New User
stnek
0 Kudos

Update: Color nook power cord

After my experience with the 800# and reading some of the posts it look like should have waited a little before comment further.

Neverthless, my wife (her nook) the tablet serial number, bad cord and the wall charger and went to the store where I purchased it for her.  She talked to the counter person, they asked to see the nook, she said the nook was at home but she had the serial number.  Clerk said good. 

Got a new cord and charger and kept the old one.  No discussion, no problem, GREAT Service...  Got to give credit where credit is due. 

So for us, wiht the above conditions all went well.

Good luck to the rest of you.

BTW...  the phone guy said to call in about 3 days to see if they are in stock.  Remember, not in stock the order will get canceled and no notification.  So call backs will be a must if one want's to know whats going on.  Go to the store and try to get the problem resolved first.

Once again, fat dumb and happy.

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

Re: Color nook power cord

I bought the leather Nook charm and when I charge my battery slip the plug thru the loop, it gives suppoert under the plug and it is also right there on the Nook when I need it.

Reader
18d30

need one for off warranty color. b/n says so sorry we are out and don't think we will get more.. try elsewhere. ok if that's the game you play. I will go elsewhere. to the Apple store
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Did you try ordering one online?

New User
wrestledancemom
0 Kudos

My mom and I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday for a cord for her NC.  We were told since they do not make the Nook Color any longer....they are not making the cords either.  We bought 2 so that we have a spare.  I have had mine almost 2 years and I am on my second cord.  My mom has had hers almost 3 years and she is on her 5th one.  I do not have much luck charging mine with a regular USB cord (the one from my phone).  I cannot get it to charge at all.

I have a Kindle ordered because I am unhappy with the fact I cannot get a power cord for my Nook.  I was going to upgrade my Nook but I will just use the Nook app on my phone for the books I still need to read.  I don't want to purchase one to have them quit making a cord for it as well.

bobstro

This Kindle is not the (An)droid you're looking for

[ Edited ]
wrestledancemom wrote:

[...] I do not have much luck charging mine with a regular USB cord (the one from my phone).  I cannot get it to charge at all.

The cord is probably fine. The wall adapter you are using might not be powerful enough. A typical phone adapter provides roughly 500 mAh out output power. For a NOOK Color, you want one that puts out 2,100 mAh (2.1 A). The good news is that these are fairly easily to find cheaply these days.
With a common microUSB (phone) cable and 2.1 mAh adapter, it should charge at about 10% per hour, or overnight. Not as fast as with the B&N cable, but hopefully enough to be able to use your device daily if you top it off at bedtime each night.

I can understand your frustration. It seems most of the big-name manufacturers have gone down the path of proprietary connectors, cables and/or chargers. Partially for practical reasons (limits on USB power per standards), and partially out of greed (especially when they sell a simple cord for $30).
[...] I have a Kindle ordered because I am unhappy with the fact I cannot get a power cord for my Nook.  I was going to upgrade my Nook but I will just use the Nook app on my phone for the books I still need to read.  I don't want to purchase one to have them quit making a cord for it as well.

If you just want a solution rather than just trading B&N proprietary issues for Amazon proprietary issues, you might want to check out the HiSense Sero Pro 7 at Walmart for about $150. It's a nice little 7 inch tablet that provides amazing power and features for the price. The screen resolution is 1,270 x 720, which is a bit better than the NC's 1,024 x 600. It sports a quad core CPU and 1 G RAM. It's fully open to the Google Play Store, and you can easily find alternative reader programs that will read B&N's DRM-encumbered books, as well as B&N's own NOOK Reader for Android app. It charges off a standard microUSB cable. It also offers bluetooth and HDMI out, if those are useful to you. The only criticism I have is the battery life. I tend to get 6-8 hours out of it versus the NC's 8-10. Of course, that all depends on usage and settings.

I can understand wanting to get rid of your headache. Just be sure you don't give yourself a bigger one by switching to Amazon's own version of proprietary hell. You need to think about your existing investment in B&N ebooks as well, since those can't be read on a Kindle.

Frequent Contributor
geertm

When using another charger you will not see a charging message on the screen. But that is just a software message (only triggered by the original charger). The Nook is charging fine, there is just no charging message on the screen.

Reader
NHgirlTH
0 Kudos

I'm yet another frustrated Nook color user.  My son and I each have a nook color. They'll be 2 years old this coming Christmas.  Between the two of us we have replaced the power cords 5 times. Personally I think this

ridiculous and an obvious design failure.  I stopped into Barnes & Noble to pick up the latest replacement yesterday. I had to ask a sales person for one. It seems they are now keeping them locked in drawer. I was forced to listen to a lecture about the proper charging procedure.  REALLY???? Come on, hasn't anyone heard of customer service?  I was talked down to, and she told me that the nook color isn't an e-reader for reading it is a tablet.  Well honey, if I really wanted a tablet I sure as heck wouldn't have brought a nook color because it is a terrible web browser.  It's great for reading and watching netflix, but beyond that I find it very slow and frustrating.

The battery display on mine has been reading 25% for the past 6 months, dispite a reset. I think that when it finally dies I'll replace it w/a real 7" tablet.

bobstro
0 Kudos

If you want a cheap yet capable tablet, check out the Hisense Sero Pro 7 I wrote about above. There are plenty of other good, inexpensive tablets to choose from these days as well. Though I understand your frustration with B&N, the newer NOOKs are priced very competitively these days as well.