Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

Difficult to slide charger into Nook Color

[ Edited ]

Is anyone else having an issue sliding the provided micro-USB cable/charger into the Nook Color? Mine requires some angling and finagling to get in. Was wondering if this is a common issue, or if I'm just really, really unlucky.

Also, when my unit is completely charged and turned off (not sleeping), the nook symbol on the charger is like 3/4's green and 1/4 orange, instead of being completely green. When completely charged and turned on, the charger is completely green though.

I don't feel like exchanging unless I can be reasonably sure the next one doesn't have the same problems. Thanks.

Contributor
LittlePaperBoutique

Re: Difficult to slide charger into Nook Color

Mine is the same way, I have to really shove it in there to fit.  And if you touch it at while while it is charging, it turns off.  It really is an issue when I am loading items on there, my Mac keeps having an error popping up saying that I disconnected without ejecting properly.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I struggled last night. I thought it was in it's case crooked or something.

Contributor
zombieprocess

I also have been experiencing this problem. (hard to slide in micro usb into the NOOKcolor.)

It is a little concerning that it will be rendered useless if any of the pins end up catching and folding up into the socket.

:smileyindifferent:

Contributor
DivineKittyCat

I just bought mine today, and it didn't seem difficult the first time I connected it, but now it's really, really hard to get it to go all the way in.

My light is amber, but then again, I haven't given it a chance to charge all the way up to see if it turns all the way green yet. I've been having too much fun playing with it.

I suppose, though, that having a tight connection is better than having a loose one? The one on my classic nook was so loose I ended up having to get a replacement...:smileyindifferent:

Wordsmith
watchingDclock

[ Edited ]

OK, I'm "glad" I'm not the only one with this problem. And yes, I also worried about breaking something. lol.

Anyway, I wound up exchanging mine for a new one, and this one is a bit better. The cable still doesn't slide cleanly into the Nook Color, but it seems less troublesome than the one I returned. I think the best way to get it in on a consistent basis is to angle the plug slightly.

Also, the light on the charger is a solid green on the new one when it's off, as opposed to being green/orange.

It seems like a quality control issue though, for sure. The one I returned had a few dead pixels, as well. My new one has a creaky back cover, and the liner between the touch screen and the glass where the "n" home button is, was actually sticking out. :smileyindifferent:

Also, the one I returned would double tap a lot with the charger plugged in, but my new one doesn't exhibit this glitch. Also, in general, the keyboard seems A LOT more responsive and accurate.

Distinguished Correspondent
The_Most_Happy

I'm having difficulty connecting the charger to my NC as well.  I am seriously considering returning the device because of it.  This wouldn't be such a concern to me if the NC had lengthier battery life and required less frequent charging.  However, I expect I'll need to charge it several times a week and I have no interest in "fighting" and "coaxing" the adapter with every charge. 

My recommendation would be to exchange it at a local B N store and test the adapter connection of the replacement.  while in the store.

Contributor
Rob71MN

I am having the same issue, although I suspect this won't last very long. After charging it a few times the connection should loosen up a bit and the connector should slide in easier.

Contributor
Kingers6
0 Kudos

Ditto!

Frequent Contributor
__AJA__

Me too. Brought my Nookcolor back to the B&N store. They said a lot of people are having hte problem, and not to worry about it. As long as you can get it in and it charges, there should be no problem. I'm gonna be PISSED if it breaks because of this and I have to wait weeks for a replacement...

Also -- I compared mine to the others they had inthe store. The others were easier to plug usb in, but they all leave about a 1/10" of space between the unit and the butt-end of hte usb plug showing. This makes it 'look' like it isn't plugged in all the way, but apparently it is.

Hint: Its easier to get plug in if you angle it up as you plug it in...i.e. hold hte plug lower than the unit, tilt it up toward the unit, and slide it in that way. Seems to work best that way...

Frequent Contributor
sassyreaderva

AC adapter!@!&%

Just wanted to let everyone know I LOVE the new NOOKCOLOR.. Just picked up today and after a few glitches I am up and running plus side loading my library books. BUT  I hate the AC adapter!! It is not small or flexible like the original NOOk adapter. It is also not easy to put into the NC,, That being said  The Color and clarity on the NC is beautiful.. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
The_Most_Happy

Re: AC adapter!@!&%

I second this complaint.  I recharged my NC this afternoon and it is a chore and a half connecting the adapter to the device.  I can't imagine customers with arthritis or compromised dexterity being able to cope easily with this. 

After one use, I'm concerned the AC adapter cable is malfunctioning.  The "N" remains orange after several hours of charging.

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

Re: AC adapter!@!&%

Frequent Contributor
cssathya
0 Kudos

You are not alone. I bought mine yesterday and I am having the same issue as well. Fear is the same - that it does not break the connections.

Frequent Contributor
mareofearth
0 Kudos

My charging cable was very difficult to put in the first time, and was a little smoother each time until now, after about 5 or 6 times, it just slides right in. I think it was caused by the retention detents on the connector - once they were used a bit, they fit better.

Insanity doesn't run in my family, it gallops.
New User
Slmnfit1
0 Kudos

SOB!!!!  The charger is a piece of c..p!  the first one was very difficult to slide in so I exchanged it and they had to replace the entire nookcolor, BECAUSE, unlike the ipad,  B and N doesn't carry accessory essentials IN THE STORE.

How can you come out with a new product and be half equipped?  Placement of the charging port is VERY POOR DESIGN:smileymad:  Cannot sit at the table with it charging since the edge won't sit flat...very uncomfortable. should have been on top.  Cannot use just any micro usb, tried the i-go ....NO GO!  I'm thinking about returning and getting the ipad. I am sooo pissed off!

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

LittlePaperBoutique wrote:

I have to really shove it in there to fit.  

I have the same problem.

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Reader 2
Jassinc6
0 Kudos

I was also experiencing this problem. Just as it seemed to be getting a little better, I now have a more urgent problem. When I connect my NC to my pc via the USB my ADE does not even acknowledge it anymore. If I go to My Computer and then try to open the Nook, I get an error telling me to insert a disk in Drive E and the same when I try to open Drive F. What this means to me is now I cannot move library books to my Nook from my pc. So far the cable was okay when I last charged it. I followed the instructions for setting up ADE and NC and that was okay with the exception that instead of it showing up on my ADE as "Nook", it showed up as Xmedia, but name difference aside, I have been able to load 4 library books. I was wanting to load a couple of pdfs to see how they display and just can't get it to open. Bad cord? Should I return or is there an easy fix?

Thanks for any help.

Frequent Contributor
davedesrosiers

For those of you with extremely touchy chargers, i have found that B&N have no problem with a unit swap. That is definitely a hardware issue. If you read the manual, you are supposed to be able to use the NC while it is charging. Don't settle for something that isnt promised. not for $250

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

I had the same issue. I looked very closely at the charger end and saw that its not completely straight, there is a little bump in the metal of the flat side of the plug. I very, very gently flattened it out and it works much better. I would say that is very poor quality control.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors