it's only available for Anrdoid. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

[ Edited ]

John_959 wrote:

The Nook is by no stretch of the imagination a tablet. As far as I'm concerned, at this point in time it's a want to be.  On the Ipad 2, I can not only read my books, but I can surf the internet. I have apps that give me the nightly news in video form from NBC and ABC, an app for Netflix, an app for radio so I can listen to numerous stations including NPR. My calculator, weather and latest news are all on there and more because Apple has all the apps for that and more. 

Let's see you do that on the Nook.

OOOH... CAN... NOT... RESIST... THE... URGE... TO... REPLY... RISING... TO... THE... BAIT... AAAGH!

Read books (CHECK)

Apps available (CHECK)

Surf web (CHECK)

Listen to radio (CHECK)

Use calculator (CHECK)

Check weather (CHECK)

Watch on-board movies (CHECK)

Watch online video (CHECK)

Use FLASH (CHECK)

EXPAND memory on the fly (CHECK)

Sit on the couch and use it for my stuff while my daughter sits on the couch and uses it for something else (CHECK) - cause I could afford TWO of them

New User
John_959
0 Kudos

Whatever, I have the Nook, the Kindle and the IPad 2, so I know which one I like best. If you like the Nook and never tried an IPad for any length of time,  how can you really judge? Sometimes, what we own is the best, no matter what.

By the way, I am not an Apple lover.  I think Apple over prices everything.  The one exception is the Ipad 2. The analysts  were suprised on how low Apple priced the Ipad. Considering battery life, processor, camera, video ability and everything about it, it's a bargain.

All of my computers are Window based and when I had my engineering company, I never bought an Apple computer and never will. (that is, unless they start pricing them to compete with window or Android based computers)

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC

[ Edited ]

Personally, I've never really cared what anyone else thought about my electronic device choices.  I buy what I want and what does what I wish to do in the way I'd like it done (with the further limitation that often budget and other financial priorities mean I made the best compromise choice for me).

As long as you are happy with what you have, why would you care what anyone else thinks or says about it?  Especially strangers, who's opinion means nothing to you because they are nobody to you (and you to them, so it also raises the issue of why they feel compelled to make comments to you about your personal choices in the first place).

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

John_959 wrote:

I have a color Nook, a Kindle and an Ipad 2.  I must have a run of bad luck with my Nook, since I'm on my third replacement.  I'm not sure this replacement is even going to work. By the way, the replacement policy is horrible. They give you a refurbished Nook and don't bother to update the software when they send it to you.

The nook is nice insofar as the Kindle does not give me a page number.  The Nook is nice, (when it's working) because it is small and easy to travel with. However, the battery life is short, and traveling overseas, it tends to die.The battery life on the Kindle is the best and the Ipad 2 is far better than the color Nook. The Kindle has never given me any problems.

Which do I prefer the most?  The Ipad 2. Why, it's easier to turn pages, it's a true tablet, I can read my books off of Barnes & Noble or Amazon. I buy whichever e-book I want based on price. If Amazon is cheaper, I buy the book from Amazon and vice versa. 

As far as reading the Ipad 2, Nook or Kindle in bed, I've read books much bigger and heavier in bed before they came out with e-books.  If you buy the right cover for the Ipad, you don't even have to hold it in your hand

Sorry you seem to have had so many problems.  I've had ONE problem with my Nook Color and my local B&N swapped it out with a new one off the shelf.  Oh yeah, I can surf the Internet on my Nook Color; the browser isn't the greatest but neither is Safari.  I get news from multiple sources as well.  Of course I can do all that on my MacBook Pro or my iPod Touch too but the point is that you listed a bunch of things implying the NC can't do them.

I can do a couple other things my mother can't do with her iPad:  put it in my front pocket or my jacket pocket and hook it to my computer using a standard microUSB cord.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

Oh boy John, now you did it. If you have never seen a conniption, just wait until the Barnes and Noble stockholders read your post.
Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

>>The Nook is by no stretch of the imagination a tablet. As far as I'm concerned, at this point in time it's a want to be. <<

And the iPad is a wannabe e-reader. 

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

You know...posting about your preferences is all fine and dandy here, even your preferences for a device from a different company...if you post misleading information, expect that to be addressed by community members...if you post in a snarky manner, expect a bit of snark in return though some of us try to add humor to our snark...if you are a disgruntled customer with a valid claim, you have our sympathies (usually)...but this thread started out with a "be happy with what works best for you" attitude and got derailed.
Reader 4
patches_mcmatt

[ Edited ]

Um, here's a big shocker everyone. The iPad is a tablet. That's its whole purpose in life--to be a tablet. The Nook Color, on the other hand, is and always will be an e-reader. Nothing more, nothing less. Comparing one to the other is like comparing apples to oranges.The two devices appear similar, but are very different.

Ask a person why they bought either one and you'll get entirely different answers. For example, someone buys a Nook Color because they want to read books in a fun, neat and enjoyable way. Someone else buys an iPad, because they want people to know they have something made by Apple and so they can get on facebook, myspace, the web, etc from Starbucks without having to carry a laptop.

Wordsmith
LectorGS

@normysmom

Great response!!!!

Lector GS