Contributor
skullmom
0 Kudos

sideload troubles

Has anyone else had any trouble getting their update to show up on their Nook? I sideloaded it this am and it is still not showing up on my NC. I followed all directions and even made sure that I ejected my NC correctly. If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions or ideas I would greatly appreciate hearing them. Thank you in advance
skullmom
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: sideload troubles

[ Edited ]

skullmom wrote:
Has anyone else had any trouble getting their update to show up on their Nook? I sideloaded it this am and it is still not showing up on my NC. I followed all directions and even made sure that I ejected my NC correctly. If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions or ideas I would greatly appreciate hearing them. Thank you in advance

Is your nook rooted?   If so, the update won't take.

Did you put the file, named EXACTLY as the instructions say, put in the root directory of the nook or did you load it onto an SD card on your NC?

Did you leave the file 100% alone, that is, NOT unzip it?

you MUST follow these instructions EXACTLY

To get the update immediately, you can manually download the software update to your computer at any time and then copy it onto your NOOK Color. Simply follow the steps below. If you choose to wait for an automatic download when you're connected to Wi-Fi, updates will begin rolling out to devices over the next few days:

Manual Download Instructions

1. From your computer, click here for the software update file. Select Save and select Desktop as the location. Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file's name in any way. Do NOT open the *.ZIP file.

2. Tap Settings on your NOOK Color's Quick Nav Bar, then tap Device Info and make sure your NOOK Color battery charge is at 20% or more.

3. Connect your NOOK Color to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOK Color. A new, removable drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK Color drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a "USB Mode" message on your NOOK Color screen.

4. From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded *.ZIP file onto the main directory of the NOOK Color drive. Do NOT unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK Color drive or add the file to any other existing folder.

5. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOK Color drive after the file transfer is complete.

6. Your NOOK Color will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes or when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.

7. Please do not turn off your NOOK Color during the installation process.

8. Once the installation is completed, your NOOK Color will automatically restart and go to the Home screen.

9. On the bottom left status bar a green "n" will appear. Tap on it; the software has been successfully updated.

NOOK Color must remain turned on while the update is being installed. Once the software is installed, NOOK Color will reboot itself back to the Home screen. To verify you have the latest update, tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOK Color and check to see that your software version is 1.2.0.

Congratulations, your NOOK Color has been updated! If you need additional help, please call Digital Customer Service support at 1-800-843-2665.

---------
Don
Contributor
Mittalman
0 Kudos

I downloaded 1.2.    I got an error message that said the file was invalid or corrupted. Now what?

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Mittalman wrote:

I downloaded 1.2.    I got an error message that said the file was invalid or corrupted. Now what?

Try downloading it again!  Sometimes file transfers just don't complete correctly.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Frequent Contributor
trophy57
0 Kudos

Mine tells me the same and I have downloaded 3 times

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

skullmom wrote:

We are a 2 NC household.  I had no problem with the first, but could not get the 2nd one to take no matter what I did.  What I finally ended up doing was making sure it was completely charged and set the screen timeout to one hour (which I do, anyway), connected and downloaded the update to it directly.  Not necessariy recommended unless you are 100% sure what you are doing, but it worked for me.  Previously, I had downloaded the file to my PC multiple times, sideloaded it multiple times, let it go to sleep, put it to sleep, waited over an hour, rebooted it, and so on.  Nothing worked until this.

I connected it to the PC, woke it up, and then downloaded the file directly to the NC's main directory.  Then I ejected, reset the NC's timeout to 2 minutes and let it go to sleep and the update started.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
Mittalman
0 Kudos

My nook went to sleep. How long does the install take? How do I know if it is installing?

Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

Donc13

I was in B&N today and they loaded the new software onto my NC for me.  I would have done it myself, but I wasn't sure what the directions meant by the "main directory", and didn't want to drag it to the wrong place.  So where exactly are they referring to? The icon in My Computer, or do you open the icon in My Computer and then what?  I want to do it correctly the next update....hahaha...yes I'm already thinking about the next update....Scrabble perhaps? lol. Thank you...

Correspondent
W8WCA
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am not sure what happened - I typed in a bunch of info - posted and it dissapeared!

Anyway:

It will take apx 5 to 7 minutes

Make sure you remove your uSD if you have one.

Use copy and paste to put the file on your Nook COlor

Make sure you safely remove the Nook COlor

AND disconnect the cable

Wait and it should go.

Let us know how it goes.

Charlie
Frequent Contributor
Arisia
0 Kudos

Mittalman,

I tried downloading this morning.  The first time after the drag and drop, my NC went to sleep and did nothing for over 40 minutes so I woke it up and tried it again.   After waiting over 15 minutes I woke it again.   I took it to B&N and they transferred the update, waited for the NC to go to sleep and within a few minutes the download picture and status bar were visible.  A few minutes after that the update was complete.    So when it works, it should be fairly fast.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

The main directory, also called the root directory, is the NOOKcolor drive before you open any folders on it.  Some computers will show the NOOKcolor as just a drive letter or they will call it a removable drive or will call it the NOOKcolor.  If you double click on it you will be in the main or root directory where you will see a bunch of folders like BN Books.  Don't open any of these folders.  Put the file here and make sure when you do so, you don't put it in one of these folders.  If you drag and drop and don't see the file, most likely you dropped it into one of these folders and that's why it's not updating.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

W8WCA wrote:

Make sure you remove your uSD if you have one.

No need whatsoever to remove the microSD card.  The update will execute with the card mounted in the NookColor with no problems.  This is of course, assuming that you put the update file in the correct place!

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Reader 2
kimbieCT
0 Kudos

I have had the exact same problem.  I followed the directions on the website to a T.  The Nook Color never recognized the file.  After a day I decided to try again.  Same thing.  No update.  I went back and deleted the file because when B&N does the auto-update, I'm not sure what they look for and didn't want them to see the file and assumed I had already updated.  If anyone knows what else to try, let us know.