Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Does NOOK Color have purchase password option similar to NOOK V 1.5

My daughter has requested a NOOK Color for Christmas.

If I get it for her I would register it to my B&N account so she could download and read books I have already purchased for my NOOK.

Does NOOK Color have the option of requiring a password to purchase books the same as the 1.5 software release on my original NOOK?

If so it would let her download any book that I have purchased on my NOOK while preventing her from buying books on her own.

Inspired Contributor
MsAmberRocks

Re: Does NOOK Color have purchase password option similar to NOOK V 1.5

It does have password protection- in fact you could even set her up with her own account so she can not access any books you may not want her reading.

You can sideload any books you have already purchased via B&N and will just need to enter the credit card number that you bought the books with to give her access to them.

Here is a link for more info... 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Two-Nook-Household/m-p/520027#M9786

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Thank you MsAmber.

I prefer sharing an account, I just wanted to make sure she had to come to me for purchases since I am using a debit card and need to remember to enter each book purchase in my checkbook register.

Correspondent
lisat96
0 Kudos

You can set up a separate account for your daughter with your debit card.  I did this for my daughter.  The account has her name on the account, my e-mail address (different from the one I use on my account), my name on the shipping address, my credit card number.  The password needs to be something she can't guess since it's the code that is used to lock purchases.  I sideloaded all the books from my account that I thought she would like and tested out buying from her account.  When I buy a book from her NOOKcolor, it asks for the password so she'd have to bring the device to you to fill it in.  Since the card number and shipping name (I assume this is what they're using for billing address too) matched my account, I didn't even have to activate the books that I sideloaded.  One drawback is that some of the sideloaded content just displays the name and title on the bookshelf, even though those files have cover art in them and that's even when I use calibre to sideload them so that I end up with a separate cover image file too  Some of these were B&N books, so I'm hoping this will be addressed in the next release.  The other drawback is that if she's currently reading a sideloaded book, she won't be able to put a shortcut to the book on the home screen.  My daughter will have to live with those issues for now since it prevents her from being able to download everything already purchased on my account from her device, since some of it isn't appropriate for her age.