New User
Ashley8701
0 Kudos

Charging Problems

I bought my NC last year and only used it once and never need the charger. I try to use my NC today for the second time ever and it's only 13%. So I try to charge it but it says "not charging" this is literally my first time using the charger. What's the problem?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Charging Problems

You might have a faulty charger. You can try looking in a B&N or online for a new one, but the odds aren't always in your favor. If you have a standard microUSB charger cord (like for a phone), you could try that. It will take longer, but should work.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
Tammi_D
0 Kudos

What is it with the Nook Color and charging? My First Nook Color I was able to send to Barnes and Noble and they sent me a refurbished one.  Barley had it 1 month and it was not charging.  Contacted them and they sent me a new USB cable since I was still under warranty.  But now once again the USB cable is wiggling and trouble staying in to charge.  I never had this problem with my Nook 1st Edition or so far with my Nook HD.  Now I am worried that when my warranty runs out I will be left with a Nook that does not work.  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance
0 Kudos

I totally agree with you TammyD. I had a nook 1st edition and never had any issue.
Ibought a nook color...have it for a little over a year, and now have an issue with the usb cord not staying in place when charging.I have to put the Nook flat, plug in the cord, and place something under the plug that connects my nook and the plug (so it makes a connection and keeps it).
Contributor
Tammi_D
0 Kudos

YES! I gave my Nook Color to my little one so she would have something to use to read and watch Netflix on but this cord issue is really ticking me off. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

[ Edited ]

This long "n" lighted box on the end that plugs into the device is one of the problems with these cables. It is easily bumped or snagged, and that length of rigid box produces extra stress on the socket on the device the cable plugs into. While it should not normally be stressed too much if kept stationary while plugged in, it is possible for it to loosen up. Be very careful of stressing the actual connector in the device, since that can't be swapped out readily. Short of replacing the cable, there's not much more you can easily do, unless you can still get a swap under warranty.

According to the B&N web site, the NOOK Color/Tablet charging cable is available again for $9.95. It's apparently in stock at two stores local to me as well. If you don't have a spare, I'd recommend picking up a spare or two in case they become hard to find again.

Note that the cable issue sounds like something very different than what the first post in this thread was describing. That sounds more like an issue with the adapter or the battery in the device.

Contributor
KellieKatLady
0 Kudos

Thanks bobstro. I upgraded to an HD+, but I still like my original nc for reading.  I have been using a standard cable to charge my nc, but as you know it is a very slow process. I just ordered 2 new nc cables - one to use and one to keep as a back up. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

You should be able to charge at about 10% per hour (10 hours from zero charge) if you use a large enough AC adapter with a normal microUSB cable. Be sure to get one suited for tablets, at least roughly 2.1A.