Correspondent
susgod
Accepted Solution

[Device issue] NC: Updated reader is a piece of cr#p!

Since I updated to 1.4.1, I have been having problems reading every side loaded book.

1) Several times in each sideloaded book the next page is white, The page after is printed, but jumped ahead in the text. I finally thought to change the background on the "white page" to nighttime black, and the missing text showed up in white. Conclusion: the updated reader is showing ocasional white print on white background. This is frustrating!

2) Several times in each sideloaded book, when I swipe to the next page, the book jumps to page one in the text. I have to "remember" the number of the page I left and select "GO TO PAGE" to get back to where I was reading. This is frustrating!

Please fix this horrible reader or go back to the unimproved version that had worked just fine.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: [Device issue] NC: Updated reader is a piece of cr#p!

Some folks are reporting that toggling into "use publisher's defaults" can help with some of these

issues.  You might want to look with Calibre to see if there's some odd markup in the files?  I know

I've occasionally run into some odd things (hammered TOCs,mostly) in books that looked OK but

were terrible sideloaded.

I'm thinking maybe there are new epub tags being seen by the reader, which weren't processed before and so hid some unusual formatting? 

Very likely simpler, you can roll  back to 1.3 if you like, or to 1.2 as well.

rollback:

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/clean-12-install.html

preserve:

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/12/keeping-your-nc-at-12-or-13.html

You don't need to root your device to do this - the second link explains a script for copying in

a single file from an sdcard.  After you're done, the device thinks it's updated...

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

Thank you Roustabout, I try it.

I had previously read the books on NC 1.1.0 without a problem. The most recent update fixed the problems in PDF, but created new problems in the epub reader.

Susan

Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67
0 Kudos

The Nook is designed to read books from Barnes and Noble. You're not going to get much sympathy from them because the books you read elsewhere don't work on your Nook anymore. 

Inspired Contributor
Dr_CTF

BN advertised support for multiple file types. Anybody who reads the advertisement or talks to an associate at the store will assume the nook is designd to read those document types as well.

From their website:

• Load EPUB (including Non or Adobe DRM) or PDF file types from your computer or microSD™ card7
  • Other documents supported: CBZ, XLS, DOC, PPT, TXT, DOCM, XLSM, PPTM, PPSX, PPSM, DOCX, XLX, PPTX

This latest update is buggy and causes significant reading issues for some customers.  The magazine reader has taken a few steps backward as well.

My guess is that BN tests the updates on a sample of devices that is not representative of the actual user-base, especially power readers. Or maybe there was just a big rush to get the "movie feature" pushed out in time for holiday sales, which tells me BN is selling nooks based on feature lists rather than taking an Apple-like zen approach of providing the best reading experience (which is more difficult to advertise and requires taking a long-view toward  bookselling).

The reading experience on all current nook devices is nowhere near mature yet so it's frustrating for power-readers to see nook development skew toward tablet "bling" that has nothing to do with reading.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dr_CTF wrote:

BN advertised support for multiple file types. Anybody who reads the advertisement or talks to an associate at the store will assume the nook is designd to read those document types as well.

From their website:

• Load EPUB (including Non or Adobe DRM) or PDF file types from your computer or microSD™ card7
  • Other documents supported: CBZ, XLS, DOC, PPT, TXT, DOCM, XLSM, PPTM, PPSX, PPSM, DOCX, XLX, PPTX

This latest update is buggy and causes significant reading issues for some customers.  The magazine reader has taken a few steps backward as well.

My guess is that BN tests the updates on a sample of devices that is not representative of the actual user-base, especially power readers. Or maybe there was just a big rush to get the "movie feature" pushed out in time for holiday sales, which tells me BN is selling nooks based on feature lists rather than taking an Apple-like zen approach of providing the best reading experience (which is more difficult to advertise and requires taking a long-view toward  bookselling).

The reading experience on all current nook devices is nowhere near mature yet so it's frustrating for power-readers to see nook development skew toward tablet "bling" that has nothing to do with reading.

Yep that was why I was forced to go the roll yer own CM7 SD card to boot to android. As for me it wasn't about games,etc..

It was getting a truly functioning ereading experience with optional ereader apps. Whether it was long standing bugs never fixed to lack of features. The nook color was seriously lacking in many ways.

Came to realize that B&N was never going to become a mature ereader. As they keep stacking new flashy things and never addressed the ereader issues of more capable,stable Mature ereader.

And totally disagree with poster that says it was designed for just B&N content. As they listed filetypes not a statement of just B&N books. And support for those filetypes is abysmal compared to more feature rich and stable ereader software out there. And ePubs are not a B&N format but a universal one in which the nook should be able to read as advertised.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Contributor
Dr_CTF
0 Kudos

Thanks Orb9220, I will look into your suggestion of installing an alternate OS for the NC just to maintain a minimally functional reading experience.  (Unfortunately, I'm not being sarcastic, despite the tone.)  I put down the $$$ for this NC because the last thing I want to do after working with computers all day is to root an embedded device just to read some magazines or epubs but hey I bet Netflix on the NC works great now.

At the time I thought BN was trying to sell a great reading experience but movies and angry birds probably moves more hardware in the short term.  When the next Roku update lets me read nookbooks on my TV then I won't have to complain on these boards anymore!

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

Yep I used this Roll yer own CM7 on an Sansa 8gb class 4 and runs smoothy.

And does nothing to the internal firmware and can dual boot. And holding down the "n" on boot up gives you option to boot into B&N side or removing the SD card same.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
bobstro

[ Edited ]

The 1.4.1 update finally got me to convert back to B&N's firmware off of Cyanogenmod. Just curious what these deal-breaker reader problems are? I've seen quirks, but no worse than with 3rd party readers. I've spent many an evening over the last 6 months trying every reader in the Android Market that I could find, and none offered any big advantage over the B&N 1.4.1 reader, so I've surprised myself by voluntarily re-entering the walled garden. Of course, I may not be reading the same things, or using it the same way.

Will you actually be able to read B&N magazine subscriptions with a 3rd party reader? 1.4.x is required to read enhanced content such as Conde Nast pubs. I just tried finding the bloody things using Aldiko and couldn't.

I'm all for stomping out of the room in a huff, but it loses it's effect if you have to come back in later! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Gail-and-John
0 Kudos

Wow, thanks for the link. 1.3 OTA cured me of updates. When my 8G micro sd arrives, I'll give a shot.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

and none offered any big advantage over the B&N 1.4.1 reader, so I've surprised myself by voluntarily re-entering the walled garden. Of course, I may not be reading the same things, or using it the same way.

Will you actually be able to read B&N magazine subscriptions with a 3rd party reader? 1.4.x is required to read enhanced content such as Conde Nast pubs. I just tried finding the bloody things using Aldiko and couldn't.

I'm all for stomping out of the room in a huff, but it loses it's effect if you have to come back in later! :smileyhappy:

The big advantage are choices for use. Like more stable and consistent use of shelves. More organizing options for books. More adjustments of fonts sizes,margins. True black night mode instead of gray. More features for annotating and notes. Just a much more feature rich customizing for the user. Also more capaple sync across devices with my android flavor.

Aldiko I believe at present can read B&N magazines in article mode only?

As to stopping out in a huff as just because B&N upgrades their reader is really no reason to go back for me. As been 2 yrs asking of members able to read epubs in landscape mode and they are just now adding it for users. 2yrs? that's even beyone the 18 month tech cycle when new more capapble & cheaper devices roll out. And the general time I upgrade the device all together.

And don't get to excited about the new firmware. With many complaints of losing wifi connections,purchased content,etc. still buggy and they removed the ability to sideload apps.

These issues may not pertain to you. But for others may be crucial.

I'm sorry but B&N had their chances over years and continue not to get it for me and many others.

If it is working  for you Great! and hope it brings you the pleasure of using. And enhanced content is a B&N thing and doubt any 3rd party will support it.

