Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
Posts: 112
Registered: ‎12-13-2010

Re: update sucks

 

Some people , they can't ever be pleased , and need to complain .    

 

Usually due to low self esteem.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
Posts: 140
Registered: ‎09-08-2010

Re: update sucks

 


Cthlhu wrote:

I guess ill have to be more troll fodder but I agree... The update completely sucks. This was a complete wasn't of time and effort.

 

"Its just an eBook reader if you wanted a tablet buy a tablet." Its a valid argument but I disagree. The device has so much potential. Its running a great OS, has a great processor, and a beautiful screen... but im just supposed to be satisfied with just an average eBook reader! I can root it and I do... but I really shouldn't have to rely on the community to develop and "fix" issues that the developer is obviously not going to supply.

 

Sorry if I think that bn is dropping the ball. I had two of the original Nooks (one for my wife and I) and bought two NookColors the day they came out ... I have recommended this product to countless friends, co-workers, and family, but its getting ridiculous. Simple things like resizing icons, touchscreen issues, bugs... ect... its becoming more of a nuisance than it should. BN has a great device that is getting shoddy support!

 

-jas


 

What is it that you want your Nook to do that it can't do?

 

They've opened up the OS so apps can be installed. The selection isn't great, but it will grow as more apps get tested and approved.

 

Speaking of which. they've built internal processes and infrastructure for testing apps.

 

They've built a platform and infrastructure that will allow them to distrbute apps going forward - not a trivial exercise.

 

Compare that to what Amazon has done - rebranding some open source app store software and opening it up to anyone who downloaded the Android SDK.

 

Compare it to what they have for Kindle - you know, the Nook's actual competition.

 

Anyone who wants to risk bricking their Nook by installing whatever looks good in the market that day is free to root their machine. But why would BN want to help you do that?

Wordsmith
SCIONTX
Posts: 239
Registered: ‎11-18-2010

Re: update sucks

[ Edited ]

There are lots of reputable apps that won't harm your device. They could link to the Android Market and filter the apps that are well known apps. No need to re-invent the wheel. 

Frequent Contributor
Nokomarie
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎02-06-2011

Re: update sucks

I did the update.. and immediately went shopping, bought two of the astraware games - the 12 solitaire and the mahjong for 4.99 each, grabbed the free task thingie on the way out the door and am as happy as a freaking clam. Are clams happy??

 

At any rate some people are simply happiest when they're unhappy. I'm happy most of the time and find this upgrade just one giant giggle.

 

I have not bought angry birds because I don't exactly get it. I've tried playing it.. not that drawn to it. I'll most likely get one of the brain strainers..

 

4.99 for a game? hell.. it's a gallon of gas.. move on :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
Posts: 140
Registered: ‎09-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: update sucks

 


SCIONTX wrote:

There are lots of reputable apps that won't harm your device. They could link to the Android Market and filter the apps that are well known apps. No need to re-invent the wheel. 


Actually, they can't. There is a licensing agreement between Google and the developers who put their apps there. You can't just scrape the Android Market, at least not legally.

 

Contributor
karin_brenig
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎04-11-2011
0 Kudos

Re: update sucks

Pretty funny, too expensive. lol they start at free and go from there.

Apps are not free to develop it takes many hours to write and test even a basic app.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
Posts: 858
Registered: ‎11-21-2010

Re: update sucks

 


Nokomarie wrote:

I did the update.. and immediately went shopping, bought two of the astraware games - the 12 solitaire and the mahjong for 4.99 each, grabbed the free task thingie on the way out the door and am as happy as a freaking clam. Are clams happy??

 

At any rate some people are simply happiest when they're unhappy. I'm happy most of the time and find this upgrade just one giant giggle.

 

I have not bought angry birds because I don't exactly get it. I've tried playing it.. not that drawn to it. I'll most likely get one of the brain strainers..

 

4.99 for a game? hell.. it's a gallon of gas.. move on :smileyvery-happy:


 

You said it all so well. Anything beyond my books to me is just gravy. Have other stuff to be angry or disappointed in if I want/choose to. Mostly I like to be happy and look at the good side.

 

Most days, other days well I am not so sure.:smileyvery-happy:

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A


Contributor
Cthlhu
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎11-19-2010
0 Kudos

Re: update sucks


MattFL wrote:

 


SCIONTX wrote:

There are lots of reputable apps that won't harm your device. They could link to the Android Market and filter the apps that are well known apps. No need to re-invent the wheel. 


Actually, they can't. There is a licensing agreement between Google and the developers who put their apps there. You can't just scrape the Android Market, at least not legally.

 


Thats not true at all.... AT&T Captivate has limited several applications on the Android Market, as well as having access to AT&T apps that are not avaliable to phones of other carriers.

Contributor
jlmwrite
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎01-13-2011

Re: update sucks

 


Cthlhu wrote:

 

"Its just an eBook reader if you wanted a tablet buy a tablet." Its a valid argument but I disagree. The device has so much potential. Its running a great OS, has a great processor, and a beautiful screen... but im just supposed to be satisfied with just an average eBook reader! I can root it and I do... but I really shouldn't have to rely on the community to develop and "fix" issues that the developer is obviously not going to supply.

