toniwilson64
0 Kudos

Color nook power cord

My power cord came apart, when I pulled it from the nook

Wordsmith
Melissa19
0 Kudos

Re: Color nook power cord

Sorry to hear of your problem. The power cord is covered under the base warranty. Call 1-800-the-book and they will quickly send you out a new one.
Melissa19
Correspondent
AneMailname
0 Kudos

good luck! I've tried twice to get mine replaced only to have them say they will send a new one and then I never get anything.

I hope it works for you!

“To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.” ~Victor Hugo
Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie
0 Kudos

toniwilson64 wrote:

My power cord came apart, when I pulled it from the nook

The Nook Color power cord is a known weak point.  If you have a B&N near you I suggest you go there for an immediate replacement.  

My first one fell apart six days after I got my NookC.  I went the same day to a B&N store and they replaced the charger and cable with a new one.  That cable lasted about a month til the end split apart and, as I was out of town, I went to a different B&N.  They weren't quite as accomodating but it still wasn't a problem to get them to replace the cable.   

Correspondent
FARIEQUEENE
0 Kudos

Just call the customer service line or go in a BN store, CS was very quick about helping me with my cord issue.  :smileyvery-happy:

"I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king."
Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

Within the first 2 weeks after I bought the NC, the silver connector on the wire started wiggling way too much and my local B&N brick & mortar store promptly replaced it. Many customers have had the cord replaced. 

Wordsmith
Melissa19
0 Kudos

I recommend not using your nook color while it is charging. If you are holding it then you will probably end up resting the nook color on the charger which can bend the metal micro usb tip or separate the plastic.
Melissa19
Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie
0 Kudos

Melissa19 wrote:
I recommend not using your nook color while it is charging. If you are holding it then you will probably end up resting the nook color on the charger which can bend the metal micro usb tip or separate the plastic.

The first time I plugged in the charge cable I was startled by the design.  My solution was as simple as a piece of plexiglas.  I cut it to the size I wanted and slid it behind my NookC between it and the book case/cover it is in.  The plexiglas extends several inches below the NookC and protects the cable from being bent.

I don't know why NookC was designed this way but my niece's Kindle is the same.  It's not such a problem with the Kindle because of the lengthier battery life but when she saw mine she had me cut her one too.   

Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

My USB cable went south after about 6 months. I have a seperate cable for the car. So, I had backup. I did purchase a replacement. I knew by it's overall construction that the USB CABLE was going to be delicate. So, I made sure I handled this cable by the 1cm x2cm power LED casing(bezel) and not use the attached shielded cable to pull the mini USB connector from my NOOKcolor. It is recommended standard practice NOT to use the patchcords or powercords as a means to remove them from their connections. This practice usually weakens the solder joints that connect the cable wires to it's connectors. This is why most interface cable manufacturers use stress relief grommets where the cable enters the connector. After my USB RECHARGING CABLE failed ( first by not activating the green LED when charge is complete, second after further use, degrading to no LED indications with no charging occuring. Being a retired computer hardware engineer, I geeked out and removed the 2cm x 1cm casing from the USB cable's and looked closely with my high magnification glasses. I found that 1 black(Jumper) wire had broken it's solder joint to the little SMT PCB. This black jumper wire was connected to a crimping ring that I assume grimped around the cable shield for a mechanical SHIELD GROUND. There is another black wire that is part a the cable assem. that possibly is LOGIC GROUND or the 0Vdc GROUND REFERENCE. The grimping ring was loose and the solder joint to the black jumper broken... This problem was more than likely caused by insuffisient stress relief. So, Tech. Support , I don't know if you or the manufacturer is aware of this and can be fixed with a simple redesign. This problem "nickle & dimes" the customer and in my opinion not a good practice for any company that has any ethics should engage. I'm sure B&N will live up to it' good standing and address this problem many customers have dealt.
"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy... so, take it easy..." the Eagles

... If knowledge is power, why do I have to keep recharging my ereader ?
New User
MsSheila
0 Kudos

Well....it's been well over a year from early posts.... and they still haven't fixed the poor design of the cord...had mine a little over a month now and the charge tip broke today.  :smileysad:    Might have to go sit in my car to charge and finish the book I'm reading!  lol

Wonder why they haven't figured out how much these cords are costing them (most people have replace at least 1 or 2 while still under warranty) and made an L shaped plug that is flat on the bottom and won't be a problem when reading while charging?  Hello?

Oh well.  Still love my Nook Color!

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

Hi MsSheila,

Please PM me with your account info (email, serial number) and I'll look into this for you.

Thanks!

-Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Frequent Contributor
bookworm1215
0 Kudos

my cord died to, I went to my local Barnes and Noble store today in hopes of getting my cord replaced because it is under warrenty I was told that I had to call the 800 number and they could send me a new one in the mean time the store had a bunch right there on the shelf when I asked if I could just replace it with one here I was told no, so I asked to speak to a manager who told me I had to call the 800, funny enough the two cords the employee brought out to double check to see if my cord was in fact the issue were broken on the ends.  I know that these were returns but they could not do that for me.  I was not pleased with my local Barnes and Noble store...:smileysad:

Reader 4
H_Garbarino
0 Kudos

Re: Color nook power cord... Very frustrating!!!!

If you order, and you need it in a timely fashion, you have to call repeatedly to make sure your cord is on the way. Evidently they just cancel your order without notification. Here is what happened to me:

I called 1800The Book on Oct 27. Spoke to representative, who stated cord was in stock and would be sent. As of this weekend (Nov 6), still had not received it, so called again. Called in the evening, sounded like I woke the representative up, provided my order number, but could not (would not?) give me any other information regarding where the cord was. Turfed me to his fellow staffers for Monday morning. What a guy!

Just spent 45 minutes on the phone with the unfornate young lady, who was rather nervous, limited English and had to repeatedly place me on hold to consult with her higher resources. Finally admits my order was canceled Oct 29.  No reason? no notification? No back order? Just canceled.  As I am leaving for Asia in four days, I asked for expedited shipping. No go. Placed on hold again for further consultations. Cord order reactivated but will not arrive in time for my 29 hour flight & 8 hour bus ride. Nice?

Finally moved on to Customer Service (Supervisor?) Had to explain the whole situation again, of course. Had no answers as to why the order was canceled, why I did not receive any notification about the cancelation, or why I can't request expedited shipping. SO i have this lovely, expensive ereader that will be sitting here in the US for a month, loaded up with all the material I was saving for the medical mission, including documents. Totally useless. UGH. ToTaLlY let me down!!!!!!

So if you order a cord, call everyday, maybe twice a day! Tell them I sent you!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

H_Garbarino wrote:

Finally moved on to Customer Service (Supervisor?) Had to explain the whole situation again, of course. Had no answers as to why the order was canceled, why I did not receive any notification about the cancelation, or why I can't request expedited shipping. SO i have this lovely, expensive ereader that will be sitting here in the US for a month, loaded up with all the material I was saving for the medical mission, including documents. Totally useless. UGH. ToTaLlY let me down!!!!!!

You can charge the NC with any USB-charger of USB port. It will just take longer (6 to 8 hours instead of 3).

Reader 4
H_Garbarino
0 Kudos

have tried other chargers, and ordered one that said it was "compatible". However ended up a no-go--i wasnt getting any charge through it.  Just a very disappointing customer service experience--

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

H_Garbarino wrote:

have tried other chargers, and ordered one that said it was "compatible". However ended up a no-go--i wasnt getting any charge through it.  Just a very disappointing customer service experience--

You will not get the charging message (that is only triggered by the power charger) but the NC does really charge from any USB charger or USB port!

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

H_Garbarino wrote:

You will not get the charging message (that is only triggered by the power charger) but the NC does really charge from any USB charger or USB port!

