Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

Bookmark Funny Business!!??

There is this particular Epub book that I have sideloaded . . . I'm on page 114, let's say . . . I bookmark the page and go to read something else. Later, I might select the book from one of my shelves and it appears that I never bookmarked that page. In fact, the bookmarks that remain in the list are from a few days ago. (Due to my busy household, I rarely get to read for a long period without interruption so I may have several bookmarks in just a day or two) This bookmark list simply does not include the last page that I marked!

Here's the Funny Business:

If I return to the book from the "More" list at the top-right of the Home screen, I am brought to the book cover image. When I bring up the blue "Content" menu, I have all of the latest bookmarks!

I've checked . . . the book is in there only once . . . a restart does not change this behavior . . . this seems to be the only book that is effected.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

Re: Bookmark Funny Business!!??

46 views and not one comment or suggestion? Not even from a Moderator??

Nook Color Wallpapers
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

NookonErik wrote:

46 views and not one comment or suggestion? Not even from a Moderator??

I don't have a NookColor and I don't bookmark when I stop reading a book.  What happens when you leave the book without bookmarking?  Don't you come back to the same page when you open the book again?  Or is there another reason you're bookmarking?

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

Thanks for enguaging this thread!

If I leave and go to one of the apps, I can go back to where I left off.

If I open another book, then I have to return to the first book using one of the methods I described, right? This is where it gets funny . . .

Hmm... Should I infer from your post that I don't have to use the bookmark feature to return to my last page? Therefore bookmarks are ment to serve a useful purpose other than returning to the LAST PAGE read??

Nook Color Wallpapers
Reader 4
Misha113
0 Kudos

The bookmark doesn't actually work like a traditional bookmark.  It's more useful as a way to mark a page you might want to reference again later...maybe a quote, or something thought provoking.  All you should have to do to return to the last page you read is select and open the book again.  Even if it's not in your "recently read" menu it should open up to where you left off.

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

Well I tested this book. If I don't leave a bookmark my NC does not know were I left off.

Therefore the only way I can get back to my page with this particular book is to Bookmark it and return to it from the Keep Reading>More dropdown menu on the Homepage.

Granted, it's an Epub file that my brother sent to me. I have no idea what it's origin is, so maybe there's something in the file that prevents the NC from storing my last page location correctly.

I'm thinking that I could use Calibre to open and re-write this Epub file. That is to say "convert from Epub to Epub". Considering that Calibre has the "Nook Color" device setting, maybe there's some data fields that get coded in the data . . .

Nook Color Wallpapers
Correspondent
AnnaKuz
0 Kudos

Interesting! I really do not use bookmarks to go back to last page read. When I read a series, I often return to an earlier book to check something (using the search feature) and when I go back to the book I am currently reading, the book opens on the correct page. I have several sideloaded ePub books and ePubs converted from PDFs (via calibre) and have never had the problem you describe.

What bugs me about the bookmarks (and notes and hightligts) is that you have to remove all (or none) - I have posted this under feaure requests.

I must admit that your origininal posting was a bit hard to follow, I think posting issues could be better stated in a bulleted list rather than a paragraph, especially when there are different scenarios involved.

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

Thank you for the feedback . . .

This writing thing is so hard! I'd rather read!

:smileywink:

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I always bookmark before closing my book. I guess it's a habit I started when I first purchased my NC. I never tried just closing my book.

I use my bookmark as a traditional bookmark on a paper book. I just assumed why have it, if it's useless.

Correspondent
AnnaKuz
0 Kudos

I think the purpose of the bookmark is that when you reada passage that you want to get back to later, you book mark it.

The NC remembers the last page you were on in any book, regardless of how many other books or files you have opened before you go back to your original book.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

AnnaKuz wrote:

I think the purpose of the bookmark is that when you reada passage that you want to get back to later, you book mark it.

The NC remembers the last page you were on in any book, regardless of how many other books or files you have opened before you go back to your original book.

Anna I never knew that. So I can read 3 books at one time, and no matter which one I open to read, the last page will appear.

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

I just read this thread for the first time.  I am surprised no one answered you earlier.   You really don't need to use the bookmark.  when I finish with reading for a while I either put the NC to sleep or let it go there on it's own.  When next I open it and go to my book it starts me off on the page I left off.  I have only had 1 book that wouldn't open where is should and it kept going back to the front cover of the book no matter what page I was on and then I did use the bookmark to save my place.  I hope this helps.

Inspired Correspondent
pen_name19
0 Kudos

AnnaKuz wrote:

What bugs me about the bookmarks (and notes and hightligts) is that you have to remove all (or none) - I have posted this under feaure requests.

• On my NC, am able to remove individual bookmarks and notes/highlights. Tap on existing bookmark, it disappears. Tap on existing note/highlight, it pops-up a dialog window asking what to do; one option is remove note or remove highlight.
    --bye
  • Correspondent
    AnnaKuz
    0 Kudos

Yes, but you have to go the the actual highlite/note/bookmark individually - I think it would be great to be able to do that from the Contents tab (the blue menu bar).

Inspired Correspondent
    pen_name19
    0 Kudos

AnnaKuz wrote:

Yes, but you have to go the the actual highlite/note/bookmark individually - I think it would be great to be able to do that from the Contents tab (the blue menu bar).

• It would also be great if bookmarks were sorted by page number, instead of order-added.
    --bye
  • Inspired Correspondent
    leday
    0 Kudos

AnnaKuz wrote:

yeah, that last page remembered feature is great.  However, on my NC, I have found that the different ways of opening your book (i.e. from the Library, from the open-book icon on, or from the "more books" on the home screen) do not always sync with each other for bookmarks or "last page read".  For example, if I stop reading a book at page 25, it will depend on how I opened the book in the first place to get back to page 25 to continue reading.  If I had originally opened the book from the Library view before I stopped reading, it will only go back to page 25 if I open the book again in Library view, while if I open it any other way it will go back to page 1.  Has anybody else experienced this?

The road goes ever on.....
    Distinguished Wordsmith
    NookonErik
    0 Kudos

What you describe above is akin to what I was experiencing in my original post.

Only that the Bookmark list was different depending on how I re-opened the book!

Nook Color Wallpapers
    Correspondent
    AnnaKuz
    0 Kudos

I open my books from different places too - and I have never had them open on the "wrong" page - could it be that the bookmarks are the culprit? I really do not use bookmarks much, at least not in the fiction books I tend to read most.

Contributor
    nooklear
    0 Kudos

I saw the same "funny business" and posted about this on the Mobileread Nook Forum. I'm surprised more people haven't noticed this.

New User
    tester_wkl
    0 Kudos

pen_name19 wrote:

AnnaKuz wrote:

• It would also be great if bookmarks were sorted by page number, instead of order-added.
    --bye

•  

Possibly better...provide options for both...also allow naming a bookmark, otherwise when looking at the bookmark in the popup, it often doesn't help in remembering why you marked the page w/ a bookmark in the first place. And if you can't remember why, you can't go to the right bookmark (w/o possibly trying several).

Also, I'd strongly consider changing the popup dialog itself -- when you have a lot of bookmarks (altho this is much more of a problem w/ highlights and notes), it's a real pain to have to scroll via finger swipe...change the interface to allow an actual scrollbar that can be dragged. it'd be much faster.