New User
Jamie_S
0 Kudos

Adobe Flash Player

I downloaded the update last month for the Adobe Flash Player to be able to supposedly watch videos on my Nook Color but it still doesn't work.  It says it downloaded and it was completed but when I try to open a video, it tells me to download the most current Adobe.  I do every time and it still doesn't work.  Any advice??  Thanks!

Inspired Contributor
slic2007

Re: Adobe Flash Player

You can't upgrade the flash player (because you can't install software on an NC).  Sorry but, you'll have to wait [like the rest of us] for BN to put out a new firmware update for the NC that supports the latest flash.  If they don't, I'm betting a lot of people will root their nook.

New User
Jamie_S

Well shoot...apparently the people at my store didn't know the answer so they just made one up to make me happy :smileyhappy:  Thanks for letting me know!!  I'll quit being frustrated about it!

Frequent Contributor
cssathya
0 Kudos

To clarify, even 'rooting' the current version of Nook Color will not help in adding Flash support because the underlying OS Version (Android 2.1 - Eclair) does not support Flash. You have essentially root AND upgrade to a newer image based on FroYo (2.2) or HoneyComb (3.0), which are both in fairly experimental stages at this point.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Actually if you root the Nook Color and download the Skyfire web browser, that browser has limited Flash support built in....so that, for instance, you're able to watch the regular Youtube videos in that browser.

Inspired Contributor
gogirlEH
0 Kudos

Will it then support Netflix?
Contributor
nickyntiff
0 Kudos

is barnes and nobles going to come out with an app store? will there be a new update where we csn watch flash videos?
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

The mid-April update is supposed to provide for Flash support and give us access to an app store...some are throwing around a date of April 15 for the wifi update roll out. I have fingers crossed, heels clicking...
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

gogirlEH wrote:
Will it then support Netflix?

No, Netflix does not currently run on any Android OS, not because it can't but because of security (or so they say) and other legal issues.

Contributor
nickyntiff
0 Kudos

no as of now, it doesn't support netflix. april 15 is just around the corner. has bn confimed this Update?
Contributor
Reality4U
0 Kudos

I don't know where you're placing your bet, but I would like some of that myself. I spoke to a B&N rep today and he said "be patient - sometime this month. B&N has listened to their customers". We'll see.....:smileywink: :smileywink: nudge nudge. 

Contributor
nickyntiff
0 Kudos

I also did as well and got the same response. However, they didn't give me any sort of time frame. I would expect that they know something about this upcoming update if its supposedly coming out this month.

Contributor
BuckUp
0 Kudos

nickyntiff wrote:

I also did as well and got the same response. However, they didn't give me any sort of time frame. I would expect that they know something about this upcoming update if its supposedly coming out this month.

I think they are just blowing smoke.  I purchased 2 in December and they said at that time there was an upgrade coming....???? But here it is in mid April and still just sayin....  Hey we bought them and they don't have to do diddly...  Guess I will just keep reading and wishing I had an iPad ;-}

Contributor
nooky56
0 Kudos

All indications are that the update will be here shortly and I am getting a little tired of everyone complaining about it not being here yet.  They are only 2-3 weeks behind what they originally promised and most people who hire a contractor to build a house would be elated about only being that far behind.  When you bought the Nookcolor you knew what you were getting and it does a whole lot more than any other reader out there.  If you wanted an ipad then empty your wallet and get one but, as for me I feel I got at least if not more than I paid for.  So just shut up the whining and get a life that consists of more than watching the bn website for an update that will get here when it gets here and remember that for what you paid even without the update you got a dam good deal unless of course you bought it through HSN and then well, sorry guys.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Autonooter or monster root pack it - get the Android Marketplace and keep the e-reader features.

Et voila, you have quite a bit of what may or may not be available later this month.  Me, I'm hoping that better flash support will be on offer, but will simply roll back to a backup of the rooted state if it's not on offer. 

Maybe I should offer a rooting session at my local Barnes and Noble?  (Emeryville, CA;  people can PM me if there's interest.)

I'm no longer thinking that Honeycomb will be forthcoming - when I've run it on my nook, the performance hasn't been that good. 

It'd be nice if bluetooth was enabled in the update, though.  If it's not, I may just abandon ship and do the (a bit more challenging to roll back from, because you need more than one big SD card to roll back with, as I see the process) Cyanogen upgrade route. 

I think one reason BN isn't flipping on a lot of these switches is that they can't support users who convert to full Android functionality.  Their helpdesk and training are focused on what the Nook is designed to do, and offering a full tablet OS would probably swamp their helpdesk. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
KapSukdulan
0 Kudos

the new update will be called "barry allen". ironically it will be available on winter..

NOOK for China iPad rip-off
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

KapSukdulan wrote:

the new update will be called "barry allen". ironically it will be available on winter..

This is your brain on drugs.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
dbradt
0 Kudos

According to their current website,9-30-11, and yet I don't have it on my Nook Color and I have the current software version 1.3

Enhanced Web Experience with Video in Adobe® Flash® Player

NOOK Color brings you even more of the web with an enhanced mobile experience. Watch videos on many of your favorite websites like YouTube® and enjoy some of the most interactive and animated content the Internet has to offer now with Adobe® Flash® Player*.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

dbradt wrote:

According to their current website,9-30-11, and yet I don't have it on my Nook Color and I have the current software version 1.3

Yes - you do have Flash. Flash came out with the 1.2 update in April. Make sure your web browser is not set to mobile.

New User
FantasysChild
0 Kudos

Try going into your library and find the downloaded file there (Hint bottom list in library) .  When you find it open it up and is should install it on your unit.  Then it should work.  Good luck.