H_Garbarino

I agree with geertm, Why not give it a try to charge through the USB?  I have done this several times in the past, you will not be able to use the NC while it is charging via USB port but it will charge over about an 8 hour period.  (I charge this at work when I'm in a pinch).  If your files are that necessary for your trip, it can't hurt can it, and you might actually be able to use it like you need to?

Good Luck.

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

New User
stnek
0 Kudos

Looks like I am a new member of the noop power cord problem crowd.  Just got off the 800 # about the problem, I hate out of us phone support!!!!!  During the process I was appologized to 14 times saying sorry about the problem but evidently two of B&N's support warehouses have NO Replacement Cables and have absolutely no idea when new ones will arrive, but they are on order - not sure how they know that.  Any orders will automatically be canceled and I was told I could buy a new cord or call back in 2 or 3 days and see if I could get an replacement order in.

At this point I have over $1,200 invested in my tablet and nook books plus some more $$$ in non book apps & other things stored on the nook.

The 800# people said they can not talk for the store but suggested I might check with them.  In the past talking with the actual stores (quite a few in our area) they can't much with service problems and I should call the 800#.  Needless to say I am not happy with the retail side telling me to talk with the service side and the service side.  Hopefully, the retail side will resolve the problem withouot too much arguing.

If one of the local retail stores will not replace the cable under warranty I will order a Kindle Fire and that will be the end of dealing with B&N retail or service.  I'm not real excited about having 2 e-book formats but I won't put up this type of customer service.  In the sceme of things I am an extremely small fish.  But I at least want to be a happy fish.

Best of luck to the rest of you, kj

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

stnek wrote:

Looks like I am a new member of the noop power cord problem crowd.  Just got off the 800 # about the problem, I hate out of us phone support!!!!!  During the process I was appologized to 14 times saying sorry about the problem but evidently two of B&N's support warehouses have NO Replacement Cables and have absolutely no idea when new ones will arrive, but they are on order - not sure how they know that.  Any orders will automatically be canceled and I was told I could buy a new cord or call back in 2 or 3 days and see if I could get an replacement order in.

At this point I have over $1,200 invested in my tablet and nook books plus some more $$$ in non book apps & other things stored on the nook.

The 800# people said they can not talk for the store but suggested I might check with them.  In the past talking with the actual stores (quite a few in our area) they can't much with service problems and I should call the 800#.  Needless to say I am not happy with the retail side telling me to talk with the service side and the service side.  Hopefully, the retail side will resolve the problem withouot too much arguing.

If one of the local retail stores will not replace the cable under warranty I will order a Kindle Fire and that will be the end of dealing with B&N retail or service.  I'm not real excited about having 2 e-book formats but I won't put up this type of customer service.  In the sceme of things I am an extremely small fish.  But I at least want to be a happy fish.

Best of luck to the rest of you, kj

B&N's official policy does not allow stores to replace cables or chargers. They have to direct you to the 800 number.

Until you receive a new cable you can charge your NC with any USB charger or USB port. It will just take longer (6 to 8 hours to fully charge) and you cannot use the NC while charging.

You will not get a charging message, but the NC will charge fine.

New User
stnek
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info & the following is not aimed at you, however, I am tired of paying full price or items and getting crapy customer service.

"B&N's official policy does not allow stores to replace cables or chargers. They have to direct you to the 800 number."  This policy put's a rough edge on building customer loyalty.  Evidently this is a known problem and maybe, just maybe, some manager at some level should take charge and say, until the 800 side can ship temporarly we will exchange out of store stock.  Unless B&N are idiots the cable has to have B&N cost of soemthing under 3 bucks if not less.  I would have no objection at all to pay $6 to $8 for a second cable.  Keep in mind the poor design (no stress relief on the cable/connector) end isn't the customer's doing.  B&N management could make an effort to make and emergency part order and air freight a shipment in to solve a problem. 

Leaving a computer with an 850 w. power supply for 6 to 8 hours, or longer cuz I'm not getting up to check if the charge is complete), charging a nook is not  ideal.