Contributor
gmarie12
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Can't Connect Nook Color to Home Wifi

Help! I have read these message boards and tried everything already suggested and I still can't connect my daughter's Nook Color to my router, a Linksys WRT54GX2. I have many other devices connected to this router and all are functioning properly. The Nook lists my router's SSID and after we click on it and enter the passphrase, the Nook goes back to the "select a wireless connection" screen. Below the SSID for my router is "remembered, secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK." When we select the router and hit "connect," nothing happens. In other words, the Nook will not connect to our router, and it remains on the "select a wireless connection" screen. I took my daughter to a local Starbucks where she was easily able to connect and buy books. Of course, I don't want to have to go out everytime she needs books--this was one of the advantages of her having a Nook. Like I said, I have tried everything already suggested (broadcast SSID, no MAC filter, etc) and would appreciate any other suggestions anyone may have.

Reader
jboschjr
0 Kudos

Re: Can't Connect Nook Color to Home Wifi

I am also having trouble connecting to the internet but my problem is a little different than yours.  My nook acts like it connects and even shows wi-fi bars of strength but will not load web pages.  Occasionally it will but not often.  I have several laptops and other devices hooked up to my wi-fi and am having no problems with those things.  I even installed the latest update and am still having the problem.  I hope that B&N posts something soon about this otherwise the Nook may be going back.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling

If your model is the one I find by searching for your model number on Amazon, it looks like a pretty old model. If so, the first thing you might try is look on the Linksys website for newer firmware. If that doesn't work you just might need to buy a more recent model router.

I just replaced my very old Netgear router with a more recent D-Link router (for all of about $28.00) and it made all my old problems just go away. Who knows what the issues were?:smileysurprised:

Wordsmith
watchingDclock

Also, filing this under the category of, "the most likely solution is often the simplest", make sure you're typing in the correct passphrase. There's a little checkbox that says, "show password" or whatever that will allow you to see what you're typing.

The Nook Color's keyboard, especially when the Nook Color is charging, can go a little haywire. I had this problem on my first unit, and spent like 20 minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't connect to my home wifi. lol. Finally noticed that the keyboard was doubletyping some of my input.

Unfortunately, when your passphrase fails, the Nook Color gives NO notification that it failed and will just go directly back to the "select network" screen.

New User
nookmeCO
0 Kudos

Ditto..... to the Can't Connect Nook Color to Home Wifi. Just got this NooK for Christmas and I'm not able to use it at home because of some tech. Conflict between Nook and router. I have had an hour long conversation with B&N's tech support and two rounds with D-LInk support, via India, with no solution to this Conflict between router and Nook. My router is two months old.They both point the finger at one another and the user/customer is left holding a non functioning NOOK at home. Yah! You would think B&N would be able to address this problem????????? NOT SATISFIED WITH THIS PRODUCT........................................

Wordsmith
mbratch

[ Edited ]

There are many threads on wifi access, some where people found particular solutions.

In particular, you might want to browse the thread: List of working routers and setup. There might be some info there that helps.

I have a D-Link router and it's working fine.

In some cases, people of fixed their issue by choosing a different encryption, or by making sure their SSID didn't have spaces, or making sure that their router was broadcasting their SSID, etc.

Contributor
Lisar0228
0 Kudos

I think this is ridiculous.  I just bought my nookcolor and now it says it is connected but no internet.  My Nook classic is connected and fine right now.  This many people having the same problem isnt right.  I am not a technical person and do not want to have to ask someone to help me change the router.  I shouldnt have to.  I just want to use my Nook the way I was able to use the old one.

Frequent Contributor
4yesh4

if your using a WEP settings mode, change the WEP encryption to 64bits

unplug your modem and router, wait for 20sec, plug-in it again, press and hold down the power button (of your nook) until it shuts off, then turn it back on...

if the nook is completely on go to settings > wireless > (tap and hold down your wireless network then select forget) tap it again then connect..

Unanimous Decision
New User
garyw0415
0 Kudos

I have called the help desk on this issue, no one calls back when they say they will, they are overseas somewhere, can barely understand them, all they do is repeat the problem to you-I can do that to myself with a tape recorder and understand it better.

My nook would connect fine before the update, now it will try to get an IP address and then lose it and try again and the process goes on and on. And when it tries to connect it completely messes up all wired and wireless computers that were connected.

