Contributor
chellenj
0 Kudos

Book covers not appearing on nook color

I imported a few of the books that I already had on my computer into my Nook Color.  The cover does not appear on the shelf in the library, but when you click on the book, the first page is the cover of the book.  Does anyone know how to make the cover show up on the shelf?  Thank you!

Inspired Correspondent
seescribe
0 Kudos

Re: Book covers not appearing on nook color

I have had this happen also. What I did was a soft reset (I think that is what they call it) That is when you hold the power button for 5 seconds (hold it until it shuts off basically) Then you turn it back on by holding the power button for 2 seconds. When I did that, the covers showed back up. Not sure if it will work for you, but it won't hurt to try.
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

We are working on getting more sideloaded covers to show in library.

Contributor
nookfan2480
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Are you also working on removing the 2700 book limit that prevents any books from appearing when more than 2700 books are in main memory?  Sorry to hijack this post, but email technical support from B&N keep responding with not useful suggestions - like telling me how to archive books or restting the device -- niether are helping, of course.

Inspired Correspondent
leday
0 Kudos

Until this is fixed on BN end (and I hope it will be soon...), please see this link for a workaround that actually works:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1255486#post1255486

The road goes ever on.....
Contributor
chellenj
0 Kudos

leday...wow that seems like a lot of work.  maybe i'll just wait until bn can fix this problem.

Inspired Correspondent
leday
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I suppose some could consider it a lot of work, but it only takes me a minute or two or three to do for each book I download (now that I have my 350+ collection all "caught up" so to speak) so it doesn't bother me too much and I know it works cosistently.  It's not really a whole lot of steps as it seems (resave the file, reconvert it, make sure the jpg file is there and add the proper line to the opf file and voila!).  I want to be able to see ALL my covers now, so this fix works for me.  It is a workaround, not a permanent fix as BN is working on, so some steps are implied.  Maybe BN can get some constructive ideas for THEIR fix from that thread?? 

The road goes ever on.....
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

chellenj wrote:

leday...wow that seems like a lot of work.  maybe i'll just wait until bn can fix this problem.

All you have to do for the most part (ignore the Sigil reference) is if the ebook has no DRM:

• Add it to Calibre (you will convert to epub even if it is already an epub).
  • Don't worry about all that .opf stuff (I have converted 46 ebooks this way to have the covers show up)
  • Select the ebooks individually.
  • Hit the convert button and make sure you convert them individually-also make sure epub is the filetype chosen to convert to.
  • You will then look under where the picture is and it should say something like change the cover picture.  Next to this is a button to browse for the cover.  You will go to your Calibre Library and to that book and look for the .jpg or .png cover image.  If there is none (like when you create your own ebook), you can download the cover image for that ebook from sites that sell the book or insert your own image.  Choose the image.
  • Then select convert.  Afterwards, I don't use Calibre to load the book to my NOOKcolor, I just drag and drop the epub from my Calibre Library.

As I said this has always worked for me.  Some epubs have been created in non-standard ways and Calibre kind of cleans them up.

If the ebooks have been DRMed, that's another issue entirely since Calibre won't open DRMed books.

And for the record, I have had to use Calibre to fix content I have created or edited in Sigil.  Sigil will save as an epub, but some errors such as missing covers do crop up if I just drag and drop something created with Sigil.

If on the off chance this does not work, you can find the opf files in your Calibre Library.  For further reference, you can also take a look at an epub's files, by changing the epub extension to .zip and extracting it.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Reader 4
marksmind
0 Kudos

Thank you - works for me.