New User
birdier
0 Kudos

Are Nook books condensed

Just got a new release book for my nook.  The hardcover has 760+ pages and the one I downloaded shows only 511.  Are the books condensed or edited in any way or is the paging just set up differently?  I would like to be getting the whole book.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana

Re: Are Nook books condensed

I know some Google eBooks are scanned, so the page numbers match. I thought I had heard that Amazon was going to start doing the same. I have no idea what B&N does since I've never purchased an eBook from them. I do not think your book has been condensed, however. Just paging variations.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

The books are not condensed, don't worry about that.  If they were they would say "abridged" in the title or description.  Don't forget that the book files are actually produced by the publisher/authors themselves, so you are getting the "official" version.

The EPUB file output, depending on how it was formatted in the first place, may or may not have the exact same page format as a paper version.  Books with annotations and such might keep the same paging, where fare like fiction may just not be that reliant on "true" page numbers.

Long story short (too late)  don't worry about the page numbers in comparison to paper  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Schwa wrote:

The books are not condensed, don't worry about that.  If they were they would say "abridged" in the title or description.  Don't forget that the book files are actually produced by the publisher/authors themselves, so you are getting the "official" version.

The EPUB file output, depending on how it was formatted in the first place, may or may not have the exact same page format as a paper version.  Books with annotations and such might keep the same paging, where fare like fiction may just not be that reliant on "true" page numbers.

Long story short (too late)  don't worry about the page numbers in comparison to paper  :smileyhappy:

It is pretty common with paper books for different editions to have different pagination due to matters such as paper size and fonts.  Sometimes a school or university teacher will require every student in a class to buy the same cheap paperback edition of a classic so the teacher can say "everybody please turn to page 113."  Other instructors have given up trying to make everybody use the same edition and say things like "please find the railway train scene near the end of Chapter Five" then wait a few minutes for everybody to find the relevant passage.  Of course for a few especially well-studied works like Shakespeare plays or the Bible we have standard numbering systems that everybody uses.

PS: Since I invented my example scene, I'll give Laurels to anybody who can find an actual famous novel with a railway scene near the end of its fifth chapter:smileytongue:

Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

One caveat here is that there are some heavily illustrated books that are more condensed in ebook form. Going forward this practice may be changing, but is because some illustrations have been removed. This is presumably more common with older books because the rights and usage of illustrations is different from text. Digital images retain their quality and are more "acceptable" to pirate than an image scanned from a dtb. So, it can be more expensive or even impossible to secure the rights for use in a digital edition. Publishers have also been remiss in noting any such deletions within descriptions. However, text only books do state if the book is abridged.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Correspondent
ukscone
0 Kudos

PS: Since I invented my example scene, I'll give Laurels to anybody who can find an actual famous novel with a railway scene near the end of its fifth chapter:smileytongue:

just guesses and i'll have three of them but

Dr. Zhivago

War and Peace

Harry Potter and the .... :smileyhappy: