Contributor
kdmgr
0 Kudos

Computer doesn't recognize that NookColor is connected to computer

When I connect the USB to the computer the light on the USB comes on, but the nook and computer aren't communicating.  I can't download any adobe files from library. Getting very frustrated and out of things to read.

The cable charges the nook, but I am still wondering if it is the cable. I tried a different computer with the same result.

Suggestions?

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

Re: Computer doesn't recognize that NookColor is connected to computer

Are you sure that the NC is on, and is awake?

Even if mine is awake when I connect it to the computer, I still have to swipe it to wake it again, and then it shows as connected.

Contributor
kdmgr
0 Kudos

yes, it is turned on and awake.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

kdmgr wrote:

Try another micro USB cable.  You can use a regular micro USB cable to connect your NC to the computer to transfer files - you don't need the NC cable to do that.  This would at least eliminate the original cable as the problem. 

If you still can't connect to your computer then I would call Customer Service (1-800-THE-BOOK) and talk to them or go to your nearest B&N store and see if they can help you.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Contributor
kdmgr
0 Kudos

Using a different micro USB didn't work either.

I did notice that when I use the cable that came with the nook that the "n" on the cable turns red, green then yellow. Does this matter?

Inspired Correspondent
pen_name19
0 Kudos

kdmgr wrote:

Using a different micro USB didn't work either.

I did notice that when I use the cable that came with the nook that the "n" on the cable turns red, green then yellow. Does this matter?

My NC cable also changes colour when plugged into a computer, from green to "orange-ish".
    On the computer side, does it show anything at all that indicates something has been plugged-in? Is it a Mac, Windows-7 / -Vista / -XP? Both computers?
-- bye
Frequent Contributor
sparks3229
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

NC isn't recognized by my computer either...at least not on the front USB ports.  It works on the USB port on the back of my computer!  It also works just fine on my laptop! Also, when it does communicate, it recognizes my nook as MEDIA on ADE.  My husbands reg Nook comes up as Nook on ADE. The front USB ports work fine for my husbands Nook, and for our Ipods, etc.!!!

I took my cable back to B & N soon after I got my NC when I thought it wasn't working with my computer.  They replaced my cord, and still the same thing.  So now I use my  laptop, as it is easier to get to the USB port than pulling out the tower of my PC.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Things to try or look at-the rear usb ports (which others have done to no avail), another cord, preferably another NC cord, and also check and see what the device info says when the NC is plugged into a wall outlet.  It may not be getting a great connection.  I had a defective cord which suddenly when I connected it to the PC, changed from being hunky dory to an error message saying the device had stopped working.  When plugged into a wall outlet, in device info it said "not charging".  I then used a standard nook's usb cord, connected to the PC, and it worked.  I'd suggest going to a B&N store to try a NOOKcolor cord and see if yours is faulty.  They can also try your cord on other NCs.

I'm going to a limb here and say there could be some things that happen depending upon how NCs are connected.  One often ignored suggestion is to always plug the usb cord into the NC before plugging it into a power source.  Most have said this regarding wall outlets in particular-I don't know but it is possible that random bad things can be happening to cords due to this.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Correspondent
KJRad
0 Kudos

I connected my NC to my laptop PC for the first time this morning. The only way I found out that it was connecting was to double click the "Computer" icon on the desktop. There it showed the removeable drive. I was able to drag and drop directly into the removeable drive.

When I first plugged it into my PC I was expecting a "new hardware found" notice or something - but I didn't get anything except my camera software popped up. Weird huh?

Contributor
kdmgr
0 Kudos

I did call B&N. We did the things mentioned above. They determined I had a defective cable and are sending me a new one.

Contributor
kdmgr
0 Kudos

I would have thought it was the USB port had I not used another computer in the house with the same lack of results.

Distinguished Correspondent
dgiznya
0 Kudos

kdmgr wrote:

To be clear when you say "awake", you actually swiped you finger across the bottom to get to the home screen?  In other words "unlocked" it. 

DG

Someone once said "Ignorance is Bliss".
I have no idea if this is true, but I sure am happy!
Contributor
kdmgr
0 Kudos

yes. Totally awake, now it takes forever to charge with the cable, so bad cable.  Hope the new one gets here soon.

Contributor
SenorBlues
0 Kudos

Your NookColor should be fine once you get the new cable.  Up until yesterday, I had the same problem you did (cable light came on but multiple pc's and usb ports wouldn't recognize my NC, it charged up but really slowly). 

I took it to a B&N near me and the Customer Service rep told me that since the light was coming on for the cable, the cable was probably ok and I needed to call tech support.   I took it to another store and they gave me a new boxed cable/charger from behind the sales counter.   Took it home, tried it out, and the charge-icon showed up on the nook and the computer said "there you are".   It even seems like it's easier to insert the connector into the NC!

So no worries.

New User
dpwmusic
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem.  I have spent hours and hours working on possible solutions.  Please help!

New User
dpwmusic
0 Kudos

My laptop won't recognize it either....

New User
dpwmusic
0 Kudos

Contributor
stricknook
0 Kudos

go to a B&n store, shhhh dont let it get out but, the stores only return units- not cords or chargers, its somthing to do with the company return rules. just let them go through the motions with calling .com i got a nee cable in ten min. flat.

and as i understand it the nook cord is not a normal cord, i cant say for sure, i saw somwere its own simple driver and two extra connection points on it so its a charger and data transfer cable rather than one or the other, ive never tried "aftermarket" but theres people that have out there. id like to know what bluetooth accesories are working now.cameras,keyboards,and mice? anyone tried the external high gb drives with the matching micro plugs yet?

Contributor
stricknook
0 Kudos

you would get one quicker from a store, besides the .com is not the same company as the stores, the just share the name or some crazy shit,theres a bit of compeation to take advantage of, and otherwise the stores are much more helpful and educated than .com.

plus if your under warranty in store cords are free

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dpwmusic wrote:

I am having the same problem.  I have spent hours and hours working on possible solutions.  Please help!

As stated, probably a bad cable.  If computers won't recognize it or you get some message that says the device has stopped working AND your NC is awake, the cable is probably the culprit.  Take a look under settings-device info and see if it says "charging" when connected to a wall plug.  Or, if it's really slow to charge and go to a BN store if possible and have them try the cable and then have them try a good one on your NC.  Then, get a replacement cable.

Uh, and since no NOOKcolors were bought over a year ago, it is under warranty.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.