 

Sorry if I think that bn is dropping the ball.  


How exactly did B&N "drop the ball"?   They sold you an ereader, nothing more.  No where did I ever see any reference to the NC being an Android tablet -- just an ereader.  The fact that the ereader is built around a fairly sexy tablet is completely irrelevant. 

 

 

Should I be angry with Chevy that my Suburban won't do 170 mph?  Yeh, I could drop in a new engine and turbocharger and tranny, and with the community's support find the right performance chip and other mods to "fix" things that Chevy is obviously not going to supply. 

 

See how ridiculous that sounds?  The analogy is the same.

 

I love my NC.  It's a great ereader.  I'm happy for any and all updates that B&N is willing to give me.  (And just because I rooted mine didn't mean I was unhappy with it; I just can't leave any electronic device alone if it can be tweaked, modded, hacked, rooted, pwn'd, etc, etc, etc.)

Reader 4
Readingprince
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-16-2011

Re: update sucks

I agree with Roy. When I put two eggs and a frying pan in front of my NC, it still won't cook me breakfast!!
Frequent Contributor
pops1959
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎11-28-2010

Re: update sucks

 


Science_man wrote:

 

Some people , they can't ever be pleased , and need to complain .    

 

Usually due to low self esteem.


Thank you Sigmund Freud for that assessment of those of us who are not happy with the new upgrade.  

 

Inspired Contributor
Velvet_Llama
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎04-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: update sucks

5 pages of responses from "update sucks." Not bad roy. Not bad at all.

Inspired Contributor
postalchick
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎02-01-2011

Re: update sucks

I am very happy with the apps offered. I think if we give them a chance, more and more things will be offered. This is only the first day. I would rather it be open to the android market but am very happy with what I see. It will grow if we keep supporting it. The NC is a wonderful device. Let be patient and enjoy.

Frequent Contributor
slowpoke59
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎01-18-2011
0 Kudos

Re: update sucks

 
Frequent Contributor
dkwdba
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎12-24-2010

Re: update sucks

Some people will complain about free money.

 

 

Contributor
Cthlhu
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎11-19-2010

Re: update sucks

 


jlmwrite wrote:


How exactly did B&N "drop the ball"?   They sold you an ereader, nothing more.  No where did I ever see any reference to the NC being an Android tablet -- just an ereader.  The fact that the ereader is built around a fairly sexy tablet is completely irrelevant. 

 

 

Should I be angry with Chevy that my Suburban won't do 170 mph?  Yeh, I could drop in a new engine and turbocharger and tranny, and with the community's support find the right performance chip and other mods to "fix" things that Chevy is obviously not going to supply. 

 

See how ridiculous that sounds?  The analogy is the same.

 

I love my NC.  It's a great ereader.  I'm happy for any and all updates that B&N is willing to give me.  (And just because I rooted mine didn't mean I was unhappy with it; I just can't leave any electronic device alone if it can be tweaked, modded, hacked, rooted, pwn'd, etc, etc, etc.)


No but if Chevy sold you a Suburban and cut the wires to the radio, the AC, the power windows, the power steering, and the hood was missing and said "look it runs just fine it still gets you from point "A" to point "B" ... The fact of the matter is they took a OS stripped it down shot it in the leg and then offered a:

 

 "The Reader's Tablet - Now Even Better"  thats the quote from Barnes and Nobles NookColor page in bright blue bold letters.... sorry if i expected some fuctionality from a TABLET!

 

Support your products!! its been the downfall of so many great "gadgets"

 

... and im totally there in your addiction ... if it can be tweeked, hacked, rooted, or generally taken apart i do...

 

-jas

 

 

Correspondent
Ace7
Posts: 141
Registered: ‎03-16-2011

Re: update sucks

Ahh Jas, if I could "laurel" you twenty times, I would.

 

And just for the record, I received my NC fully under the impression that it was going to be an e-reader tablet. That's what sold me on it. Call me crazy, but a hundred crappy apps (a lot costing over $20??), added Flash, and quite a few obvious bugs.. does not a tablet make.

Facebook.com/CustomizingYourNookColor
Contributor
powerman
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎04-17-2011
0 Kudos

Re: update sucks

[ Edited ]

Roy, you need to get out of Mom's basement for a while and take a walk to cool off.

Mark_OB1
Posts: 1,580
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
Registered: ‎12-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: update sucks

 


MattFL wrote:

 

...do you think they [B&N] could get away with telling NC owners...  "now you're screwed. Here's how you do a factory reset. Hope you have a backup of all your data."?


 

I don't know.  They seem to have been doing a pretty good job of exactly that, the past few days.  :smileysurprised:  :smileysad:

 

- Mark

 

Mark_OB1
Posts: 1,580
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
Registered: ‎12-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: update sucks

 


MattFL wrote:
Amazon lets anybody put anything they want up on their market. Same as Google.

 

I'm sure this wasn't intentional, Matt, but this is completely incorrect information.  Amazon is not the same as Google, and does review submissions before releasing them.  E.g.,

 

   "You can track the approval status of your app at any time..."

 

You can read up on it here, if you'd like to be informed:

 

   https://developer.amazon.com/help/faq.html

 

- Mark