Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
mcstel
0 Kudos

screen orientation

I am a new owner and before I learn to root I need to clear up a few problems. My NC will not change its orientation. I read that I need to uncheck the orientation box and reboot. However, my NC will not turn off by holding the power button. It does go off and lock when not using it. If anyone can help, I would be grateful.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

Re: screen orientation

I've NEVER gotten the orientation to work on the book reader portion.....

that said, the "turn off" is to hold down the power button for several seconds until the screen turns fuzzy, and the turn off dialog appears.  Turning back on takes a few seconds hold, just to make sure its not an accidental power up.  Hope this helps

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

To put it to sleep, just tap the button once, don't hold it in.
Contributor
mcstel
0 Kudos

Thanks. The orientation only seems to work on the web setting. Nothing else. Holding the power button in does not bring up a turn off dialog box and does not turn off.

Contributor
mcstel
0 Kudos

It "goes to sleep" by itself just fine. But is that the same as a reboot?

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok, this isnt meant in any way to be insulting, so please dont take it as such....

If you are holding your Nook Color in your hand in "reading position", with the hoop at the bottom left, the power button is at the left top side , about at the corner of the LCD, except on the left side edge, it should have a noticeable "click" feel to it when you press in towards the LCD, short press turns sleep mode on & off, long press  & hold for full power up & complete off.  If you are not feeling that "click" when you press, and nothing is happening, either your Nook is broke or you are not pressing in the right area.  Hopefully if its broke, you are still within the 14 day return range, make haste to the nearest B&N , Best Buy or any place that has one on display, see if their display acts the same way, if theirs is different than yours, yikes, bad switch.  If theirs does the same, you may not be pressing right, ask for a demo of turning it on & off. Good Luck

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

You've never gotten the orientation to 'work' on the book reader because regular ebooks use only portrait. Special children's books, the web browser, PDF,Word and  Excel documents, the movie player and the picture viewer all will work in landscape if you have all the setting selections checked.

Contributor
mcstel
0 Kudos

LOL Yes, I just realized I was using the wrong button! Guess I need to "really" read the manual and not just skim. Not insulted at all, just grateful for the help.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

mcstel wrote:

But is that the same as a reboot?

No, sleep mode is power saving but slight drain, and still on, OFF is long start, and no battery drain, like a computer, needed for software changes to work

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

Good job, Robert and Chip! Nicely Done! Mcstel, we luv Ya! And to other new users, Welcome!
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Contributor
mcstel
0 Kudos

Thanks ChipPM.

Contributor
mcstel
0 Kudos

Thank you Robert.

Contributor
mcstel
0 Kudos

Just call me Stel LOL and thanks for the welcome

normysmom wrote:
Good job, Robert and Chip! Nicely Done! Mcstel, we luv Ya! And to other new users, Welcome!