Frequent Contributor
XRaiderV1
0 Kudos

Re: AMV Installing

I was able to download a bunch of random free apps and books, so I can verify its not the amv app thats causing his problem.

Murphy's law, according to Danial Jackson of stargate sg-1:
1- ‘Murphy's law said: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.’
2- ‘And Jackson’s law said: Anything that cannot go wrong will always go wrong.’
Contributor
jathanasie
0 Kudos

me too
jeannie
Contributor
jathanasie
0 Kudos

No icon - I thought my nook had been hacked! Since it said the developer was barnes and noble I came right to the community to see if anyone else had the same issue. Ridiculous!
jeannie
Contributor
jathanasie
0 Kudos

I used to subscribe to Home and Garden & in the past month, i've been getting emails to re-subscribe. Hmmm....
jeannie
Contributor
jathanasie
0 Kudos

I'm right there with you.
jeannie
New User
TheDwarfKing

Nice to hear that it's an app and not a hack!

Since it launches as a solid white screen I can use it as a flashlight!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's a good idea. AMV Flashlight!

Inspired Correspondent
EarthTiger13
0 Kudos

This isn't the only one. I had Twitter install itself on my NC as well. I don't use Twitter, never have and never will. I don't want it.

[singing] The wonderful thing about tiggers / Is tiggers are wonderful things / Their tops are made out of rubber / Their bottoms are made out of springs / They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun, fun, fun, fun, fun / But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one / IIIII'm the only one! [growls] ~ Tigger
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, it seems a Twitter App and a Facebook App are new unwelcome guests on our Nooks.

Frequent Contributor
XRaiderV1
0 Kudos

I've got twitter...stuck on installing.

so, I reset my nook. got rid of the amv app, but twitter's still stuck on installing. its slowing the launch of other apps but doesnt appear to otherwise be causing a problem.

I will also note my animate page turn settings(I unchecked it to disable that) appear to be disregarded on shutdown.

2- ‘And Jackson’s law said: Anything that cannot go wrong will always go wrong.’
New User
MyReviews95
0 Kudos

I just tried e-mailing the developer. The email didn't go through.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Do you mean the contact email in AMV app. That's someone's idea of a joke.

The AMV app is just a hidden app that's now been revealed.

Frequent Contributor
XRaiderV1
0 Kudos

reset to factory specs seems to fix it.

New User
queenieolson
0 Kudos

I have this same problem and here it is 2013.  I see the past response was from 2011.  This app mysteriously appeared on my screen a few months ago and when trying to open the screen is just white and nothing happens. 

If it is an issue they are trying to resolve -- shouldnt they have fixed this by now? it is April 2013?   I am frustrated with my Nook and features.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Queenie

This issue only happened in 2013. Not sure where you see posts from 2011.

This is an app that has always been on Nook. It's needed to read some magazines. AMV = Adobe Magazine Viewer.

The only thing B&N did is make it visible.

It's not harmful.

I don't think it's supposed to do anything when you open it.

If it's stuck on installing then it's a problem. However, in other cases, based on what B&N people have shared here, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to. Helping MAgazines get read.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady

AMV, Facebook, Twitter &, now, Spotify have shown up unannounced & taking up space. I tried to archive them but they won't go away. I did finally get rid of Overdrive (which I never asked for either). This worked for a while but stopped & now I'm just sideload my library books as in the past. Frankly, this "robo-downloading" is invasive & there should be a way of getting rid of these items if you don't want them. 

Frequent Contributor
XRaiderV1

agreed, we didnt ask for these things.

they're available in the app store, if we wanted them.. 30 seconds and done. no need to force them down our throats.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Agreed 100%.

B&N should make it an optional update and definitely not an in-the-background silent update.

I'm one of the apparently 'rare' people who don't have any desire to tweet or instagram my lunch or share with my friends in facebook that there's a violet bird on my window sill.

It's strange when companies assume that EVERYONE wants this stuff.

Of course, it's nowhere as annoying as a website that ONLY has Facebook logins.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

B&N: please visit the planet WE are on

seacitylady wrote:

... Frankly, this "robo-downloading" is invasive & there should be a way of getting rid of these items if you don't want them. 

There is;  it's called voting with your feet.  Unless you are a big fan of high-resolution media on a small device, there is really no reason to buy a color Nook.  There used to be, and perhaps there will be in the future, but presently, it's just too much of a nuisance.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Contributor
CarmelaM

I'm having the same problem of AMV and Twitter constantly installing and it's draining my battery. I don't care if the apps are there; I just want them to finish installing and be done with it. I went into my local BN store. They didn't know what to do and called Nook support. Mary, the support person, told me the only fix was to "erase and deregister" my Nook Color. However, all my shelf assignments would be lost, as would any notes I made in my books. Since I have over 100 books, many with notes and highlighting, this is not a satisfactory option for me. I told her BN should come up with a fix that would not require any work on my part, since they created the problem--I didn't. I'm very unhappy right now.