Reply
Contributor
Jpc87
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎03-16-2011
0 Kudos

Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

I thought that I was fortunate; I got a Nook for Christmas, as it was a gift from my mother. However, this perceived good fortune was only an illusion. Shortly after receiving my Nook the touch screen went bonkers. I can’t use it for anything but a paperweight now. I contacted customer service but that has proven to be a wasted venture. You see, B&N has an inexplicably short return period of 14 days for the Nook Color, this makes sense when considering someone can read a book and return it in 14 days, but having only a 2 week return period for an electronic device is insane, especially for a first generation color e-reader.

When your Nook “goes down” you are left with the option of receiving a “canned” E-mail response detailing the return policy or the privilege of wasting your time talking to a call center in India, I got to speak to “Larry,” who had a good demeanor but was effectively useless in resolving my problem with his thick Hindi or Marathi accent.  

Now, I know that there are many of you out there that are perfectly happy with you purchase of a NOOK Color, and to you I say Congratulations. Just know that if you ever have trouble with your Nook you are in for trouble.  

If my only option, in 4-6 weeks, is receiving a replacement please know that it is for sale, and if you have read this and are still interested feel free to contact me, after all I have heard that you can hack the Nook to make it a fully functioning tablet and even purchase Kindle books on it.

-Jeff



Distinguished Correspondent
bestem
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎01-30-2011

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

 


Jpc87 wrote:

You see, B&N has an inexplicably short return period of 14 days for the Nook Color, this makes sense when considering someone can read a book and return it in 14 days, but having only a 2 week return period for an electronic device is insane, 


 

I work for a place that sells electronics, computers, etc.  We have a 14 day policy on all of our electronics.  What's more, if the item is electronics, and has been opened, it can only be exchanged (not necessarily for that item, but for something else in the store).  Our closest competitors have similar return policy's on their electronics, if not ones that are exactly the same. We require the receipt for the return or exchange on all electronic items as well, and do not accept statements from the credit card company, or anything else, in lieu of the receipt.

 

I did look at Best Buy's website, who sell more electronics than my store does, and they have 14 day return policy's on some of their electronics, including iPads and Tablets, which the NookColor is much more like than most eReaders, so I'm not sure whether they'd consider it a Tablet or an eReader for their return policy.

 

It's interesting that you think a 2 week return period for an electronic device is insane, when it's actually fairly standard at many places that sell electronics. 

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
Posts: 178
Registered: ‎10-28-2010

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

Jeff,

 

Have you bothered to search the boards here to see if anyone is having similar problems?  There are lots of documented touchscreen issues with many solutions posted, but we would need more info about what is happening in order to help you.

 

The only thing you state is that your screen goes "bonkers", and that can mean a lot of different things. The screen on the NC is ultrasensitive, which is a good thing when you are reading a book and want to turn the page without having to touch the screen very hard.  One normal problem with this is that because of how sensitive the screen is, if it gets dust on it, that can cause it to go "bonkers" as you call it.  I keep a microfiber cloth in my nook cover and wipe the screen off every time I open it and I haven't had this problem.  

 

If you want to try to troubleshoot your problem, posting more information would be helpful.  If you are just here to complain, then go away.  I find it pretty funny that you say buyer beware but then offer your nook up for sale at the end of your post.  

Contributor
Jpc87
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎03-16-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

My rudimentary analysis of return policy is purely based upon my own experience; please take into account that while i wrote this I was stricken with rage, mostly over B&N's customer service program. The Nook is not marketed as a tablet and even the Kindle has a 30-day return policy and it is not a device vying for new market penetration as it has a proven track record, so comparing apples to apples it is a short return period.

Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

Why don't you just return it under warranty? The nook color has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. If there is a problem with yours you can return it and they will send you another one. After the 14 day return period I don't think you can take it back to the store, but you can call them and they will arrange an exchange. The 14 day return is for your money back not for defects in the product, that's what a warranty is for.

 

Fran

Contributor
Jpc87
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎03-16-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

Yeah the first thing I did was to scour the net tiring to find solutions for my problem, there was no screen calibration option and in my case the best answer was to clean my screen,  which didn’t work, in addition to a "bonkers" screen there has appeared to be several dead pixels ever since I got the nook. It appears that I am speaking to satisfied Nook buyers, and my story was only to serve as a cautionary tale to perspective buyers.

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
Posts: 369
Registered: ‎02-04-2011

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

It may have only a 14 day return policy, but it has a one year warranty.  Your best bet is to take it to a B&N store and let them look at it.  If it really is defective, they will probably replace it right then and there.

 

Often screen problems are the result of a dirty screen. 

 

BTW, if you go to the store, remember that if you go in with a chip on your shoulder, you probably won't get much satisfaction.......

