Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
JimJoe
0 Kudos

want to block absurd book suggestions

I am a guy. B&N is wasting its time suggesting books I'll never read.

This time around its books on my female harmonal imbalance. I am very certain I am male and have no need of such materials.

No, none of my female relatives would look for book advice from me.

As I said last time. Suggest something I am likely to read, like computer books.

Anything other book suggestion is a waste of my time.

There still needs to be a filter in 'My Nook' here to let me set the genre I would be willing to accept suggestions for.

I have specifically warned other people at work about this messed up aspect of the Nook.

Let me set my own genre suggestions. Owner of 3 ereaders.
Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Re: want to block absurd book suggestions

Why not just browse, filter and search  and buy on the website if you don't like the way that shop works? The  only time I ever use shop is to buy an app or see what the friday book is. I like browsing on the website since I get more information in exactly the way I want it.

Frequent Contributor
Undo
0 Kudos

I'm not sure I've even noticed what books are being suggested for me. I've trained my eyes, over the years, to ignore most advertising, although once in a while, something will catch my attention.

Frequent Contributor
JimJoe
0 Kudos

Since they expext me to buy, the least they could bring themselves to do is suggest books I'll spend money on. For them to do otherwise is idiocy. Certainly shows a lack of common sense.

Frequent Contributor
Undo
0 Kudos

I agree, you'd think they would have some formula for suggesting books based on your previous purchases. Netflix and iTunes both do a good job of that.

Wordsmith
doncr

IT should be common knowledge by now that BN markets the Nook Color to women.  They probably don't go to the trouble to see what you've bought or the books that you look at on the website in order to tailor the suggestions.  It's easier for them to throw up some romance novels, Cosmo/People/Yoga magazines, and slap a sample cookbook on your device than try to figure out who you are and what you'd be interested in purchasing.

Frequent Contributor
JimJoe

[ Edited ]

I read books, lots of them. I bought the Nook color so I could read ebooks with DRM.

Not marketing to me and my book likes is lost sales.

No company that wants to stay in business can afford to mismarket the things they sell.

It should be an easy add-on to all of our profiles here so we can let B&N know what genres of books we are interested in and therefore increasing their sales.

Their current method is decreasing sales.

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

I'm not interested in what they think I want to read. Or, for that matter, what ANY company or person suggests I read, unless they know ME. Basing on what others have bought doesn't work for me in any category, for any company.

So very easy to ignore it all, and not worth my time or energy to do otherwise. And it's what I do with all companies that attempt to be "helpful"...

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
0 Kudos

Innovation in a world of imitation

[ Edited ]

doncr wrote:

...  It's easier for them to throw up some romance novels, Cosmo/People/Yoga magazines, and slap a sample cookbook on your device than try to figure out who you are and what you'd be interested in purchasing.

What?  That would require some THINKING, some intelligent marketing, rather than the "spam approach" to marketing.

This is where Amazon excels over most Internet marketeers;  you can tailor the recommendations you get.  Not that I get great recommendations, but at least they don't firehose everyone with the same thing.

In fact, I'd like to know one area where B&N has been innovative.  Bringing out the Nook was (innovation-wise) a just better mousetrap than the Kindle, and the NookColor, although technically well-done, was just a color extension/integration of the original Nook with the burdgeoning tablet market -- they were just lucky to be first.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Bibliophile
Schwa

Re: Innovation in a world of imitation

[ Edited ]

DeanGibson wrote:

In fact, I'd like to know one area where B&N has been innovative.  Bringing out the Nook was (innovation-wise) a just better mousetrap than the Kindle, and the NookColor, although technically well-done, was just a color extension/integration of the original Nook with the burdgeoning tablet market -- they were just lucky to be first.

I have to disagree with your last statement there, Dean.  While you are correct that it doesn't really fall under the term "innovative", I think they deserve a little more credit than "lucky".

Amazon was absolutely steadfast in their firm belief that no one wanted to read books on an LCD device (they certainly are scrambling now) and the original iPad had already landed huge.   B&N made the very gutsy move of betting that there was a market somewhere in the middle, and it paid off. They've been without competition there in that spot for almost a year now.  I don't see luck, I see everyone else playing catchup to an original idea (not the device, the vision of a target market).

On topic: In the age of Amazon and Google, I don't really bat an eye at forced advertisement, sad as that may be.  B&N is not currently very good at it for sure (OMG, I have hope for the future!  sacrilege!) but It doesn't really bother me that much.  Just adding my opinion to the mix, I can see how others would be frustrated.

Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

I don't pay much attention to the shopping home page for B&N, but I did notice last night that it gave me a book suggestion and mentioned it was based upon a specific title I had downloaded a few days earlier.  I have no idea if they have a thinking system in place to analyze/predict members' reading tastes.  They do keep track of every single book that you just read the overview of...can't imagine that info is never going to be used for anything. 

Did you double check that you are registered as male on your user profile?

The only program that does an impressive job of guessing what I will like is Pandora (amazingly accurate) and Netflix (somewhat accurate.)  Amazon sends "you might like"s to my inbox on a regular basis and just get deleted without opening now because it is never anything that I am interested in. 

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

[ Edited ]

Huh.  I don't know what I'm doing differently, but I don't get any of the romance/erotic/vampire/werewolf/truly annoying book recommendations that I see so many here complain about.  Thank goodness, because I don't read any of those genres that people here like to stereotype as being all I must read since I am a woman (my bookshelves are filled with science fiction, fantasy, mythology, programming, math, and physics books--maybe I'm not really a woman *rolls eyes*).  All of the recommendations I get are in the genre I read most--Science Fiction & Fantasy.  And they are usually actual science fiction or epic fantasy.  Maybe it's because I'm as particular about which free ebooks I dowload as I am about the ebooks I buy?  My only real annoyance is that most of the recommendations are for books I already own in hardcover.

Distinguished Correspondent
bestem

I do wish you could tell B&N not to make reccommendations off any books that were freebies.  Or maybe only off books that you add to your library on My B&N.  

Bibliophile
bklvr896

I get book recommendations off freebies and off items I've purchased.  I look at them sometime, othertimes, I don't.  It doesn't really bother me, I'm very good at ignoring information I'm not interested in, so I don't see it as a big deal.  There are a lot of other things I wish they'd work on fixing or improving that, IMHO, are more important.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

I just never do my book browsing from my Nook. I look first on Amazon, because they excel at recommendations based on MY critera. Then, once I find a book I am interested in, I check the online library first to see if they have it (they rarely do, unfortunately), then I look for it on BN.com and add it to my library there. So, I don't ever see B&N's useless recommendations. (They really need to improve in this area!)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

I don't read any of those genres that people here like to stereotype as being all I must read since I am a woman (my bookshelves are filled with science fiction, fantasy, mythology, programming, math, and physics books--maybe I'm not really a woman *rolls eyes*).

Would you marry me?  :smileywink:

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

Nallia wrote:

I don't read any of those genres that people here like to stereotype as being all I must read since I am a woman (my bookshelves are filled with science fiction, fantasy, mythology, programming, math, and physics books--maybe I'm not really a woman *rolls eyes*).

Would you marry me?  :smileywink:

I would consider it, but someone else already beat you to it.  :smileywink:

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:I would consider it, but someone else already beat you to it.  :smileywink:

I take it you are not in southern Utah?

Oh wait;  I've got it backwards ...

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

Nallia wrote:I would consider it, but someone else already beat you to it.  :smileywink:

I take it you are not in southern Utah?

Oh wait;  I've got it backwards ...

Ever see "Paint Your Wagon"?  Maybe she's near No Name City ...  :smileywink:

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed