Contributor
alchemyfyr
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

A few questions about Charging Battery and n button

Hi everyone!  I got my Nook Color for Christmas and LOVE it!  I have a few questions and have been reading on the board but wanted to double check again.

Is it safe to plug in overnight and leave it to charge?  I am a bit nervous but I saw a bunch of people said that is what they do......Does it matter what percent the battery is at?  Is it better to run it down to the 15% it notifies you of and charge it or do you charge it at any point at the end of the day (30%, 40% whatever)? 

When you plug it in the Nook starts up, do you leave it on all night, do you soft press the Power button to make it sleep, or does it go to sleep on its own once you leave it be?

If the battery is not replaceable, how long does it last before you'd have to buy another?

Can I plug it in and use it while it is charging? 

Can you plug it in and only partially charge it or once you start do you need to charge it fully? 

The last few days (since the update) when I am reading a book and tap the n to bring up the nav bar, I will touch the Home button and it goes orange but does nothing.  I will tap it a few times, each time going orange, but nothing, sometimes if I push it harder it will finally go Home, but sometimes I have to push library and it immediately goes to library and then I tap Home and it will go home.  Anyone else notice this? 

Thank you all for your help....I know it's a lot but I just don't want to shorten the battery life by doing something wrong.

Kristy

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Re: A few questions about Charging Battery and n button

alchemyfyr wrote:

Hi everyone!  I got my Nook Color for Christmas and LOVE it!  I have a few questions and have been reading on the board but wanted to double check again.

Is it safe to plug in overnight and leave it to charge?  I am a bit nervous but I saw a bunch of people said that is what they do......Does it matter what percent the battery is at?  Is it better to run it down to the 15% it notifies you of and charge it or do you charge it at any point at the end of the day (30%, 40% whatever)? 

From what I have read this type of battery does not need to be run down and it is safe to leave plugged in all night. It stops charging when full.

When you plug it in the Nook starts up, do you leave it on all night, do you soft press the Power button to make it sleep, or does it go to sleep on its own once you leave it be?

It will go to sleep on its own or you can put it to sleep. In settings you can set how many minutes until it goes to sleep, I think it is between 2 and 15.

If the battery is not replaceable, how long does it last before you'd have to buy another?

Have not heard of anyone needing one yet.

You can but some users have reported that the screen can act a bit crazy at times if using while plugged in, mine is ok plugged in but has gotten hot once using this way. Also be careful of the plug if using plugged in, do not let it bend at all it is know to break.

Can you plug it in and only partially charge it or once you start do you need to charge it fully? 

I never had any problem unplugging and using at what ever stage it was in.

The last few days (since the update) when I am reading a book and tap the n to bring up the nav bar, I will touch the Home button and it goes orange but does nothing.  I will tap it a few times, each time going orange, but nothing, sometimes if I push it harder it will finally go Home, but sometimes I have to push library and it immediately goes to library and then I tap Home and it will go home.  Anyone else notice this? 

It is one tap to bring up the nav bar, but two taps to return home.

Thank you all for your help....I know it's a lot but I just don't want to shorten the battery life by doing something wrong.

Hope some of this helps.:smileyhappy:

Kristy

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
alchemyfyr
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for all the info.  I love my new gadget and just don't want to do something to break it, lol.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

You can but some users have reported that the screen can act a bit crazy at times if using while plugged in, mine is ok plugged in but has gotten hot once using this way. Also be careful of the plug if using plugged in, do not let it bend at all it is know to break.

Although I have also read at least one report of this on the forum, I have frequenly used it whilst charging and never had any odd behavior at all. The only issue I have with it is the straight connector on the cable so it points right at you. A right angle connector would be ideal.

It is one tap to bring up the nav bar, but two taps to return home

Or, tap the button once, then touch the "home" soft button on screen. OR.... instead of hitting  the 'n' button, in many cases you can back up to home by swiping the status bar at least once with your finger (it does a "back", and the "backmost" location is home).

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

mbratch wrote:

Although I have also read at least one report of this on the forum, I have frequenly used it whilst charging and never had any odd behavior at all. The only issue I have with it is the straight connector on the cable so it points right at you. A right angle connector would be ideal.

It is one tap to bring up the nav bar, but two taps to return home

Or, tap the button once, then touch the "home" soft button on screen. OR.... instead of hitting  the 'n' button, in many cases you can back up to home by swiping the status bar at least once with your finger (it does a "back", and the "backmost" location is home).

You have a gift for repeating things already said.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

geatdanemomDT wrote:

You have a gift for repeating things already said.

Sorry, only very occasionally. But if you look closely, I did add some tidbits to your prior post. I'll try to be more careful in the future, though, especially now that I know that someone's keeping tabs on my posting habits.

Have a lovely day.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mbratch wrote:

[...] Sorry, only very occasionally. But if you look closely, I did add some tidbits to your prior post. I'll try to be more careful in the future, though, especially now that I know that someone's keeping tabs on my posting habits.

At least you know enough to trim replies! Talk about repeating things. :smileyhappy: