Contributor
Tope_the_NOOK_Dope
0 Kudos

AMV Installing

Has anyone had their NOOK Color download AMV? I've had four customers in the store this past week that say, un-prompted, that AMV will install automatically on their device.

Upon further research I found out this this is a "Adobe Magazine Viewer" and it's purpose is to help read magazines such as "Ftness", ""GQ", "Glamour", "Better Home & Garden" etc. Has anyone had this download on their device?

Contributor
Tope_the_NOOK_Dope

Re: AMV Installing

forget it. still not happy though.

Re: Anyone have the app AMV just show up?[ New ]

just talked to store support on the BN.com chat and this is what I was told for that AMV app: 

this is a background update, which is an update for files to open amv format magazines/subscriptions and will support adobe magazine viewer content file formats.   some people will see just a white screen if it opens, the tech team has escalated this tech issue because they know it isn't yet working for some people after restarting or rebooting their devices.    The app will update as they get the issues fixed with it and then it will be an added preloaded app like those that come preloaded on the device.    This may take some time but the tech people are working on these updates.   

mystery solved on the AMV app. 

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
Solutions: 18

It's been HIDING ...

Tope_the_NOOK_Dope wrote:

Has anyone had their NOOK Color download AMV?

It has been on every Nook Color since v1.4.1, and on the Nook Tablet since it was originally released.  It's been hidden until now.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

Thanks for the explanation. I was worried when I saw it but am relieved (and somewhat annoyed at B&N) now.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Does anyone get a proper icon with it? I just get a strange 'AMV' icon. It looks bad and because of the name (AMV) it's right at the top and annoying.

It would be super nice if B&N added the option to hide and/or uninstall the inbuilt apps.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Based on prior comments, it USED to be hidden...

Apparently something was left out of the current update made it visible.

Baron Wulfraed
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wulfraed wrote:

Based on prior comments, it USED to be hidden...

Apparently something was left out of the current update made it visible.

It's probably a setting that B&N can make OTA, to make it visible.

When I recently bought my used Nook Color, the previous owner had deregistered it, and I registered it.  Deregistering is supposed to wipe the B&N data and user data partitions, and leave the system partition untouched.  The only thing that should affect the system partition is installing a new version, or a factory reset (which essentially does the same thing).

Well, the "AMV" app was there, with a greyed icon.  Since the NC had v1.4.2, I updated to v1.4.3 (which also has the AMV.apk file installed in the system partition), and the icon disappeared.  Ever so often, I check to see if it comes back.  So far, it has not.

DeanGibson

5ivedom wrote:

Does anyone get a proper icon with it? I just get a strange 'AMV' icon. It looks bad and because of the name (AMV) it's right at the top and annoying.

It would be super nice if B&N added the option to hide and/or uninstall the inbuilt apps.

Yes, that would be nice, to just hide anything.  Remember the B&N sample cookbook that was part of the v1.2 update in 2011 ???

A free/GPL accounting program I have on my PC (GnuCash) has in most "warning" dialog boxes, a checkbox to click if you don't want to see that warning again.  Then, in the regular menus, it has an option to restore all warnings.  Perfect.

If the Nooks had such an option, one could even make the "unhide" feature require a password.

Of course, this would require an "eBook management system" (kinda like shelves, only much better).

New User
sprocket114
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This app has appeared and now I cannot open any Nook books! All I get is a white screen, regardless of what book I try to open. However, when I rebooted the Nook, it seems to have corrected itself, but the AMF app is reinstalling.....

In addition, if anyone has looked at the details of the AMV app, it states to take any problems to the developer, with an email address of noideaatall@book.com (read as "No Idea At All" @ book.com.) Not very funny, B&N!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's funny in a sad way. No Idea At All.

I doubt the AMV app installing caused the white screen. IT seems that there are certain magazines like GQ and Home & Garden that need that AMV app for them to function properly. And that the app was there all along and just became 'visible'.

New User
td760608
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info
New User
gtggtui

power off your nook, hold down the power button and the home button for about twenty seconds and release, let sit for about 1 min then power on your nook. worked for me icon still there but installing gone. basic reset
Contributor
Fishgirl3

Thanks for taking the time to put this info out on the board. Now we can all stop worrying about the little icon and get back to enjoying our Nooks. :smileywink:

New User
randyk49657
0 Kudos

Me too, I want to know if and how to uninstall it. Some of my other apps are not working since AMV got installed.
Contributor
Book_Addict83
0 Kudos

I'm so glad that I came upon this post. I've been trying to figure out what this app was. 

So there's no way to archive/delete it? Annoying.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Nope.

It was there all-along, a pre-installed app. It was hidden but now it's needed for some magazines so it has been unveiled.

Preinstalled apps can't be deleted or uninstalled, unfortunately.

New User
Thingsmith
0 Kudos

I can understand BN needing to installing hidden apps.  My problem is the contact email address.noideaatall@book.com.  To me this address looks like a hacker type address, I would have expect a real address.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, it's a combination of lots of things.

Strange Name.

Very STrange contact email

No App Icon.

I thought it was an oddity. I can easily see why people thought it was a virus. And a virus on my Nook would be the last thing I'd want. It's such a relief not to have to worry about viruses with Tablets and Phones.

Contributor
bntalk
0 Kudos

I also have this problem, and now to compound the issue none of the new apps I have purchased will download and other apps that I have had installed and working for a long time now just say 'downloading' but never actually download. The chat and tech services told me the only way to fix this is to de-register the device and the re-register it!!! Great if you have hours to individually select each book you own and re-download it!!! This device is a piece of junk. I have had nothing but trouble with the device, the support and the overall design. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom

This is an entirely different issue:

*****now to compound the issue none of the new apps I have purchased will download and other apps that I have had installed and working for a long time now just say 'downloading' but never actually download.

It shouldn't be related to AMV.

Please let us know what else you did before you got this problem.

Also, do all your apps not work, or just a few?