New User
Grifter
0 Kudos

Cancelling a magazine subscription?

When I first got Nook Color, I decided to try a free trial magazine subscription.  After looking at it, I did not want the subscription, so have tired numerous times to cancel it through "manage subscriptions" on my account. 

Although I did receive a message each time saying the cancellation was successful, the magazine never disappeared from my Nook library.  Today I received an email saying the next issue was ready.  It included a phone number to call to cancel, instructing me to use "option 5".  Surprise, surprise - there is no option 5.

Has anyone else had any success cancelling a subscription without a lot of pain?I have tired calling customer service, but the wait is painfully long.

Reader 4
rebma
0 Kudos

Re: Cancelling a magazine subscription?

I'm experiencing the same thing.

I was checking my bank account and saw a 1.99 BnN charge today. I went in to my BnN acct and saw a charge for a magazine. I also ordered the trial of a magazine and cancelled right away. I went in a little while ago and saw the magazine still in my account as well. I cancelled again.

I see I need to find someone to straighten this out as well. I don't want to keep getting charged when it's been cancelled.

Frequent Contributor
El_Nacho
0 Kudos

Grifter, so are you still being charged for it after trying to cancel it or are you just trying to delete the old issues that were downloaded from your nook? 

Dan

Wordsmith
jeanniepep

Yeah, you do get to keep the free trial issue (also any purchased issues, if you cancel after the trial period).  But if you are still getting new ones after trying to cancel, that's a problem.

I haven't had any trouble canceling at all, either before or after the trial period - do it through My Account here on the website, not sure if there even is another way.  Anyway, it sounds like you're having more problems besides just deleting old issues - sorry to hear it's not working right for you!  I hope CS can help!

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

Grifter wrote:

When I first got Nook Color, I decided to try a free trial magazine subscription.  After looking at it, I did not want the subscription, so have tired numerous times to cancel it through "manage subscriptions" on my account. 

Although I did receive a message each time saying the cancellation was successful, the magazine never disappeared from my Nook library.  Today I received an email saying the next issue was ready.  It included a phone number to call to cancel, instructing me to use "option 5".  Surprise, surprise - there is no option 5.

Has anyone else had any success cancelling a subscription without a lot of pain?I have tired calling customer service, but the wait is painfully long.

Call Customer Service, option 2 not 5.    They can cancel the subscription immediately for you. 

---------
Don
New User
Grifter
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone.   I don't think I have been charged for anything yet.  I received an email saying the next issue is available, but in my account it says the next issue won't be issued until the 17th.  am hoping I can get this stopped before I do get charged.

@ donc13:  I have called customer service several times.  I have tired a couple different options (including 2) before, but each time I get stuck on hold and finally have to give up after a half hour.  I have called every night this week so far.  Also sent them an email yesterday, but have not received a response.

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

I've got the same issue.  I have been unable to cancel the trial subscriptions despite repeated attempts on the "manage my subscription" page.   I have a week left of the free trial -perhaps you can't do it before a certain time?

Distinguished Correspondent
yoshipumkin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The issue you already received won't disappear from your Nook.  It's yours.  Just like a trial subscription with a paper magazine, you don't have to return the ones you already received when you canceled. However, if you're still receiving issues after you've cancelled, that's a cause for concern. I canceled a random subscription I'd done just to check out the magazine features of the Nook (which are pretty cool) and it went smoothly, but it was a monthly.  Maybe the problem is specifically with the dailies or weeklies?

This might be extra cautious, but I'd take screenshot or save the web page of your cancellation confirmation. Just in case it does come to that, you'll have proof that you really did cancel before the trial period was up. 

Also, there isn't a time limit on how soon you can cancel.  I think I canceled mine within two days because I had just wanted to check out how magazines looked on my new Nook.

Frequent Contributor
El_Nacho
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

And if you would like to delete past issues of magazines/newspapers from your nook, I usually use Adobe Digital editions and delete them off of my nook with that great program. 

New User
Beverly_Kurtin
0 Kudos

THANK YOU!  I've been going bonkers trying to find a place where I could cancel a magazine; it is too hard to read, but the Nook has a drop down Article Vew makes it 

I could not decide whether to buy the Fire or the Color Nook.  So I flipped a coin and the thing landed on its edge. I wound up buying both.  Some things are available are available on one but not the other and vice-versa.  

There are good and better with both, no bad at all.  The one thing I would recommend, however, is that you use a capacitive stylus to keep the screens clean(er).

Again, thanks for your suggestion!

New User
harleymax

Re: Canceling a magazine subscription?

HI,  EUREKA!!!  I FINALLY CANCELLED MY UNWANTED SUBSCRIPTIONS.  I got the phone number for Barnes & Noble from my bank statement and made a call to the number (800-843-2665).  David was great...he cancelled 8 unwanted subscription in a matter of minutes and was a very nice person.  I told him our story of woe but he didn't say anything.  I'm putting the phone number on the inside jacket of my nook.  I'm so glad that's over....$37 a month for unwanted magazines....it really burnt my Scottish heart.

Merry Christmas,

Fedupscot

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
(this page intentionally left blank)
Reader
Saltzy
0 Kudos

Re: Canceling a magazine subscription?

Thank you for the phone number! Saved me so much time!

New User
Olive13
0 Kudos

I figured out the problem with cancelling the magazines!!! :smileyhappy: according to the "manage subscription" message, the magazines that you already have stay in your library, and even though the cancellation was successful, it auto-renews every month. So, in order to not pay for it, you need to go back to it every month and cancel it. I know it is a lot of work, but hey, at least you don't have to pay for it any more!