Frequent Contributor
gudguy1
0 Kudos

Re: 1.4.1 Update magazine problem

Ahhhh - roustabout - Great info, thanks.

I actually have been thinking about rolling back to a pre-1.4.1 version for several weeks now. From what I see in 1.4.1 with its concurrent problems, it is completely justifiable (to me) to roll back and discontinue using 1.4.1 and remain continually annoyed and frustrated.

Many others here have discussed and actually rolled back, I guess it is my turn now as well.

Yes, on the 'what you wish for' issue, very true argument you make.  I am of the mind that Barnes & Noble is simply not yet up to world class levels for many of us to remain loyal.

And thanks for posting that link.

(I would've gotten to this sooner if my checking the check box for when someone replies actually worked...)

Inspired Contributor
Dr_CTF
0 Kudos

gudguy1:

" We'll see what happens next."

B&N released firmware 1.4.2 for the NC and it does NOT fix the magazine-cropping bug introduced in version 1.4 so paying customers with magazine subscriptions will wait even longer (another 60 days or more?) for a fix.  I assumed B&N would be responsive to problems with the reader applications and would strive to provide the best *reading experience* but maybe I was mistaken?

CTF

Frequent Contributor
gudguy1

[ Edited ]

Dr_CTF - thought I'd go into the store again to see what the Nook manager would say about this existing problem.

NADA! ZIP!  I showed it to the Nook manager and one of her team - and we also replicated the problem on the Nook Tablet. 

But - no detailed trouble report or ticket was taken to pass on to tech support... To be honest, I do not know if she did this activity after I left the store...

So, the problem of 'BAD MAGAZINE PAGE FORMATTING' exists across all the platforms.  And after explaining ad nauseum to multiple people, it seems no one gets it.  No one cares or they are working on it and not saying anything. Which if they are working on it - very stupid to not say anything.

I am going to break down and just take some pix of the problem and send them in to the Executive staff at Barnes and Noble hq.   I was on the verge of just emailing the damn device in them and say fix this problem.

As it is, I am not purchasing any more magazines through Barnes and Noble for the reader. At least not until they fix the problem of page formatting.

As a side note, with these last two firmware updates, when you have a magazine page enlarged and you tap the screen to go to the next page.  Does your device make it flip, incorrectly, to the lower right of the next page or does it correctly flip to the upper left of the next page so you don't have to manually shift the page to the upper left quadrant?

Take care.

Frequent Contributor
gudguy1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sorry about this late post.

But - well - it appears they finally figured out that the page display problem was not in user's minds or that we were just flat out stupid.  Barnes & Noble figured out, after a multitude of helpful and highly informative customers that it was a page display formatting problem.

How hard was that to figure out?  And to redefine that display code....???

It now appears that firmware update 1.4.2 fixed the problem.

I really, REALLY hope that it does not take Barnes & Noble fine tech support and software folks 6 - 7 months to fix other problems in the future.  And that they will actually listen much better to what customers, across the board, tell what is wrong.

After this fun and annoying experience, I still may jump ship to the next best 10" tablet (at a better cost that is)...

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Didn't posters above say 1.4.2 does NOT fix the problem? I'm confused. 1.4.2 has been out for a while.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

1.4.1 broke it. 

1.4.2 did nothing to address the issue

1.4.3 fixed it.

Frequent Contributor
gudguy1
0 Kudos

ackkkk.....  Sorry, my typo.

I did mean 1.4.3, thanks for the catch both of you, bobstro and nookgardner, from a very highly annoyed Nook device user.

1.4.2 did come out months ago, February I believe.  Again, sorry about the typo.

Inspired Contributor
Dr_CTF
0 Kudos

gudguy1

I am happy that my nook color finally works as advertised, that the latest update mostly restores the functionality of the device.

But it is extremely peculiar that B&N let an annoying bug that interferes with reading purchased B&N content fester for 6+ months, especially without informing CS or other nook reps of the problem, thereby wasting valuable customer time. Maybe B&N was too busy selling more nooks with Angry Birds and Netflix than figuring out how to collect and respond to customer-reported issues. It really drives home that the nook business is still apparently managed like a deadwood bookseller (an inefficient one at that): all nook problems, like deadwood book problems, can be fixed by replacing the device or by showing the customer that they're using it wrong, or something.

If customers feel like the only option is to contact the executive board to fix such a simple but annoying and long-standing software issue, then something is seriously wrong in the organizational structure. For what it's worth, I have yet to find similar rookie software issues in any of the kindle devices but there are still several remaining in the nook. For example:

1. No clock or battery status indicator in the magazine reader. (The nook comic reader still works great, it never had the page chop-off bug but it seemingly duplicates the function of the magazine reader)

2. Page-advance in the magazine reader through tapping does not reset the view to the upper left quadrant, the most logical location. Perhaps this is a feature, in case a magazine has flip-book animation or something.

3. Highlights and notes in the epub reader do not work properly, never have and likely never will in the current generation of nooks. (Highlighting and dictionary lookups regularly crash the N1E reader and that bug was never fixed.) Current problems range from highlighted regions randomly deviating from the selected regions, inability to highlight hyphenated words at the edge of the page without changing the font size first, and inability to highlight across nook-paginated page boundaries.

I have given up hope that the nook devices will advance reading to the "next level" appropriate for the technology. Wouldn't it be nice to, say, browse the bookmarked pages from all or a subset of purchased magazine issues? Analogous to clipping pages from cooking magazines into a binder.