Contributor
ts_hunter
0 Kudos

Apps will not download and install on Nook Color

Nook Color running on version 1.4.3 with 560MB availble B&N storage, and 5 Gb of other storage availalbe. 

Last weekend I got an app and it would start the download, then flash 'installing' and then go back to download again.   I tried to archive, power off, un-archive and nothing would work.   I finally re-registered the device and then the app would download.

Now this weekend, a different app and the same thing is happening.   I went to the local B&N store and they had not idea what to do and said I should re-register again.   

Is this a common problem?   Is there a better work around than reregistering every time?   All game progress gets lost when we do this.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Apps will not download and install on Nook Color

Re-registering is not the best way.

1) Archive some apps you aren't using. Note: Archiving also deletes game progress, so don't archive apps where you have game progress.

2) Restart Nook.

3) Now re-download.

Also get the App Killer App and see if you have any strange apps running.

Finally, that figure of 560 MB available B&N storage might not be accurate. Do you still get it after restarting?

Reader 2
ccuster
0 Kudos

This is a very common problem and as a matter of fact this is the one thing that is stopping me from purchasing the Nook Tablet HD+.  And unfortunately it's something that is not as easy as just archiving and redownloading.  I have tried this several times with about 5 of my apps and it doesn't seem to be working.  The best way to solve this is to go online and log in and archive them online, then shut off your NC and turn it back on and try to redownload them on the NC.  Hopefully this will help you.  I still have about 4 apps that still won't download even after doing this.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ts_hunter wrote:

Nook Color running on version 1.4.3 with 560MB availble B&N storage, and 5 Gb of other storage availalbe. 

Last weekend I got an app and it would start the download, then flash 'installing' and then go back to download again.   I tried to archive, power off, un-archive and nothing would work.   I finally re-registered the device and then the app would download.

Now this weekend, a different app and the same thing is happening.   I went to the local B&N store and they had not idea what to do and said I should re-register again.   

Is this a common problem?   Is there a better work around than reregistering every time?   All game progress gets lost when we do this.

If you have only 560 MB B&N storage that means you have one of the old NC's, with only 1 GB for apps. Any B&N store can repartion your NC for you. That way you will have 5 GB for B&N storage (including apps), and 1 GB other storage for sideloading.

Edit: Your B&N store should have recognized a common problem like this.

Inspired Contributor
BayLido
0 Kudos

I had that happen when I tried to download the latest Free Friday app . I realized later that the app wasn't compatible with the NookColor.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

CCuster, regarding this:

this is the one thing that is stopping me from purchasing the Nook Tablet HD+.

This is very unlikely to happen on HD+ because HD+ allocates half of available memory to Storage for b&N Content.

That means instead of having just 1 GB storage for Apps (like Color) the HD+ has somthing like 5 GB for the 16 GB model and something like 12 GB for the 32 GB model.

So far less of a chance of filling up the space and getting this issue.

There's a very rare chance you'll get download issues due to other reasons.

Reader 4
kas91

I had the exact same problem last year.  Not knowing what to do I went to my local B&N store to ask for help.  I was told the only way to solve the problem was to erase and deregister.  Well that's what the guy did in the store and it worked but now 6 month later I have the exact same problem.  Memory is 500mb free on the primary and 95% free on secondary.  I never have a problem downloading books or mags only apps.  I've tried the archive and reboot shuffle but that doesn't work.  At this point I've stopped purchasing apps and I don't hit the update button because I know the app will get 'stuck'.  I have to ask my self - Since I don't get full use out of this device why do I have it?

Just a hint.  My wife has a Kindle Fire and she never complains about having any problems downloading apps.  I'm thinking about dumping my Nook.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

kas91,

what does this mean?

Memory is 500mb free on the primary and 95% free on secondary.

In your settings you can go to Device Information and look at 'Storage for B&N Content'. That's the only line that matters.

That must be filled up.

There's also a slight chance that the last app your tried to install (the first one that failed to install) or the last one that successfully installed - messed up the installer.

Get the App Killer App and uninstall these two apps. Then restart.

Finally, the size of the apps you archive has to be greater than or equal to the size of the new app you are trying to install.

And you can archive large photobooks etc. to create space. It doesn't have to be just apps.