Contributor
Drew_Wrobel
Accepted Solution

1.4.1 Update makes Apps "Not Supported" on Nook Color - What the Hell????

I just did the 1.4.1 update manually.  Didn't have any problems and it went through fine within a few minutes of going to sleep.

The Nook rebooted and got the new layout and some of the features.  Took a bit of getting used to the new Library and having the Apps in it's own section.  At first.

At some point after the initial reboot, I went to go into my apps and only the default set are shown.  I can use any of the apps that are on the home screens.  I was confused what happened to all my apps but I finally found them.

I clicked on the 'My Stuff' tab and then selected 'Everything Else'.  All of the apps, except for the ones are come out of the box with the nook, are being reports as "Content Not Supported on This Device"

What the Hell!?!?!?!?!?!

I hit the Nook button once and select Shop and then go into Apps.  I pick any of the various apps I've purchased, like Angry Birds.  I also states that "Sorry, this content is currently not supported on this NOOK.  Visit nookcolor.com/support for m..."

I can play Angry Birds since it's on one of my three home pages.  But any of the other apps that aren't are unable.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Any ideas/suggests on how to fix this?  Outside of doing a factory reset.  Which I'd like NOT to do, since I have some documents saved that don't appear to be on my SD card.

Thanks

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: 1.4.1 Update makes Apps "Not Supported" on Nook Color - What the Hell????

If you've already tried doing a full power down/power up cycle and this persists, you probably do need to do an OS reinstall. If you haven't, I'd try that (hold power button in ~20 seconds, ignore the 'do you want to shut down?" question, then power back up) 

Hopefully you can connect your NC to your computer and copy the docs on internal memory across to your card so you don't lose them. 

I'm pretty sure someone recently did an OS reinstall via the 8 failed boot method and they kept the stuff on /media - it's possible that 8 failed boots only touches /system and /data, which should leave sideloaded stuff alone but will reset all apps. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
KidneyKid

Try archiving and then unarchiving the apps that show up as unsupported. I had the same problem with the Kongregate app and this fixed it. You have to go to your account on the B&N website and do it since you cannot archive it from the Nook itself. Do a full power off after you archive it and another after you unarchivenit. This worked for me.
Contributor
Kimmrg
0 Kudos

The archive/unarchive did not work for me.  Keep those suggestions comin'!

Contributor
Mr_Weatherbee
0 Kudos

I had this problem with the nook kids book "The Lump of Coal" by Lemony Snicket. Archive on PC -> sync nook color -> download to nook color did thetrick for me. Thanks!

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

I have just one app-TV.com, that is stuck in the "everything else" "not supported" file.  Someone said to go to the BN website and keep archiving and unarching the app and it will reset-didn't work.  I did a complete system reset and reinstalled all my apps-didn't work.  Short of going back to 1.3 I'm not sure what to do...

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

I was going to point you to this:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Tv-com-app-not-for-Nook-Color/m...

but I see you've already gotten the bad news over there.

However, maybe someone else with the same problem can make use of that link.

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

petesnook wrote:

I was going to point you to this:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Tv-com-app-not-for-Nook-Color/m...

but I see you've already gotten the bad news over there.

However, maybe someone else with the same problem can make use of that link.

If you were referring to me, thanks!  Yeah I caught it.  Now this kind of bothers me, this chasm between the NC and NT.  Physical abilities aside (as the NT is superior physically) is BN going to start this war of "us" and "them" and have apps that will/can work on the NC BUT make them available only for the tablet?  I can understand having apps that will work only on the NT due to it's physical capabilities, but to separate apps strictly because of "luxury" of owning the NT and since we are the lowly NC owners we get the table scraps?  I hope I've explained myself correctly...

New User
jes1663
0 Kudos

I just got off the phone with Nook support. After 45 minutes of trying random things we found something that worked. I had to erase and deregister my Nook (under Device Info) and reregister. So far it appears to have worked. I had redownload my magazines, books, and apps which was a little annoying but everything is now working as it should.

New User
2aussiemom
0 Kudos

Thank you, thank you!  I "lost" Scrabble to "Not Supported Hell" after loading 1.4.1 on my NC.  This method got it back for me.  My Scrabble addiction lives.... ;-)

New User
Antera
0 Kudos

. Tv.com not being compatable with nook color but only the nook tablet reeks of what Apple did to the iphone. I left the apple probucts because of this and will consider leaving b&n too if they keep this up. It is bad enough that so many apps they charge for are free everywhere else but now to make the free apps not work on a device I have had for less than a year because I do not have the new device? Apple thought it would force me to buy a new iphone. WRONG!! I will not be buying a new nook either. If all consumers woukd get together and stop buying from companies that do this maybe they would stop.