But am tired of continuing to struggle and fight with B&N's lack of customers concerns and feedback being ignored or addressed in a timely matter.

bobstro
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote: [...] Aldiko I believe at present can read B&N magazines in article mode only?

I wasn't able to locate the actual magazine file using Root Explorer. Any idea where they're stored? I've got both Conde Nast enhanced and normal unenhanced magazines to test with Aldiko. I'm not expecting them to work due to DRM and such, but if they do, that's one barrier less to leaving. If they don't work, loss of access to subscribed magazines may be a big obstacle, at least until your current subscriptions run out!

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Don't know as haven't tried my self. But would import from Aldiko and browse to where emmc on the nook is and look in there. Maybe locating first hooked up to computer and use file browser to locate MyNOOKcolor\B&N Downloads\Magazines ?

And from aldiko then import and browse to location and import into aldiko.

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@orb:  "2 yrs asking of members able to read epubs in landscape mode and they are just now adding it"

That's not really fair.  It took them far too long to deliver landscape for epub, but the NC has only been on the market for 13 months and I don't recall the N1E having had landscape mode reading announced as a feature during the launch, as was true for the NC.  

On magazines:

On "new partitioning" NCs, there is a new structure to where things from BN land.

Look in /data/media/ for the B &N folders that have your books and magazines.  

The straigh epub files can be read with any epub reader and work great.

The gynormous enhanced epub files require the new reader and are a waste of room in any event - I subscribe to the New Yorker.  It's delivered to the NST in a 2.5M file, to the NC in a 160M file.  

I copy the 2.5 M file over to the NC and rename it.  The enhanced files end in something like af.epub but the identifiers are, thankfully, the same, so simply renaming the little file keeps the NC from downloading the big one again and any reader I like can open it.  

I would really like a way to specify "non-enhanced magazines only" in my account preferences.  I'll go suggest that on the ideas forum.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

I was happy with the previous update.  I would have just rolled back if my only problem was the reader. In addition to problems with the misnamed “updated” reader, I reached my max in apps by loading only  161 MB in apps. It seems the rest of the 500 MB in the original partition has been reserved by B&N. Since I now have to buy a microSD card, I bought the card from N2A.  I am very happy with their service.  I am comfortable using the Aldiko reader on the N2A card. I think it is an improvement over the malfunctioning reader on Nook Color. I hope B&N will fix it in the next update.

I now have the best of both worlds. I can still use the stock Nook Color or I can enjoy reading and using a lot more apps on the android. Of course some of my money is now going to providers other than B&N.

bobstro wrote:

The 1.4.1 update finally got me to convert back to B&N's firmware off of Cyanogenmod. Just curious what these deal-breaker reader problems are? I've seen quirks, but no worse than with 3rd party readers.

-snip-

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

The 1.4.1 update finally got me to convert back to B&N's firmware off of Cyanogenmod. Just curious what these deal-breaker reader problems are? I've seen quirks, but no worse than with 3rd party readers. I've spent many an evening over the last 6 months trying every reader in the Android Market that I could find, and none offered any big advantage over the B&N 1.4.1 reader, so I've surprised myself by voluntarily re-entering the walled garden. Of course, I may not be reading the same things, or using it the same way.

I've keep trying to use CM7 and have downloaded a few eReaders, including Aldiko, and have not found them satisfactory. They have some background color/texture features that I wish the B&N reader has, but I actually like B&Ns font choices more than Aldiko's. And I can't find a way to organize books into subshelves in the CM7 readers like I can with the NC. Aldiko read my magazines, but as noted above, only article view (no images or "magazine experience"). The B&N reader on Android is a little buggy and also doesn't have the book organization options the NC environment has. Finally, and this is the cruncher, I was unable to import my purchased B&N books. It imported all my other free and sample ePub and PDF material, but not the purchased books. Ultimately, after trying CM7 several times, I end up back at NC 1.4.1 and I enjoy it more for reading. I admit, I could be missing some setting or something that would tilt me back.