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Contributor
Jpc87
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎03-16-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

I really do not have a chip on my shoulder; I am just an unsatisfied customer at B&N. However I do demand satisfaction. 

Please know that I have exhausted all alternative solutions to my problem, and yes, I am fully aware of the 1 year warranty. So please take this thread for its intended purpose, a purpose that is meant as a cautionary tale to perspective buyers, as previously stated, and moreover please put an end to your unsolicited advice, I never asked how to fix my broken Nook, as I have already taken that route to no avail.  I know that you are all trying to be helpful and I thank you for that, but, I can see that most of you have numerous post on this site and I can only assume that you have been devout B&N supporters who have not experience the situation that I am currently in.    

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
Posts: 360
Registered: ‎12-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

 


Jpc87 wrote:

I really do not have a chip on my shoulder; I am just an unsatisfied customer at B&N. However I do demand satisfaction. 

Please know that I have exhausted all alternative solutions to my problem, and yes, I am fully aware of the 1 year warranty. So please take this thread for its intended purpose, a purpose that is meant as a cautionary tale to perspective buyers, as previously stated, and moreover please put an end to your unsolicited advice, I never asked how to fix my broken Nook, as I have already taken that route to no avail.  I know that you are all trying to be helpful and I thank you for that, but, I can see that most of you have numerous post on this site and I can only assume that you have been devout B&N supporters who have not experience the situation that I am currently in.    


 

It appears you've accomplished your mission to warn prospective buyers away. I guess we won't be hearing from you again.

 

Goodbye, and good luck.

My signature line is better than your signature line.
Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
Registered: ‎02-15-2010

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

[ Edited ]

 


Jpc87 wrote:

I really do not have a chip on my shoulder; I am just an unsatisfied customer at B&N. However I do demand satisfaction. 

Please know that I have exhausted all alternative solutions to my problem, and yes, I am fully aware of the 1 year warranty. So please take this thread for its intended purpose, a purpose that is meant as a cautionary tale to perspective buyers, as previously stated, and moreover please put an end to your unsolicited advice, I never asked how to fix my broken Nook, as I have already taken that route to no avail.  I know that you are all trying to be helpful and I thank you for that, but, I can see that most of you have numerous post on this site and I can only assume that you have been devout B&N supporters who have not experience the situation that I am currently in.    


 

  1. Unless you have exchanged your unit for a new one you have not "exhausted all alternative solutions" to your problem.  This is a known problem with SOME NOOKcolors; some have fixed it by exchanging their devices, and some have fixed it by installing the latest update (1.1).
  2. When you post on a public message board you have no control over the response you will receive.  If you don't want help why post on a technical support board?  That is what is offered here: support.
  3. Most of the members who have been posting to this thread haven't been members long, but that's neither here nor there.
  4. You shouldn't assume that others have no idea what you're going through.  There are NOOKcolor owners on this site who certainly had the same issue you have.  Again, they rectified their issue by either exchanging their NOOKcolors or by installing the latest software update.  So don't assume that satisfied customers are only those who have never had issues.  I exchanged my first NC three days after purchase for the same issues you are having and haven't had an issue since.
  5. Posting about problems while not wanting to do anything that may actually fix the issues is exactly complaining and nothing else.
  6. If we were to base our purchasing decisions on the few people who have to deal with a known product issue =, none of us would ever buy anything.  Every product has a number of defective units.
Wordsmith
dparrothead1
Posts: 369
Registered: ‎02-04-2011

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

So, Nallia, let's talk about number 3........are you inferring that because I haven't been a member for over a year and don't have over two thousand post, that I know nothing about the NC?

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

 


dparrothead1 wrote:

So, Nallia, let's talk about number 3........are you inferring that because I haven't been a member for over a year and don't have over two thousand post, that I know nothing about the NC?


Nope.  That's why I said, "but that's neither here nor there."  It was just one more error in logic to add to the list.  :smileywink:

 

Contributor
Jpc87
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎03-16-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

Lets pump the brakes on this, I never intended for my post to spur an argument. Dparrothead1, I also interpreted Nallia's statement to infer that I was uneducated about the Nook Color, but I assume that that was not the intended point. Just because we do not average 5 and ½ post a day does not mean that we do not know what we are talking about.

Nallia, when I wrote “alternative solutions,” alternative referred to any solution that was the alternate to taking advantage of my warranty, and yes I have indeed exhausted those alternatives.  I really don’t have the energy to reply to all of you points, I feel that I have answered all of them in my previous posts. And for the last time I thank you all for your input and for trying to help me through this problem, but as the title suggest, this is a “Buyer Beware” warning. (Posted on a technical forum for the fact that it is a technical problem, and because it was suggested that I partake in the forum by a B&N service representative.)  

