New User
cmarie73
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Charging port

I'm wondering if anyone else has had trouble with the charging port on their Nook color?  I received my NC for Christmas last year.  In March, it would no longer charge.  Thankfully it was under warranty.  I went to Best Buy and got a new one.  Within a few months the same thing and then again!  So, I'm on my 4th Nook color!  I'm so frustrated.  I love my Nook, but I fear I won't be able to get a replacement every time!  Luckily, Best Buy has easily exchanged the device each time.  When I've called B&N they want to send me a refurbished Nook.  Seriously?!?!?  What happens is that over time the charger no longer is tight enough to connect properly.  It's the port, not the charger that goes bad.  When it's plugged in it says "not charging", but the light is on the charger.  Just curious how I could avoid this problem and if anyone else has experienced this.  Not sure I can recommend a NC because of this.

Thanks!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Charging port

cmarie73 wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone else has had trouble with the charging port on their Nook color?  I received my NC for Christmas last year.  In March, it would no longer charge.  Thankfully it was under warranty.  I went to Best Buy and got a new one.  Within a few months the same thing and then again!  So, I'm on my 4th Nook color!  I'm so frustrated.  I love my Nook, but I fear I won't be able to get a replacement every time!  Luckily, Best Buy has easily exchanged the device each time.  When I've called B&N they want to send me a refurbished Nook.  Seriously?!?!?  What happens is that over time the charger no longer is tight enough to connect properly.  It's the port, not the charger that goes bad.  When it's plugged in it says "not charging", but the light is on the charger.  Just curious how I could avoid this problem and if anyone else has experienced this.  Not sure I can recommend a NC because of this.

Thanks!

I've had mine since April and have no  problems with it, charger or otherwise.  Just to make sure, you are using the charger that came with it, not a charger from another device?  Also, I'm very careful when I plug it in, to make sure it is straight and I don't try and force it at all.

As far as the refurbished Nook, if you read the warranty, they can replace it with a refurbished one at their discretion.  Just like Apple, Amazon, and all the other electronic retailers.  Standard practice.

As I said, I've had no problems with it and I purchased a a refurbished one, not a new one and I there was no indication it was refurbished except for the sticker on the box.  I don't know why you would be having that problem, it's not been a widely reported problem.  Problems with the cable, yes, problems with the port, very few reports of issues.

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've had a NC since November of last year, and I haven't had any problems with charging it.  I did have a problem with the cable and B&N store replaced it.  Since then I only use the cable to charge it at night while i'm sleeping, and I don't use the NC while it's being charged (i've read too many stories here on the boards about problems ariseing from reading while the NC is plugged in and just don't want to take the chance).  Sorry to hear about the problems you are having...

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Reader
TiffanyS01
0 Kudos

I sympathize with you.  I have had mine now for one year and two weeks and am starting to have issues with the charging port.  You have to hold the cord at a certain angle or it will not make contact and charge properly.  I am extremely concerned knowing the price that was paid for this to only last one year.  I contacted B&N and the only advice they had was it was the charger, NOT the device.  I know its not the charger.

New User
mikezoid
0 Kudos

lots of us have the same problem. i love my nook but after a certain time it got harder and harder for it to charge. after it wouldnt charge i got a new charger and it charged fine. soon afterwords it started getting harder to charge again. the only way i could get it to charge it to change the angle at which it would charge. then it would say it was charging when it wasnt and not when it was. it also finally failed and now i dont think it is the charger anymore or the battery. now the port is the problem, so the only solution is to get a new one.

Contributor
BookBot
0 Kudos

The charging cable is poorly made. The wall plug-in is fine, You can use a standard cable with a microUSB connection (your phone charger may have one) instead. HOWEVER your charge time will be extended. Mine charges overnight with a standard USB to microUSB cable. You can pick one up for about $1.

New User
tuttobella
0 Kudos

So Frustrated!!! I decided to research this tonight as I also got my nook color las Feb, love the nook but not the charger. Got mine from Best Buy , charger broke again tonight, so when I go tomorrow, this will be my fourth I have to take back. I am not happy as this happens about every three months and my best buy guarnatee is up in March. The bad thing is that this charger is the only one that will work with the nook color. Has anyone found a different one to work?

Thanks

Mindy

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Yes! I've been gradually having problems getting my refurbished Nook Color to charge. I always charge it in the same location while it's sitting still but it's taking longer and longer for the charging signal to come on the screen. This weekend it's become almost impossible and tonight I haven't been able to get it to work at all. I did try other cords we happened to have here just to see if it was a problem with the Nook or the original cord. None of them have worked.

This is making me crazy! I love my Nook and have only had it since October 2011. It's my first ereader and I use it every day. I'm in the middle of a really good book and only have 40% of my battery left. I bought it through Buy.com from Barnes & Noble. I'm not even sure where to start but tomorrow I'm making phone calls. Any advice or suggestions?

New User
Lizard86
0 Kudos

The same thing happened to my NC and i bought a new charger only to find out that the new charger didnt work. I dont know what to do now
Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

One thing I found, I have to be sure and plug into the NOOK first then into the wall.

Reader 2
BigBlueEyes
0 Kudos

This sounds like the same problem I've started experiencing.  I plug the charger cord into the Nook port, but the light does NOT come on telling me that it's started to charge.  I have to either jiggle the plug or unplug and plug it back in a couple of times until it connects properly and the light comes on.  It seems like the port has worked itself loose or something.  I plug my Nook in to charge every day because I'm an avid reader and like to always have a full charge when I take it with me someplace.

Has technical support offered any suggestions or solutions to this issue yet?

New User
busterJS
0 Kudos

how can you or any one say it is not a wide spread problem just read all of the complaints. i am on my second NC the first one did the same as all the others it showed it was charging and wasn't even plugged in, finally wouldn't take a charge . I always use only the charger that comes with the NOOK ,BN sent me a refurbished on which was ok with me, but now I am having the same problem, I even ordered a new NC charger from BN  for  14.95 and am still having the same problem , now my warrenty is up when is BN going to address the problem

New User
txbreze

It is not the charger. I have one of the first nooks. It has been great. I loaned it to someone. They were not careful with putting the cord in the port. This kind of port will break over time. The port is a manufacturer flaw. I had a cell phone with the same type of port. Again, it is the type of port that is the problem...
New User
slj2509
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem and it's not under warranty so I can't trade it in.  I spent good money on this thing and it irritates me to no end that after having it a year and a half I can't even use it anymore b/c it won't charge.  When I called to see what could be done they said I would have to buy a refurbished one as well.  I got this when it first came out so it wasn't cheap and now I have to BUY a refurbished one?  I have spent a ton of money on books for this thing and can't even read them!  I see a Kindle in my future.