Contributor
tjr72
0 Kudos

Change wireless MTU size on Nook Color??

In my home, websites fail to load, downloads frequently fail, and the Pandora app fails after a few minutes.  I know that my DSL requires reducing the MTU size from the standard 1500 to 1350 on all of our devices.  I'm certain that I need to reduce the MTU size on my Nook but can't figure out how.  Please help.

I see a lot of frustrated postes regarding Wi-Fi connectivity, and I'd be willing to bet that a large number of the problems could be resolved with an MTU adjustment.  Speed, broacast SSID, and security settings are not the cause for wireless connectivity problems.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Re: Change wireless MTU size on Nook Color??

I dont believe the MTU can be changed on the Nookcolor. Have not heard this mentioned til you posted. Do your router specs list a max MTU?  

There have been a large number of people here and on other boards having connectivity issues. Most of the people here have been able to make changes in their router and get it working. Some I'm sure are still fighting with it. 

Would be could info to know. I guess E-mailing the manufacturer would be one way to get it.

I Found a "contact us" e-mail on the foxconn website.

I am gonna send an e-mail to WebAdmin@foxconn.com and see what I get. I'll post responce.

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Contributor
tjr72
0 Kudos

Thanks for checking into this.

My router is provided by work and has multiple VLANs for voice, home, and business (complicated) and I don't want to fiddle with it.  Changing MTU size on the device is the advice I receive from my company's help desk, has solved the issues with all other devices, and has been easy to do on every device until now.  Usually it's just an option under advanced wireless settings; MTU Size : XXXX (usually 1500 is default).

Thanks again.  I'd like to see this wireless setting show up in future software updates.

Contributor
tjr72
0 Kudos

I solved this problem.  I started thinking that if I could make changes on the router it would be easier than making the MTU size change on each and every device.  So after researching online I was able to make the change.  For anyone with a Cisco router and access to command line, the change was as follows:

interface Vlan1 (the VLAN interface for your Nook's wireless)

ip tcp adjust-mss 1452  (the number may be less for others, but this worked for me)

I still believe that having the MTU option in the wireless settings would be helpful.

I also believe that connectivity issues for many could be solved by reducing MTU size, either on the router or device.  Manufactures should make MTU less that 1500 by default (maybe 1350) to avoid problems of this sort.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting the solution tj. :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown