New User
qaplus
0 Kudos

Charge nook color with iPad's charger + Nook color cable?

I guess the official answer is no? But technically the iPad charger can supply 2.1A current at 5V. If i plug Nook Color's cable to it, will it work?

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: Charge nook color with iPad's charger + Nook color cable?

qaplus wrote:

I guess the official answer is no? But technically the iPad charger can supply 2.1A current at 5V. If i plug Nook Color's cable to it, will it work?

Here's the rating on the NC charger: 

Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.5A; Output: 5.0V 1.8A

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Correspondent
LGman

Desert_Brat wrote:

qaplus wrote:

Here's the rating on the NC charger: 

Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.5A; Output: 5.0V 1.8A

That IPad charger can supply 16.7 % more current. Depending on how the charging circuit is built in the nook, it may just take the maximum the brick can supply. If that's the case, then there is a chance the onboard charging circuitry could overdrive the battery and overheat. However, if the onboard circuitry has any current limiting features, which any good designer would put in, then it _may_ work.

But if it were me, I'd be a bit cautious and not risk it. Even using underpowered chargers can cause problems if the charging circuitry can't energize properly. But then again, since the nook was designed to work with standard USB ports which can only supply .5amp, I'd rather risk an underpowered charger than an overpowered one.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
Frequent Contributor
denchie
0 Kudos

Just a thought...

Current supplied by the chargers are variable depending on the load. What's constant is the amount of force (voltage). Ampere rating of chargers are the maximum amount of current they can produce. So if each device is rated 5v, and you are using the adapter with higher ampere rating or capability, this might work. 

I am not sure though about the polarity and voltage of each of the pins since polarity matters in the output current (DC).

For that, I still wouldn't suggest using that formula...

That's scary..

:smileywink:

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

Why?
New User
qaplus
0 Kudos

Just don't want to bring two chargers with me. And the iPad charger is about 1/2 the size of Nook color's.

The charging current usually determined by the device, not the charger. I'm just not sure if the nook's cable plug has different pin at both ends.