Reader
evvdon
0 Kudos

Cannot send emails as promised...

I am returning my new NookColor.  If you are not aware, while you can read e-mail and you can reply, forwared, etc - you cannot actually type a message in.  I tried on both AOL account and GMail account.  When I went to to the store for help, the staff was unaware of this and when they called the tech center they were told that the tech center was aware and working on the fix.  They do not know when they will have it fixed.

I am disappointed that Barnes & Noble would promote this feature when they know that it is not functioning correctly - I can only imagine they will have a lot of disappointed people who receive the NookColor for Christmas....

Distinguished Wordsmith
FantasyRider

Re: Cannot send emails as promised...

Not having any issues with using gmail here.

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein
Contributor
kingsuperdad
0 Kudos

I've been able to access gmail. Found that I prefer using the gmail mobile view.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

You can't still use it as an ereader which is its main function?

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

evvdon wrote:

I am returning my new NookColor.  If you are not aware, while you can read e-mail and you can reply, forwared, etc - you cannot actually type a message in.  I tried on both AOL account and GMail account.  When I went to to the store for help, the staff was unaware of this and when they called the tech center they were told that the tech center was aware and working on the fix.  They do not know when they will have it fixed.

I am disappointed that Barnes & Noble would promote this feature when they know that it is not functioning correctly - I can only imagine they will have a lot of disappointed people who receive the NookColor for Christmas....

Your comment "- you cannot actually type a message in" makes no sense.  You say you can "reply" to an email.  How do you reply without typing something in ???

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Contributor
RucknRun
0 Kudos

I have not had any problems either. Mobie view seems to be the way to go.
Wordsmith
SCIONTX
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

evvdon wrote:

...I can only imagine they will have a lot of disappointed people who receive the NookColor for Christmas....

Really? People can send emails from their computer or phone. I doubt someone would bark at receivng this as an "ereader" gift if for whatever reason they can't send an email.

Correspondent
NanaLou

evvdon wrote:

I had the same problem with AOL the first time I tried to reply to a message.  The box to type in your message appears on the screen however the keyboard does not pop-up to allow you to type.

Try using:

1. mobile aol

2. select mail

3. scroll to bottom of screen and select "basic version"

keyboard will pop-up to type in message.

Hope this helps.

Frequent Contributor
Capt-Nemo
0 Kudos

I will add my two cents to the argument. I am on sbcglobal part of AT and T and not AOL. I am able to to enter an email address, enter a Subject Line, but when I attempt to put in the body of the email the unit will not lock in place. So the keyboard does not populate. I sent my wife an email at work with the subject "Hi From My Nook" and without a larger message and it ended up in her junk mail.

However to me the real purpose of an E-reader is to read books and periodicals too. So I am not concerned to much, but still wonder if the function is available why it won't work.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

We are aware of the issue and are working on it. As a workaround:

Facebook:  try http://touch.facebook.com

Hotmail:  try http://mobile.live.com/hm

B&N Forums:  Click on the "HTML" tab when entering text.  It should let you type in.

We're working on the issue of not being able to type in certain text entry fields

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

The "unable to type" problem is not exclusive to Nook color. Thats why most sites have set up Mobile versions designed for Touch devices.

This link will take you to my post that has links to sites that have a list of mobile sites.

Hope this helps  :smileyhappy:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/Keyboard-and-flakey-touch-screen/...

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
New User
IA_Reader
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip on using AOL mobile.  That does work and allows me to type in the note portion of an email.