Frequent Contributor
__AJA__
0 Kudos

Re: Comics on NOOK color

I got some of the same results with PDF, but I found the zooming to be limited and sluggish. I suspect that's because the entire PDF is loaded, as opposed to a single jpg.

I also figured out the mysterious jpg problem. Cnook doesn't like some of the older jpgs. Must have to do with the formatting of them. Once I batch resaved some of the problem ones through Paint Shop Pro, they all worked fine....

Frequent Contributor
Mr_Gone
0 Kudos

I find those text bubble hard to read.. but looks good

Frequent Contributor
cssathya
0 Kudos

I would say it depends on the source comic. If the comic is large format (A4 size), then the balloons may be a bit hard to read. For smaller size comics (B4), it should be just fine.

But even for A4 size comics, it's not too bad.

New User
Michael_Jasper
0 Kudos

I just stumbled upon this topic, and here's a link to the comics section of Nookbook Bestsellers. For some reasonl, there are a lot of books on the list that aren't actually comics, but it's a start...

We just released issue 3 of our contemporary fantasy/SF/steampunk digital comic IN MAPS & LEGENDS on the Nook, and I know we had to adjust the text bubbles a bit to make them more readable. I haven't seen our comic on the Nook Color, but it looks great on the Nook -- you just have to turn it on its side to read it!

IN MAPS & LEGENDS on the Nook

And on the Nook Color, of course, it'll be in COLOR. Sweet.

We have issues 1-3 available in English and German, with more issues coming every 6 weeks!

New User
hgharmon
0 Kudos

I recently purchased a Nook Color and am extremely pleased with it as a comic reader. I convert my cbr/cbz files to epub using the nook color setting on calibre and they look great. The text is small, but still readible. No worse than some of the pocket size comics I get at the library.

My only problem is when I try and read some of the converted files I get an error dialog. I'd say 90% of the comics I've converted work fine, but I still get the error dialog every now and then. Do any of you experienced calibre users have any idea why this happens?

Correspondent
draksig
0 Kudos

hgharmon wrote:

I recently purchased a Nook Color and am extremely pleased with it as a comic reader. I convert my cbr/cbz files to epub using the nook color setting on calibre and they look great. The text is small, but still readible. No worse than some of the pocket size comics I get at the library.

I converted some CBZ Manga files to epub nook color setting and the results are great.  The NC screen is almost the size of Manga volumes anyway so they are fairly easy to read. 

Distinguished Correspondent
yoshipumkin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I imported the CBR directly into Calibre and converted it to a PDF.  I used the following settings for "Comic Input":

Disable conversion of images to black and white

Keep aspect ratio

Wide

Landscape

Don't sort

Don't know if all of those are necessary, but it looks great.  This was a Calvin&Hobbes compilation, so it was originally in landscape format.  Those settings made it a scrolling PDF with all the pages turned sideways for reading in landscape mode.  For a regular vertical comic, you'd probably want to leave "Wide" unchecked.  And PDFs can be pinch to zoomed, so everything's readable.

New User
AA45DD
0 Kudos

not many comics are on nook color but they are bound to relize that it would be a good idea

Contributor
Cthlhu
0 Kudos

If you have a rooted NC then I would strongly recommend Comixology. It runs like a charm.

New User
Michael_Jasper
0 Kudos

And here's something for comics creators who are trying to format their comics for the Nook (we also cover formatting for the Kindle):

Formatting Comics for the Kindle and Nook: A Step-by-Step Guide

New User
Tyrion81
0 Kudos

Now that they have released an app store, has anyone heard any word on a comic reader being made available? Thanks in advance!

Contributor
Traverser
0 Kudos

Do know they have a few comics on the app store for sale, however I havnt seen anything like Marvel, DC or Comixology. I really hope they do because Ive been missing out on my reading for a few months. Anyone know if there are plans for them to put those on there?
Contributor
Eluse
0 Kudos

I really hope Comixology does an app becuase I can't get thier web reader to work through the internet browser. Has anyone else been able to, is there a trick to it?

Contributor
Eluse
0 Kudos

Funny enough, as soon as I made the last post I saw an article about Archie comics coming to Nook via an app.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/05/02/archie-comics-barnes-and-noble-nook-digital-comics/

Hopefully others aren't far behind

bwg
Inspired Contributor
bwg
0 Kudos

I would love for some comics/graphic novels/manga to come to the B&N Library, just please, not as "apps."  They should be able to format them as NookBooks, I have converted several in Calibre just fine.  I want them in my Library where they belong.  :smileyhappy:

Reader 4
LenaF
0 Kudos

Since DC is publishing digitally on the same day as print is released, sure would be nice if the Nook App store had a subscription service for it. You know, similar to how magazines and newspapers are handled? That would be perfect. :smileyhappy:

http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/dc-comics-and-the-long-awaited-relaunch/

http://lenafrank.wordpress.com
Check out the horror/western novelette Night Feeders
Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

If using converted PDF's for your NC I like EZ PDF Reader. I have used files with the EZ PDF Reade that brought the native NC PDF Reader to it's knees.

Frequent Contributor
COBHC
0 Kudos

you just need to wait for the new software update 1.4.0 because the 1.3.0  donot support the format that the comics have

From BN support

my hate is constant and sharp and i do not hope for a better world for anyone in fact i want my pain to be inflicted on others