New User
Saturnace
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Connect Nook Color to Home Wifi

I am not sure if this helps, but I had the same problem with my Laptop connecting to my router as well as my wife's Color Nook. The Laptop and the Nook would show a excellent connection to my router, but would not be able to connect. After many trials an errors I found out it was a Winsock error on my laptop that was the problem. So I downloaded  Microsoft Fix it 50203 at  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811259 ,  and low a behold it worked. No more problems with my laptop. So I decided to see if the same winsock fix would work on my wife's Color Nook, I was able to get the Nook on line by using my neighbors open router (by the way he is a minister and doesn't seem to mind).  And I went to MS fix it site and attempted to download the Fix it  50203. To be honest probably two different operating systems with the Nook and Microsoft fix it.  And after I hit the download button nothing happened at least overtly. It never said it could not download the fix. All I know is when I tried to reconnect to my own router it worked. For how long I do not know, but it is working now.  So is the problem a winsock problem? I still am not sure, But it worked. Good luck and i hope it continues to work.

Frequent Contributor
rmsmi
0 Kudos

I had trouble getting past the wi-fi setup screen on my nook color using WEP security and a Verizon Fios router. It turns out that I needed to use my WEP key as my password. Not my regular Verizon account sign-in password. The WEP key number is on the sticker on the router.

New User
mereco
0 Kudos

Thanks for your tip. I tried for several hours to get my nook connected ti verizon FIOS router.  Never had any trouble with laptops or other devices.  Using the router WEP key as the password worked.

Thanks a million!!!!!      regards... MERECO

New User
jamiesa_bannister
0 Kudos

me too ! what should i do about it ? should i take it back or take it to a computer store ?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

jamiesa_bannister wrote:

me too ! what should i do about it ? should i take it back or take it to a computer store ?

Me Too what?  If you explain exactly what you are doing and what is not happening, maybe we can offer some suggestions.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Or we can go for the preemptive strike, a relatively full monty of things to try, and hope the poster with issues will try working their way through this and document what they could and couldn't test. 

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-nc-cant-talk-to-my-wireless.html

my NC can't talk to my wireless

Nook colors being unable to talk to wireless access points is a common and super-frustrating problem.

In no small part, this is because unless you know about skipping the out of box experience, you cannot use the device at all until you have connected!

Consensus is that release 1.1 of the BN software is more reliable at connecting to access points than the newest 1.2 release at this point (May 2011.)

If you've tried everything else, you can reinitialize your NC, install 1.1, and lock it from further...

Before you go there, be sure you have to.

Let's start with known incompatible or borderline compatible access points for software 1.2.

If you have one of these, you should probably roll back and root. That is the best fix for least three consumer routers: DLink DL-624, Westell 327W and Belkin F5D8231-4. There is an unreleased fix for the Belkin, no info on the Dlink or Westell. Some folks have found that doing a reset to factory settings works with the Westell. I would suggest that the fastest way to get to factory settings is to do a clean install of OS 1.2.

Assuming that doesn't work, each of these three worked fine with Nook software release 1.1. Go install it.

If you're still reading, let's try fixing the problem.

First, try the obvious: hold the power button on your NC in > 15 seconds. Ignore the "do you want to shut down?" dialog. Your NC will power down. Power back on. This process resets some components, and some folks find it helpful. I include it here, but I realize you probably already tried it. More than once.

Another obvious one: are you sure you're entering and sending the wireless password correctly?

Test the password by making a new connection to the AP from a computer or other device in the house. Then, forget your connection on the Nook Color and set it up fresh. Untick the "hide my password" button in the password settings, so you can see what you are typing. Check that your Nook Color and your router agree on both the password and encryption setting (WPA, WEP, WPA2, etc.) you are using.

Now to some of the less-obvious:

1) Take a look in Settings.... Wireless... If your nook color remembers more than 10 wireless networks (these are not just the networks displayed, but those with stored passwords - they are displayed as "remembered") go in and forget a few of the ones you use least often.

The nook color can only store 10 networks' login data, or so I have read. So select and forget a few of the ones that say "remembered" but are out of range. Now try connecting to your AP again.

No?

2) find out what router or access point model you have, and what software it is running. If an update is available from the manufacture, install it and see if your NC can connect after you reboot both devices.

No?

3) Once your router is up-to-date, try this, making each of these changes together:

- tell your router to run in G only or G/N if you'd immediately kill services you need by disabling N.

- Disable MAC filtering

- Disable WEP and WPA

- Put speed in "auto" and channel in "auto" rather than manually setting either

- Broadcast your SSID

- Try setting your lease time to a very long interval - 1 week if possible

If you make those changes you may well be able to connect. Then you can start walking the changes back one at a time.

On the N band setting, you may not be able to "lock" the router at its highest speed or anything close to it under 1.2. You may not be able to use N at all (some Cisco access points in N just don't work with NCs running N, but do work with NCs running G.)

