Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

something different with my nc

So today, I rebooted my nookcolor and on my homepage there was the date and time and an n. Just an n. I pushed it and nothing happened. Then I swiped it and it was a slide bar that showed my books and magazines like normal. I have never seen this "slide bar" before. Anyone else?
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: something different with my nc

[ Edited ]

schatzieWI wrote:
So today, I rebooted my nookcolor and on my homepage there was the date and time and an n. Just an n. I pushed it and nothing happened. Then I swiped it and it was a slide bar that showed my books and magazines like normal. I have never seen this "slide bar" before. Anyone else?

That is just very odd! That is indeed the unlock bar. It shows up whenever the nook goes to sleep or gets turned completely off and then is turned on or awakened again.

That bar is what everyone is referring to when they say "fully awake" or unlocked. The screen with the homepage background, the time/date at top left, and the N slider bar show. Then you have to slide the N to fully wake it up.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

I have never seen this before today. Well at least it's a normal occurance. Thanks.
Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

It's perfectly normal; most of us don't use it that much, that's all.

Frequent Contributor
cheza10
0 Kudos

I don't think it shows if you have it password protected.
Frequent Contributor
apachedug
0 Kudos

I don't mind swiping that "n" across the screen to wake up the Nook, but you can turn this off?

Nothing on my NC is password protected, but I've always had to unlock or awake the device with this...

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

I password protect, I lock my car doors, everyone says its because I used to live in Chicago. But with the password protect, I still see the sliding n. It isn't an issue, just something I never saw before today. I was hoping it was part of the new update.
Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

apachedug wrote:

I don't mind swiping that "n" across the screen to wake up the Nook, but you can turn this off?

Nothing on my NC is password protected, but I've always had to unlock or awake the device with this...

I don't have it password protected, either, and I've always had to swipe it to wake the NC, too. True, I've had this only three days, still... I always need to.

Inspired Contributor
Saltimbocca
0 Kudos

I have noticed that when mine is in the process of rebooting from full off it has just the clock and n on a dark screen for a few seconds before the color and book display comes back - maybe you just happened to swipe it during that brief interval so so it LOOKED like your swipe brought the color back, but in fact it would have happened then anyway.

On the Internet, only dyslexics know you're a god.