Contributor
brucet
0 Kudos

Battery is flat flat

Yesterday I put my Nook down and it had 91% battery. This morning it wont power up because the battery is flat. Why would it go flat with nothing being used? I have sound and WiFi turned OFF.

Thanks

ps I got the lastest up grade installed at a BnN store just last week.

Contributor
brucet
0 Kudos

Re: Battery is flat flat

Just a follow note. I have found that you can accidentely hit the sound buttons. I have mine on mute all the time. But if you acidentially hit the + volume switch it turns the sound back on. I'm then assuming with the sound on that the battery will leak down.

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

I recommend that you search this forum for "Your App Manager" others have found this utility useful for turning off Apps that do not turn themselves off when exited.

Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

I've had my nook color since the first came out and haven't noticed that having the sound on causes the battery to drain more quickly. In fact, I leave the volume up all the time and rarely have turned it off - rarely pay much attention to it.  More likely it's an app.  I use "Your App Manager" too and find it helpful.

Contributor
brucet
0 Kudos

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that the Nook is a LEMON. My battery was at 97% at 9pm last night. Without touching it, (sound and WiFi turned off), it was at 87% at 9am this mornig. At 3pm it had dropped to 23%. It has just sat there all day. A 10% drop in 12 hours. A massive drop in the next 6 hours.

No matter what I try the battery/power consumption makes the Nook completely un reliable.

You don't buy a Nook to be tethered to a power outlet.

BnN need to get their act together or the word will soon be out there not to buy one.

Contributor
LisaK27
0 Kudos

It's possible that one of your apps was running in the background of your nook. Not all of them actually end when you hit the 'n' button to exit. These will drain the battery quickly. The best way to determine this is to charge your nook fully, then turn it off then on, and leave it overnight. Check the battery again in the morning and see what the battery drain is. 

You can also download an app manager from the app store and that will tell you what is running at all times and allow you to exit when you want. 

Read Forever
Contributor
brucet
0 Kudos

The only app I have installed is Office Suite Professional. I haven't used it for several days. In that time I have turned the Nook OFF, (not to sleep), several times.

So why the drain of just 10% overnight but 50% in half that time during the day?

I like the Nook but this battery issue is getting the better of me.

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
whiteoakBR
0 Kudos

I have noticed a problem with the "charging" icon.  It happens very seldom but when it does the charge drops radically over a short period of time.  What I see is that the NookColor is not plugged in but the icon is showing that it is charging (if I don't see it quickly that part of the case warms up).  The only way to stop the blinking icon is to completely turn the NC off and then back on.  This difficulty has been around (and noted on these boards) for over 6 months.  Besides these episodes my battery charge takes me through most days of use, the only time I have to plug the NC in during the day is if I have been reading for 7+ hours plus some websurfing.  I don't turn my sound down and I have a number of apps installed.  Good luck with your NC.

Contributor
LisaK27
0 Kudos

A few questions for you: 1) Were you using it at all during the day, and if so what where you doing? (Reading, web surfing, etc). 2)Where you in different location during the day? Was your wi-fi turned on? The reason I ask these things is because doing different things drains the battery at different rates. Watching videos, playing games, and web surfing drain the battery quicker than reading. Having the wi-fi turned on will drain the battery quickly. Also different wi-fi connections can drain the battery differently. Something that is secure and stable will maintain a longer battery life than somethin that disconnects and reconnects often. However, if you were leaving it in the exact place doing the exact same thing, your nook is probably faulty. Take it to a store and get it replaced.
Read Forever
Contributor
brucet

OK here's what I'm doing.

I charge the Nook up before I go to bed. When it's 100% I unplug it and leave it over night. I DONOT turn it off but let it go to sleep. In the morning I touch the n button and read the battery levels. (Sometimes the icon and the settings readings are different). In the morning it will read 99%. Then I put it down in the same place an DONOT use it. Mid morning, lunch time, mid afternood and evening I check it again. Agian I DONOT use it. Then I check it again in the morning. By the second morning it may be down to 83-85%. Then for no reason it will drop to 25% or even 17% and refuse to turn on. I can't get 3 days of full battery even without using the Nook. At the moment the Nook is unusable.

I'm looking at either returning it to a BnN store. (I travel and aren't always near a BnN store). I'm going to Apple or Amazon.

As far as I'm concerned BnN have a real problem. I would never buy another one.

Contributor
brucet
0 Kudos

An update. I took my Nook back to BnN and they replaced it without batting an eye. It was too easy. So let's see what happens with this one.

At least I have confidence in BnN's customer service.

New User
sis_popova
0 Kudos

I have the same problem. Last week the update to 1.4.2 installed on my NC and since then, the battery charge life has been much shorter than it had been previously.  Now it's down to about 2 and one half hours on a 100 percent charge.

How can I downgrade the software version, because with previously - everything was OK?!?

Contributor
brucet
0 Kudos

BnN replaced my Nook. It had 1.4.2 on it. The new one had 1.3 on it and they upgraded it to 1.4.2. So far this unit is work just fine.

I'm not sure if it's the new software or not. Both my Nooks had/have 1.4.2 on them and the new one hasn't any issues.

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

My NC is over a year old. I have always had to recharge it after 4hours of continuous use. That's when it gets below 20% charge. Recently I have found it now discharges excessively when in sleep mode or when powered down with 94% charge. When I turn back it on it may only have 84% or 72% charge. I found several apps are automatically turned on everytime I turn on the NC and they use up battery. Apparently they also use up battery when the NC is either asleep or powered down. I have to try to remember to manually STOP these power-eating apps every  time I use the NC!

Reader 4
Memon
0 Kudos

Please tell me (1) how do you manually stop an ap?  (2) what type of apps are power eaters?

thank you!

Science Teacher