Most folks are ultimately able to hide SSID, use WPA-2 and MAC filtering all without problems. 

There is some very interesting juju happening with WEP. Some WEP connections won't work; if your router only supports WEP, be aware that at one time BN was advising customers that WEP was not supported. To connect to Nook Colors, some WEP-only routers need to be in "open" WEP key mode, some need to be in "shared" WEP key mode, and the Nook Color cannot connect to some.

If your router only supports WEP, as a network guy, I would recommend you replace it and get a router with WPA-2.

Frankly, you might as well run your router without a password until your replacement arrives. Use a different method to secure it (MAC address filtering, all by itself, is far more effective than WEP, and simply not broadcasting your SSID is probably as effective as WEP.)

If you still can't connect, you can look into doing a full clean install of 1.2 (if you really like ...

Some people are able to get connectivity after a full format and reinstall of 1.2 Some are not.

If you are unable to connect your 1.2 to your access point after
- updating your AP software
- doing a clean install of 1.2
- turning off the bells and whistles on your router,

please let BN know that you followed this guide and could not establish a connection. Please also give them the model # of your router or access point.

BN doesn't have a copy of every AP in the universe and right now I think it makes sense to help them identify problem models. APs are commodity hardware. Most run one of a relatively few Linux kernels and a relatively few wireless and ethernet chipsets. The more problem routers BN knows to test, the sooner they'll find a pattern.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
rod0071
0 Kudos

I just received my Nook color a couple days ago, and I also am having trouble connecting to my wireless network. I guess I will be spending some time trying these suggestions I have seen posted here. It is just sort of dissapointing that there are issues with the device connecting to the wireless network and B&N has not provided any info with their product that might assist in connecting to the wireless network.It doesn't appear this is a "New" issue concerning these posts I see go back to 2010.

New User
Tsand
0 Kudos

I am having this EXACT issue! I haven't been able to use mine anywhere but in Barnes and Noble since I got it. LAME! Let me know if you figure out how to make this thing work. Or I am trading it for a Kindle Fire!

New User
BigBirdNJ
0 Kudos

My Color Nook is software version 1.4.1 and cant network with my D-Link DIR-815 wireless router.  Encryption is turned on.  The nook keeps on asking for a network password; there is none.  My laptop and netbook interface fine without this password.  Best I can tell, this is different from the key.

I can network if I turn off the encryption.

What is going on here?

New User
lillycups816
0 Kudos

i just a got my nook tablet for christmas and i have the wifi name that i want and i click on it and it remembers it i click on it again and i click connect and it doesnt do anything

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

BigBirdNJ wrote:

My Color Nook is software version 1.4.1 and cant network with my D-Link DIR-815 wireless router.  Encryption is turned on.  The nook keeps on asking for a network password; there is none.  My laptop and netbook interface fine without this password.  Best I can tell, this is different from the key.

I can network if I turn off the encryption.

What is going on here?

The password the Nook is asking for is the Wifi password/passphrase/key of your router. And both the laptop and netbook will be using this password (if they have a Wifi connection to your router). 

New User
OlgasChina
0 Kudos

hi, i just got a color nook for christmas and i can't get past the screen to connect to a wifi?  i have a pc at home and my provider for the inter-net is at&t.  how can i get past this screen i want to start using my nook.  please help me?  vivemehoy@yahoo.com (773) 655-5724 cell

thanks, gladis

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

OlgasChina wrote:

hi, i just got a color nook for christmas and i can't get past the screen to connect to a wifi?  i have a pc at home and my provider for the inter-net is at&t.  how can i get past this screen i want to start using my nook.  please help me? 

thanks, gladis

You say you have a PC at home. Do you also have a wireless router? You need a wifi connection to register and do a lot with the new nook color. If you don't have a wireless router, you could visit a B&N store, McDonald's, Starbuck's or some other place that offers free wifi.

New User
Topher08CN
0 Kudos

I have had the same problem with my new Nook Tablet. After a day and several calls to B&N tech support, nothing they suggested in their scripted replies had worked. This has been absolutely maddening. The actual fix that I stumbled upon was to enter the  Linksys routers 16 digit hex code and bingo I was on.

New User
CKS57
0 Kudos

After calling the BN customer service number no less than THREE TIMES, which was absolutely useless by the way, I came upon this support community and found the solution!!! THANK YOU!!! I would sign in and the NOOK would keep authenticating but would not connect to WIFI network here in the house, everything else has ..laptop, TV, iPOD but not this. It kept asking for an 8 letter password, even changed my router's password for this...BN doesn't tell you but it's not some random password but the wireless router's SECURITY KEY CODE that was needed..sp thanks again..and thanks for nothing BN! !

New User
brotherrut
0 Kudos

New User
mariboo
0 Kudos

i just bought my nook color and its stuck on connect to wifi screen

New User
luthervandrossDH
0 Kudos