New User
ASmithTX
0 Kudos

3G NookColor

So since it does not specifically state that the Nook will be 3G, does that mean I will have to have a WIFI spot? If so I will keep my black and white!

Contributor
ChappyEight
0 Kudos

Re: 3G NookColor

Correct, this device does not include 3G.  I'm sure cost being the main reason; both hardware and the fact that you'd likely have to pay for the service due to increased bandwidth usage.

New User
kireland
0 Kudos

Does this mean that there are no plans to release a 3G NookColor?  I agree with the previous poster, if there is no 3G, then I'm sticking with my b&w.

Contributor
ChappyEight
0 Kudos

I've not seen BN comment either way regarding this topic.  I would think a 3G version would come out sometime after Christmas, but don't be surprised if 3G service is not free with the NOOKcolor.

New User
Grand_Duchess
0 Kudos

Ah.,,,as many of us with the 3G version I am really not ready to give that feature up since I download while traveling.  But if delivering the product is that much more expensive give the user the option to download via 3G with a charge.  Don't just take the option away from us. Come on B&N you're big boys work it out!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Grand_Duchess wrote:

Ah.,,,as many of us with the 3G version I am really not ready to give that feature up since I download while traveling.  But if delivering the product is that much more expensive give the user the option to download via 3G with a charge.  Don't just take the option away from us. Come on B&N you're big boys work it out!

I'm not sure B&N wants to get in the business of selling data plans.  The iPad data plans are 250MB/$14.99 a month and 2GB/$25.00 per month.  To give you an idea of the probably cost if they did decide to do it.

New User
ez4tim
0 Kudos

Let's see, they have a NookColor developer page for people to develop apps for the NookColor.  All we need now is for someone to develop an app that uses the mini-USB port to attach a 3G or 4G for that matter USB device.  For example, my T-Mobile USB 3G adaptor plugs into my various laptops and I am able to access the Internet so just create an app that will recognize the three or four devices and services that are commercially available and one can use their existing devices and data plans for no additional cost.

This way B&N doesn't need to get into the data plan business...!

Also, that is exactly why I refuse to purchase Apple products.  They have always been an organization that demands you use their service providers.  it's about choice folks... that's what Android is about as well.. 

Correspondent
g0tr00t
0 Kudos

ez4tim, check this out.  It turns your 3g USB into a hotspot.

http://www.gadling.com/2010/03/01/turn-your-usb-modem-into-a-hotspot-with-the-aluratek-cdm530am/

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

ez4tim wrote:

Let's see, they have a NookColor developer page for people to develop apps for the NookColor.  All we need now is for someone to develop an app that uses the mini-USB port to attach a 3G or 4G for that matter USB device.  For example, my T-Mobile USB 3G adaptor plugs into my various laptops and I am able to access the Internet so just create an app that will recognize the three or four devices and services that are commercially available and one can use their existing devices and data plans for no additional cost.

You're assuming that everyone has some existing device with a data plan and I suspect some of the people asking this don't.  Some people still do have cell phones without data:smileyhappy: plans. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
COBHC
0 Kudos

correct the nook color will work just with WIFI connection it is not 3g capable

my hate is constant and sharp and i do not hope for a better world for anyone in fact i want my pain to be inflicted on others