In looking at all the posts on this site as well as android 2.2 users sites that can't connect it appears it is an android 2.2 issue which the nook color update is based upon.

Right now I have a $250 paperweight. I have contacted tech support via email for my wireless router and I will send emails to management at barnes & noble. If i don't receive a timely response I will return the nook color and purchase something that actually works.

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

Gary... I have had this situation since Monday morning.  Have posted ad naseum about it. and it is now THursday evening, it still won't connect and I still haven't gotten an adequate answer, either here on these boards nor from B&N's Customer Service.

I agree:  we have expensive paper weights right now.

Looking forward to buying an iPad, actually.  This has convinced me that even if they fix this, I doubt that will end the problems, given how long it has taken them to NOT fix this one.  

Maybe I'll get a few bucks for this NookColor on eBay... apply to a iPad or perhaps another tablet, Zoom, or something.  Anything is better than this.

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...
~L.C.Powell

Contributor
dtkpmom
0 Kudos

That is what mine is dong. I can surf maybe a page or two or even five, but then the browser shuts down.  App store shuts too, sometime immediatly, somtimes I can shop.  This problem has been going on since I sidloaded the update on Monday. I took it to b&n and it had the same problem there, so it wasn't my house.  Their updated nooks were all working fine.  I do have internet access, the browser crashes repeatedly.    After three days with customer service (b&n nook guy in the store was on the phone with them for 1 1/2 hours, me for an hour yesterday at home, and this morning on live chat )  trying many different solutions, they are finally replacing it.  We'll see when the new one comes what happens.

Contributor
aschulz

I hope my response will be of some help on this issue.

I too am having the same issue with the Nook Color not being able to connect to our WiFi. I'm a network admin for a Library System and I support a WLAN with over 40 AP's on it all Cisco 4410N WAPs. Nook Colors are not able to connect to them, however I just discovered a workaround to this. I changed the Wireless mode from Mixed B/G/N to N-Only or G-Only and the Nook Color was then able to connect.

Now, the question is, is this a Nook Color (B&N) issue or the Wireless AP vendor's issue?

I have spent hours with Cisco on this and as you experienced with D-link, Cisco points at B&G. 

New User
Raphaely
0 Kudos

I have tried to reboot the router and it still doesn't work. It was interesting though since I was able to connect 1 time to sign up my NC and surf the webs, then after I turned it off and came back 30 mins later I would not be able to connect to my home wifi anymore since then.

The other thing I want to say is the tech support hotline isn't every helpful. I know I am using the NC in Canada and it maybe be a "reason" why there is technical difficulty (which it shouldn't be) for the device. The lady who tried to answer my questions of the wifi connection over the phone was so lack of knowledge (she told me because I was not in the states that was why the device couldn't connect to wifi...) This is hopeless...

Frequent Contributor
tonyh61
0 Kudos

buy a new wireless router or call your internet provider

Nook Color honeycomb 3.0/ stock 1.4.1
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

@Raph: 

Here is my t/s catalog for the NC. If your NC was bought with software 1.1 and updated itself to 1.2, that might explain the headache. 

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-nc-cant-talk-to-my-wireless.html

Nook colors being unable to talk to wireless access points is a common and super-frustrating problem.

In no small part, this is because unless you know about skipping the out of box experience, you cannot use the device at all until you have connected!

Consensus is that release 1.1 of the BN software is more reliable at connecting to access points than the newest 1.2 release at this point (May 2011.)

If you've tried everything else, you can reinitialize your NC, install 1.1, and lock it from further...

Before you go there, be sure you have to.

Let's start with known incompatible or borderline compatible access points for software 1.2.

If you have one of these, roll back and root. That is the only fix for least three consumer routers: DLink DL-624, Westell 327W and Belkin F5D8231-4. There is an unreleased fix for the Belkin, no info on the Dlink or Westell.

Each of these three worked fine with Nook software release 1.1. Go install it.

If you're still reading, let's try fixing the problem.

First, try the obvious: hold the power button on your NC in > 15 seconds. Ignore the "do you want to shut down?" dialog. Your NC will power down. Power back on. This process resets some components, and some folks find it helpful. I include it here, but I realize you probably already tried it. More than once.

Another obvious one: are you sure you're entering and sending the wireless password correctly?

Test the password by making a new connection to the AP from a computer or other device in the house. Then, forget your connection on the Nook Color and set it up fresh. Untick the "hide my password" button in the password settings, so you can see what you are typing. Check that your Nook Color and your router agree on both the password and encryption setting (WPA, WEP, WPA2, etc.) you are using.

Now to some of the less-obvious:

1) Take a look in Settings.... Wireless... If your nook color remembers more than 10 wireless networks (these are not just the networks displayed, but those with stored passwords - they are displayed as "remembered") go in and forget a few of the ones you use least often.

The nook color can only store 10 networks' login data, or so I have read. So select and forget a few of the ones that say "remembered" but are out of range. Now try connecting to your AP again.

No?

2) find out what router or access point model you have, and what software it is running. If an update is available from the manufacture, install it and see if your NC can connect after you reboot both devices.

No?

3) Once your router is up-to-date, try this, making each of these changes together:

- tell your router to run in G only or G/N if you'd immediately kill services you need by disabling N.

- Disable MAC filtering

- Disable WEP and WPA

- Put speed in "auto" and channel in "auto" rather than manually setting either

- Broadcast your SSID

- Try setting your lease time to a very long interval - 1 week if possible

If you make those changes you may well be able to connect. Then you can start walking the changes back one at a time.

On the N band setting, you may not be able to "lock" the router at its highest speed or anything close to it under 1.2. You may not be able to use N at all (some Cisco access points in N just don't work with NCs running N, but do work with NCs running G.)

Most folks are ultimately able to hide SSID, use WPA-2 and MAC filtering all without problems. 

There is some very interesting juju happening with WEP. Some WEP connections won't work; if your router only supports WEP, be aware that at one time BN was advising customers that WEP was not supported. To connect to Nook Colors, some WEP-only routers need to be in "open" WEP key mode, some need to be in "shared" WEP key mode, and the Nook Color cannot connect to some.

If your router only supports WEP, as a network guy, I would recommend you replace it and get a router with WPA-2.

Frankly, you might as well run your router without a password until your replacement arrives. Use a different method to secure it (MAC address filtering, all by itself, is far more effective than WEP, and simply not broadcasting your SSID is probably as effective as WEP.)

If you still can't connect, you can look into doing a full clean install of 1.2 (if you really like ...

Some people are able to get connectivity after a full format and reinstall of 1.2 Some are not.

If you are unable to connect your 1.2 to your access point after
- updating your AP software
- doing a clean install of 1.2
- turning off the bells and whistles on your router,

please let BN know that you followed this guide and could not establish a connection. Please also give them the model # of your router or access point.

BN doesn't have a copy of every AP in the universe and right now I think it makes sense to help them identify problem models. APs are commodity hardware. Most run one of a relatively few Linux kernels and a relatively few wireless and ethernet chipsets. The more problem routers BN knows to test, the sooner they'll find a pattern. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
Raphaely
0 Kudos

Thank you so much to spend the time to explain to us- at least now I know what went wrong, even I am a Canadian user of NC!:smileyhappy:

New User
egsic
0 Kudos

I see there are other threads that talk about this issue - I have a new Nook Color, and had a terrible time trying to connect to my home wireless, in fact, it would not connect until I allowed a broadcast of the SSID. I thought once I had successfully connect, I could shut off the broadcast, but I could not re-connect once the router did not broadcast. I have upgraded to the 1.2 release to see if this remedied the problem, but the wireless continues to  display a message "scanning" or "obtaining IP address" until it finally gives up.

I have a Linksys Wireless-G broadband router and this is the first device I have ever owned that has this problem inlcuding a iPod, iPad and several laptops. Based on the devices I can connect with ease, I think this must be a problem with the Nook Color device, and its ability to connect.

Any help or assistance from B&N would be appreciated.

New User
frustratedandabused
0 Kudos

Not sure what to think.  I've tried every setting imaginable and reset the router with many different security and encryption options.  This is a new device that can connect at the store but not in my home (and I have had 3 PCs, one Playstation 3 and a Blu-Ray that are all connected).

I'm guessing it wasn't tested well enough or the software fully developed.

It's unfortunate, it ends up a brick to be returned and a total waste of environmental resources.

Barnes and Noble has certainly put the challenge back into reading.

New User
Laura1234
0 Kudos

How do you change the WEP setting mode?

New User
Paul27PR
0 Kudos

I just purchased a Nook color and I am having the same problem.  Will you help me?