Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

Can't download pre-ordered book

In August I pre-ordered several books. When the release date for each arrived, I was unable to download the book. Then I remembered to archive and unarchive the book prior to trying to download.

Now I have today's release and nothing works. I've tried the archive-unarchive trick several times to no avail. Then I tried turning off the unit and then turned it back on. Didn't work.

The book shows "Pre-order" until I unarchive it. Then it shows "New" and the gray bar shows and stays. After a couple minutes, the gray bar disappears and the book reverts to "Pre-Order" status.

I'm going to stop pre-ordering since B&N can't produce a system that honors it. However, how do I proceed to get hold of the book I've paid for (checked and the invoice was in Email) but can't download?

Eric Johnson

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Re: Can't download pre-ordered book

Toller wrote:

In August I pre-ordered several books. When the release date for each arrived, I was unable to download the book. Then I remembered to archive and unarchive the book prior to trying to download.

Now I have today's release and nothing works. I've tried the archive-unarchive trick several times to no avail. Then I tried turning off the unit and then turned it back on. Didn't work.

The book shows "Pre-order" until I unarchive it. Then it shows "New" and the gray bar shows and stays. After a couple minutes, the gray bar disappears and the book reverts to "Pre-Order" status.

I'm going to stop pre-ordering since B&N can't produce a system that honors it. However, how do I proceed to get hold of the book I've paid for (checked and the invoice was in Email) but can't download?

Eric Johnson

Since a few minutes the bn.com website is not available (I was browsing the website), I just get an error. So if you tried this just before you wrote your post, it could be B&N is having server problems.

Earlier today I had to archive/unarchive some pre-order books in the Android app. Pre-orders were working fine in the new version of the app, so that also looks like an B&N problem.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

Toller wrote:

Eric Johnson

Since a few minutes the bn.com website is not available (I was browsing the website), I just get an error. So if you tried this just before you wrote your post, it could be B&N is having server problems.

Earlier today I had to archive/unarchive some pre-order books in the Android app. Pre-orders were working fine in the new version of the app, so that also looks like an B&N problem.

bn.com is back. Looks to me like the website is faster than before. So perhaps they were indeed changing some things on their servers.

Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem as before. I can archive and unarchive all day. The status changes from "Preordered" to "New" but the book isn't there.

Eric

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Toller wrote:

I'm having the same problem as before. I can archive and unarchive all day. The status changes from "Preordered" to "New" but the book isn't there.

Eric

Perhaps there is a problem with this specific book.

Can you download the book from your library on the B&N website?

Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

Now it's really strange.

I tried again to download the book but couldn't. Then I tried "Shop" and I get a blank screen with the heading "browse...." and the small box at the bottom with the heading "popular lists".  That's it.

I tried to search and was told that I wasn't connected. When I checked the "wireless" option under settings, I was told that I was connected to my network and that the network was connected to the Internet.

I'm afraid I'll once again have to boot the device. Does anyone know where the instructions are? I know that I have to archive all my books as a first step.

I don't have this much trouble with library books.<sigh>

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Toller wrote:

Now it's really strange.

I tried again to download the book but couldn't. Then I tried "Shop" and I get a blank screen with the heading "browse...." and the small box at the bottom with the heading "popular lists".  That's it.

I tried to search and was told that I wasn't connected. When I checked the "wireless" option under settings, I was told that I was connected to my network and that the network was connected to the Internet.

I'm afraid I'll once again have to boot the device. Does anyone know where the instructions are? I know that I have to archive all my books as a first step.

I don't have this much trouble with library books.<sigh>

I have been getting several  errors the last few hours on the B&N website. Even my B&N libary was unavailable for a short while. So perhaps you could just wait until tomorrow?

To reboot the device just press the power  button for some 10 seconds until the device switches off.

You do not need to archive all your books if you just reboot the device.

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

Another thought...it could be that for some reason even though the book was supposed to be released today, the eBook might not have released on schedule.  I read on another forum where someone else was having an issue with an eBook downloading on the date of issue, and they went to the B&N.com site to look up the book and saw that the eBook hadn't been released (even though initally they were to be released on the same day).  They did get the book a few days later, but that is little consolation if you are wanting to read it now.  Could you possibly be having the same issue?

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I have had this problem with other vendors as well. I decided to go low tech and just put a reminder on my calender. Easier to change your mind if decide to read something else. There not going to run out of e books after all.
Correspondent
Toller
0 Kudos

Nope. I downloaded the book to my PC and my wife's nook this AM before I even sent the first message.