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
Posts: 1,904
Registered: ‎12-04-2010

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

I ah...well um....I got nothing. :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

 


Jpc87 wrote:

I really do not have a chip on my shoulder; I am just an unsatisfied customer at B&N. However I do demand satisfaction. 

Please know that I have exhausted all alternative solutions to my problem, and yes, I am fully aware of the 1 year warranty. So please take this thread for its intended purpose, a purpose that is meant as a cautionary tale to perspective buyers, as previously stated, and moreover please put an end to your unsolicited advice, I never asked how to fix my broken Nook, as I have already taken that route to no avail.  I know that you are all trying to be helpful and I thank you for that, but, I can see that most of you have numerous post on this site and I can only assume that you have been devout B&N supporters who have not experience the situation that I am currently in.    


 

I blame your mother. 

 

I think she probably hates you, and requested a defective NookColor because she knew it would drive you bonkers.

 

The whole thing would be a very effective cautionary tale for your siblings, except that she probably loves them, and they're all having a big laugh right now at your expense.

 

Sorry about that.  :smileysad:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
vcreecher
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎01-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

Your ONLY resolution is the Warranty.

 

I too had issues with my NC that I purchased December 14th.

 

I called customer service 6 weeks later- on January 26th and we did a troubleshoot over the phone. The call was over in 30 minutes- ending with an order sending me a replacement NC. 

(I think they had an extended return/replacement period for the holidays)

 

The replacement was a NEW unit--- not a refurbished device.

 

Is that the reason you don't want to do the 1 year warranty? If not, then why? The warranty gets you what you want... a new NOOKcolor!!

Contributor
Jpc87
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎03-16-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

 


ABthree wrote:

 


Jpc87 wrote:

I really do not have a chip on my shoulder; I am just an unsatisfied customer at B&N. However I do demand satisfaction. 

Please know that I have exhausted all alternative solutions to my problem, and yes, I am fully aware of the 1 year warranty. So please take this thread for its intended purpose, a purpose that is meant as a cautionary tale to perspective buyers, as previously stated, and moreover please put an end to your unsolicited advice, I never asked how to fix my broken Nook, as I have already taken that route to no avail.  I know that you are all trying to be helpful and I thank you for that, but, I can see that most of you have numerous post on this site and I can only assume that you have been devout B&N supporters who have not experience the situation that I am currently in.    


 

I blame your mother. 

 

I think she probably hates you, and requested a defective NookColor because she knew it would drive you bonkers.

 

The whole thing would be a very effective cautionary tale for your siblings, except that she probably loves them, and they're all having a big laugh right now at your expense.

 

Sorry about that.  :smileysad:


That’s pretty funny and the sincere apology at the end makes it ok when coupled with a biblical quote. Sounds like you might have had a bad experience as a child, I am guessing that you were the middle child, or even worse an only child

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

 


Jpc87 wrote:

 


That’s pretty funny and the sincere apology at the end makes it ok when coupled with a biblical quote. Sounds like you might have had a bad experience as a child, I am guessing that you were the middle child, or even worse an only child

 


 

It wasn't an apology, it was an expression of sympathy (and quite insincere, I'm afraid).

 

it's not a biblical quote, it's a Church Father.  And it's my Signature, not part of the message.

 

And I'm the oldest of six; most people find that obvious.

 

Glad you enjoyed the post.  :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

 

 

 

 

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
jermandpep
Posts: 46
Registered: ‎02-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook

As much as I am frustrated with B&N's customer service I have to say they are pretty good about warranty replacements. 

 

I have already had to replace 3 of them for a variety of problems, and I received each of the replacements quickly without much problem at all. 

 

Interestingly my biggest problem has been sending the defective NC's back.  For some reason they haven't figured out how to send a UPS shipping label and I still have all 3 sitting on a shelf in my garage

Frequent Contributor
lilacangel
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎03-04-2011

Re: Buyer Beware-- Don't buy a Nook


Jpc87 wrote:

Nallia, when I wrote “alternative solutions,” alternative referred to any solution that was the alternate to taking advantage of my warranty ... (Posted on a technical forum for the fact that it is a technical problem, and because it was suggested that I partake in the forum by a B&N service representative.)  




Well, frankly, if you haven't taken advantage of the warranty, then don't post that you've tried all the alternate solutions. You haven't.

Second, if you REALLY wanted to warn people, why not post a poor product review on the product itself and on consumer review sites? That makes far more sense (logically speaking) since tech support board users usually already own the product, so a "word of caution" will generally fall on deaf ears.

Also, by posting on a "technical support" board, you are by default asking for advice.