Correspondent
dandelion_cottage
0 Kudos

Do archived items free up space on the NC?

This may seem like a silly question  :smileyhappy:, but what happens to archived items?

When I archive a book or app, am I actually freeing up space on my NC? Or do I have to delete the item to do that?

Thanks!

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Re: Do archived items free up space on the NC?

Here is what I think happens...  Archived Apps and books are removed from the Nook so storage space is made available for new Apps or books.  Barnes & Noble maintains servers that hold all the purchased and free Apps and books each account obtains.  So this is why you can unarchive and item.  When you unarchive an item it is simply downloaded again because the server knows you already purchased or selected the item.  When you delete an App or book it is removed from both the Nook and the B&N servers so if you want to install that item again you will have to purchase or select it again.

New User
TaylorLikesToRead
0 Kudos

I just got my Nook Color a month ago and still learning things.  From what I can tell I have almost 5 gigs free'd up with 1 extra gig totally unused.  If I get too many things on it that it starts to lag or get full then I will archive the ones I have already read and make space for new ones.  The way I see it is by archving you are taking the book or app that you own and putting it safely online on the BN website to hold in your account and give you free space for something else.  Later if you want to change things out you can do that too.  Does this sound about right?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

TaylorLikesToRead wrote:

I just got my Nook Color a month ago and still learning things.  From what I can tell I have almost 5 gigs free'd up with 1 extra gig totally unused.  If I get too many things on it that it starts to lag or get full then I will archive the ones I have already read and make space for new ones.  The way I see it is by archving you are taking the book or app that you own and putting it safely online on the BN website to hold in your account and give you free space for something else.  Later if you want to change things out you can do that too.  Does this sound about right?

Yes, pretty much. Just remember that if B&N loses the rights to sell the eBook, depending on the contract they have with the rights holder, you may or may not be able to redownload it later.  So it's important to remember to keep a back up copy as well.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716