New User
Ms2327
0 Kudos

Auto downloads

I am experiencing 3 app downloads without permission.  I have done no updates and there are no updates available.  The downloads are Twitter, which I don't use, AMV, which I don't need, and Woodwing, which I also don't need.  There are in a continuous state of download.  I want the download to stop and I want to delete these apps.  How did they get there when they are not a part of my apps list on B & N? How are you able to upload app/software without the users permission?

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Re: Auto downloads

These apps were sent out to all NC/NT users. AMV and Woodwing are both used (in the background) for viewing certain magazines. You may be able to temporarily uninstall them, but it wont be permanent. (As soon as you power down & up again, they seem to reappear.)

To get them to stop downloading, try soft rest. (Hold power button down, keep holding down when popup box appears, until device turns off. Wait 15 seconds, turn device back on.) See if that helps. 

(Note: If remember correctly, even when twitter is done downloading, "installing" banner continues to incorrectly appear across the icon. As long as you can download books and such, its done. But banner will remain.)

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What NookGardener wrote.

You can't really stop them from downloading i.e. you can do reset and hope it fixes the issue. However, it can restart on a future restart.

Twitter is most problematic as it installs and then runs in the background.

These are system apps so not removable. You can get App Killer and stop Twitter from running. However, on restart it'll again start and you'll have to stop it again.

New User
Luvtoread63
0 Kudos

Samething has happened to me, twitter keeps showing installing and also I cannot download any new apps. Cannot even download app killer to try and get rid of it.  I am very upset, ready to just sell this nook color and buy another known brand e-reader and it will not be a NOOK! 

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Luvtoread63 wrote:

Samething has happened to me, twitter keeps showing installing and also I cannot download any new apps. Cannot even download app killer to try and get rid of it.  I am very upset, ready to just sell this nook color and buy another known brand e-reader and it will not be a NOOK! 

Almost every tablet out there has system apps installed that you can't uninstall, so do some investigation before you buy.  My phone has apps on it I will never use and can't uninstall or hide.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

I think luvtoread63's more upset at not being able to download other apps BECAUSE Twitter is stuck perpetually downloading than the fact that it can't be removed. That is NOT normal. I'd suggest visiting a B&N for some assistance.