Frequent Contributor
Claimdude
0 Kudos

1.4.1 Update magazine problem

I successfully updated my NC  this afternoon (sideloaded). Whn I read my magazine now (I zoom in then pan around the page) the top entence of the page is cut off. When I scroll the page down it stops before reaching the top of the page of the magazine. Whe I scroll the other direction then there is a large blank space below the bottom of the page. I archived the mag and unarchived it redownloaded to my NC and the problem persists. Quite annoying. I realize that others may use article view to read and mayeven not zoom into read outside article view but at 56 my vision needs the zoom in and I have been reading this magazine since getting my NC in June without his kind of problem.

Any idea how to fix this? Thanks in advance for the assistance

Jack  

Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67
0 Kudos

Re: 1.4.1 Update magazine problem

I've tried with the 5 different magazines I subscribe too and have no issues like you describe. It's not a Nook issue, it's a formatting issue with that particular magazine. Contact the publisher.

Inspired Contributor
Dr_CTF
0 Kudos

I have the same problem after the NC 1.4.1 update, did you ever find a solution?  The only way I can read magazines now is in landscape mode.

Chris

Inspired Contributor
Dr_CTF
0 Kudos

SIGal67:  This IS a nook issue.  "Contact the publisher" is not a helpful suggestion.  My subscriptions to HBR, The Writer, and Guitar World are all affected in the same way Jack described.  The update makes my magazine subscriptions unreadable except when viewing in landscape mode.

SIGal67
0 Kudos

Dr_CTF wrote:

SIGal67:  This IS a nook issue.  "Contact the publisher" is not a helpful suggestion.  My subscriptions to HBR, The Writer, and Guitar World are all affected in the same way Jack described.  The update makes my magazine subscriptions unreadable except when viewing in landscape mode.

I subscribe to The Writer and don't have the problem described. When I zoom in and scroll it is fine. Sounds like either a corrupted update or a corrupted magazine download. Again, I subscribe to The Writer and don't have that problem. I can't replicate it with any of my other magazines either.

Finally, keep your attacks to yourself. Contacting the publisher is not a useless suggestion. They, not Barnes and Noble, are responsible for formatting each issue properly. 

Inspired Contributor
Dr_CTF
0 Kudos

Your observation that one magazine formats OK with some NC 1.4.1 devices but that exact same magazine does not format OK with other NC 1.4.1 devices implies that this is not a publisher problem. Furthermore, the formatting "glitch" is identical on multiple magazine subscriptions, again making a BN software bug a more likely culprit.  Since all magazines are affected on certain devices, contacting all the publishers is not likely to be a productive solution (not their job to debug BN software/hardware).

I hope there is a solution besides wiping and re-registering the device.  As both Jack and I mentioned, archiving/unarchiving does not help, meaning the magazine download is not likely to be corrupted either.

Also, did the magazine page numbers disappear after the update when using the "quick thumbnail scroll" feature?  They no longer appear on my device and it makes it difficult to follow articles that are split across many pages.

At least on my NC, this 1.4.1 update is a big step backward for the magazine reader and essentially breaks it.

(Kindly point out the "attack" in either of my previous posts and I will be happy to apologize.)

Contributor
Dlbroox
0 Kudos

I'm completely unhappy with the magazine reading experience now. The clock is missing, you can't zoom into pictures like you could before, it doesn't scroll around the page correctly, it's slow and wonky. They broke it. They need to fix it. Oh, and I hate that stupid page turning animation. There is no way to turn that off. CS told me in settings but that only affects books.
Inspired Contributor
Dr_CTF
0 Kudos

I agree.  The magazine reading experience is broken.  Why are the clock and battery life indicators gone?  Why were page numbers removed from the page thumbnails?  Why can't I turn off the magazine page-turn animation?  I can barely turn pages in landscape mode without triggering the page thumbnails.

Maybe BN now wants the NC to be a streaming video player instead of an e-reader ... video seems to be their new priority.  Each new update and feature should improve the reading experience, not make it worse.

SIGal67
0 Kudos

The magazine reader isn't broken. Works fine for me. I don't mind the page number or thumbnail things. Zooming and scrolling works just like it always has. 

Inspired Contributor
Dr_CTF
0 Kudos

I'm happy that you do not miss the features BN removed from the magazine reader and are not experiencing the broken functionality (top of magazines chopped-off during zoom, random blank pages, misc. weird wonky behavior etc) that myself and others are experiencing.  However, for me and some other users, apparently, the magazine reader IS broken.  But hey, at least we now have Netflix on our e-readers!

Inspired Contributor
Dr_CTF
0 Kudos

The original poster may be aware of this by now, but I can duplicate the magazine problem he reported on NT devices on display at B&N stores (and I observe the same problem on my NC and my wife's NC), so this is likely a "feature" of the new magazine reader in the 1.4.1 software for NC and NT devices.  There probably is no solution beyond downgrading to a previous version of the software or waiting for the next version that may or may not fix the bug. 

Frequent Contributor
gudguy1
0 Kudos

My apologies for not getting on this page sooner and posting.

I too discovered this, the first couple of days after the firmware was released and I had it downloaded in the store (I was waiting for a car repair across the street).

After the store clerk who helpfully downloaded the firmware for me, I went back to the car dealer to complete the update process.  Well...... I went back across the street to show her the problem.  The top inch or so is cut off in portrait mode while a lot of extra empty space is added to the bottom.

The problem affects all magazines.  It was not one specific magazine subscription as a couple of helpful posters here stated but the problem boiled down to the Nook.  I've been in computers and tech support and engineering for too many years to not recognize a firmware problem.

She told me she was going to tell her in store tech person, not sure if that happened or not. 

I did not notice the missing thumbnail numbers until I got home (having the thumbnail pages pop up/out is nice but - I REALLY like having the page numbers that go with them).

When I got home (at least my car repair was smooth and seamless), I got on to chat first with a B & N support person.

That was not very successfull and he had me call the toll free support number.

I did that and after SEVERAL attempts EACH of:

== Archiving and Un-archiving magazines,

== reinstalling the firmware and

== default resets

--- the problem STILL exists

This problem only equates to the firmware update.  And after working with software since the early 80s, this looks to be a firmware problem - I might look into ROLLING BACK to the previous firmware version...

I have been patiently waiting since last month for a fix but nada.  Soooo, I sent a polite 'steaming' email to their support team a couple of hours ago saying 'Hello....  is there a fix for this problem yet for us???'

Maybe after all of the other postings here and in other Nook problems & complaint blogs, B & N might get this fixed posthaste...

Thanks for all your info Dr CTF and SIGal67. We'll see what happens next.

Frequent Contributor
gudguy1
0 Kudos

Just got an email last night from Barnes & Noble support in response to an email of mine with the same content I posted above.

The email, with my first thought being it contained a solution - it DID NOT.  It contained the following instead:

=======================================================

We are eager to resolve your problem, but require more information. Please respond to this email with the following:
- Order number of magazine
- Registered email address

If you prefer to chat with one of our Digital representatives, please click on this link:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookchat

======================================================

So instead of offering a workable solution, it is starting the troubleshooting over again...!!!!  After I gave them the exact details AND doing all of the workarounds they currently had.

And the support person could have VERY easily verified that my email WAS/IS my registered email.

So - this v1.4.1 saga looks like it is going to go on somewhat longer.  After having this Nook for over a year, I am now starting to have reservations about continued use....

Contributor
Dlbroox
0 Kudos

I have actually toyed with the idea of putting the nook color aside and buying the Economist in its paper version. I adore the nook simple touch for reading books and don't read books on the color anymore, but I loved it for magazines. But now I'm not really that keen on it with all of its buggy behavior. And I recently purchased a Vanity Fair magazine that is a newly updated app type experience with video and links and I really disliked it. All I want is a digital version of a magazine...not a digital mix of media. I just want to read a bloody magazine!
Frequent Contributor
gudguy1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I'm going to give it a bit longer to see what they come up with for us Nook color users.  Or to see if they are in the sly process of giving up on the Nook color users in favor of the Nook tablet....

Inspired Contributor
Dr_CTF
0 Kudos

Thanks for your post regarding the buggy NC magazine reader following the 1.4.1 update and your attempts at finding a solution, I will stop wasting time trying to make my NC work properly.  Unfortunately, the bug is not restricted to the Nook Color, the exact same behavior was apparent with the Nook Tablet devices on display at my local B&N last week.  Maybe that means there will be a fix someday for both devices, but in the meantime I'm loosing interest in magazines on the nook.  B&N should offer a 10% discount on nook magazines since the top 10% of each page is unreadable now.  Some magazine margins are small enough that the top sentence or two is missing on every page.

