Contributor
skorpio1313
0 Kudos

1.2 update night reading

Has anyone else been experiencing problems with the night reading setting since upgrading to versio 1.2? Mine will not turn background dar with white lettering anymore.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Re: 1.2 update night reading

Are you sure Publisher's Defaults is unchecked?

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
skorpio1313
0 Kudos

Even when i turn off publisher defaults, the background will go dark but the lettering stays black amy suggestions
Contributor
tollertwins
0 Kudos

I never got night reading to work even on 1.01 (I'm on rooted on this version).

I ended up going to black on grey and turning the brightness way down.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

skorpio1313 wrote:
Even when i turn off publisher defaults, the background will go dark but the lettering stays black amy suggestions

Mine also did this right after the update. I pretty much use the night mode all the time and was panicked when all I got was a big black screen. Although it was a very nice black screen, the kind of black that the screen should be in night mode. :smileywink:

I powered all the way off, waited a few seconds and then powered on again and the problem was fixed, so it's back to the semi-black screen in night mode.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Contributor
KnitGirlinIdaho
0 Kudos

All my backgrounds and fonts still work the same since the new update, HOWEVER my screen will not dim down as far as it used to before the update and that really bothers me. It's very uncomfortable reading in bed at night now because it's WAY too bright.

Frequent Contributor
Lblaze
0 Kudos

Could one of you wonderful tech-savy people tell me how to enable night reading on NC? Please and thank you :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Lblaze wrote:

Could one of you wonderful tech-savy people tell me how to enable night reading on NC? Please and thank you :smileyhappy:

In an open book, tap the center of the screen, then Font. In the pop up window, tap Night, you may have to scroll to see it.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

Open book

Tap center of screen

Tap "text"

Tap "normal" (order of settings: font size, font name, reading mode, margin, publisher defaults on/off)

Scroll up or down within that small menu that pops up

Tap your selection to set it - be patience while it switches over

Tap on the page away from settings area

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Reader 2
Warrier_Librarian
0 Kudos

Did you every get a response to the night mode problem?  I can no longer get true night mode since the upgrade.  The only letters that are white are words that are in italic.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

The best fix for this is not supplied by BN, unfortunately. 

It's to root your device and install Aldiko, which has true night mode (black, not grey) as well as landscape mode.  I recommend Aldiko specifically because I know it can import your BN paid content. 

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-want-to-root-my-nc.html

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/aldiko-for-landscape-mode.html

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
zester42
0 Kudos

This thread is making me nervous...  I use my NC purely as an ereader, and keep the WiFi off most all the time.  Thus, I am still on the old software, 1.1.   If I do turn on the WiFi, I will likely get updated to 1.2, and I think I'd rather stay at 1.1 for now.  I read in the night mode ALL the time, and love to read in bed with the lights out!!  If the software update changes that for the worse, will I be able to go BACK to version 1.1 if I choose to??  And if so - how??  Thanks!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

If you like your device as-is, rooting it will prevent it from updating.  You can root it and leave it be aside from rooting it - all the software will stay aboard.

If your device updates and your night mode is not working, you can do one of two things:

- roll back to 1.1 or

- root 1.2 and install Aldiko.  Aldiko can read BN books, and Aldiko has a great night mode.  Aldiko also supports landscape viewing for your books, which for many folks is very, very helpful. 

Rooting instructions for 1.1 or 1.2 are here:

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-want-to-root-my-nc.html

Rollback instructions for 1.2 > 1.1 are here:

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/unrootingresetting-to-stock.html

Notes on Aldiko, BN DRM and the risks from that DRM are here:

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/aldiko-for-landscape-mode.html

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

zester42 wrote:

This thread is making me nervous...  I use my NC purely as an ereader, and keep the WiFi off most all the time.  Thus, I am still on the old software, 1.1.   If I do turn on the WiFi, I will likely get updated to 1.2, and I think I'd rather stay at 1.1 for now.  I read in the night mode ALL the time, and love to read in bed with the lights out!!  If the software update changes that for the worse, will I be able to go BACK to version 1.1 if I choose to??  And if so - how??  Thanks!!

i sideloaded 1.2 to my NC the day it was released. Night mode works correctly here, so it's not a universal issue.