Frequent Contributor
gudguy1
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting that tablet info, handy.  But are you kidding me???

ON the device ON DISPLAY IN THE STORE!!!  And they are leaving it like that?   

Now that is something - says a lot about customer service and marketing.

"Say folks, take a look at our new tablets and the way they cut off the top of the magazine. And, oh, by the way - you get a 10% discount...."

Yes, maybe we will see a fix sooner.  Maybe this is the start of another Microsoft type company, software updates - once a month, on Patch Tuesday.

Inspired Contributor
Dr_CTF
0 Kudos

Don't hold your breath.  There were basic "core reading" bugs on the N1E that were never fixed during the entire life of the product.  In fact, I would be thrilled if the nook update cycle and software quality was anywhere near that of Microsoft and their endless updates.

B&N will apparently rush a fix if it's in their best interest (e.g., shut down the sideloading of apps from the Android store) but may or may not fix existing "customer annoyance" bugs in their next update (whenever that is), and will likely introduce even more new bugs along with the new features.  My impression is that the updates are more about keeping up in a race for features, to make the NC and NT competitive with generic tablets.

B&N apparently will not even train/instruct their customer service reps to acknowledge bugs like the magazine reader glitch, so paying customers are led down a rabbit hole of wasted time with bookmark- and shelf-killing factory-resets.

Frequent Contributor
gudguy1

[ Edited ]

Yes, that is much too bad for us, these long refresh cycles. One would think that with all the multiple folks complaining on some of the same topics, BN would issue a fix, sooner rather than later.

I just checked the site and there is no fix posted and I have not heard from anyone at BN about a fix. And I've had my ticket in since the first week of this update.  Email, chat and phone support.

In the meantime, I've been telling friends and acquantices to "NOT" purchcase a Nook (Touch, color, tablet - none) due to the very, very poor customer service and the lack of training you mentioned for their support team.

I do not use mine as much anymore due to the "feature enhancements" - the scrolling pop up thumbnails are nice - but having the page numbers below are helpful.  The clock at bottom right was good to have.  The current use of the N button, well, I am not going to make a comment because it will get flagged as profane or obscene, sooo....

And oh, have you noticed that when flip a magazine page, if you're on a page zoomed in, that when it flips - instead of it flipping to the left hand side of the next page, it flips to the far right side and we then have to scroll over to the left.  Now I call that a feature enhancement, fer sure....

Soon as someone puts out a 10" tablet, at a DECENT price, I'll more than likely abandon BN.  I've been in the computer field, inclusive of worldwide tech support, for too long to be anywhere near pleased with BN.

Sorry for the rant - but, I am sorely irritated.  It's like the ticket is in a black hole with no follow up to us (or at least to me anyway).  Take care.

(you know, I've been flagging these message to email me but nothing is coming to me atll....)

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

gg1 writes "One would think that with all the multiple folks complaining on some of the same topics, BN would issue a fix, sooner rather than later."

Be careful what you wish for...  BN has a tendency to redo the wireless stack with every update, and it seems that for every access point they get working, another goes blotto. 

Personally, I don't like the absolute size of the 'enhanced' magazines, so I've locked my NC at 1.2.  I keep meaning to try updating to 1.3 to see if the issues of the New Yorker that auto-download now (finally) to the NC are at least readable on it under 1.3, but for now I'm using the old-format versions available to my NST and prefer those.

That said, neither the NC or NT that I have are clipping lines from my magazines.  It might be worth trying a hard reset if you haven't already;  alternately, you can roll back to 1.2 or 1.3 and freeze your configuration there by blowing in the 1.4.1 build.prop. 

The magazine reader was one of the big enhancements in 1.3 so I suspect that a 1.3 unit could read the new magazines, but I have not tested this myself as yet. 

Instructions for rolling back are at

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/12/keeping-your-nc-at-12-or-13.html

The disk you make for your roll back can also be used to install the file that keeps your NC from updating further.  The process does not require that you root your device (though you certainly can once you've learned to make the disk.) 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.